“Excellent choice” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 43 Charleston B&B and Inns
Charleston, South Carolina
“Excellent choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

All the staff were extremely friendly and went out of their way to make our stay memorable. Within walking distance to all of the historic district. Afternoon tea was served along with wine, cheese/crackers, a bundt cake and homemade candy. Breakfast was served to you at the dining room table or we choose the outdoor side porch. Several times the waitress/cook would ask if you wanted refills of anything. Each morning the entree was different along with juice and fruit.
Our room was on the main level, queen bed, very clean and roomy, bath with shower. WIFI connection worked well in our room. Even thou we were on the main level it was very quiet.
I would not hesitate to recommend this Inn to friends planning on visiting Charleston

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Marina del rey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

When we booked this B&B knowing it was a Select Registry pick and the cost we thought we would be staying at an outstanding B&B. The pros are that it is in a great location and the home is beautifully decorated and has much history attached. However, the cons are that one half of a B&B is the breakfast and that had a lot to be desired. There wasn't much effort or originality put into it. Same fruit cup all three days. Scrambled eggs with two sausages (you could get that at any coffee shop). A blueberry strata and a ham and cheese casserole. Definitely portion control! Two young students met us upon our arrival in the afternoon. They were also in charge of the afternoon tea. OK that's fine but never did meet the owner all three days of our stay. Felt more of a hotel and not staying at someone's home. We were told upon checkout it had recently changed hands and encouraged us to write a review. This place needs some tender loving care (a fresh coat of paint would help). And New, the cat, we miss you !

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
ManagerGHI, Manager at Governor's House Inn, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
So sorry for you issues. I did contact this guest upon viewing this review and spoke with them about their breakfast portions. Along with the eggs and sausage there were hash browns a home baked muffin as well as fruit on the plate. We do fill the plates for our guests so they will not leave the table hungry. I apologize if you did not feel there was enough food to satisfy you. I do ask staff serving breakfast to always check with the guest to see if they're happy with their dish and if not we can always prepare something else. I hope they did so for you. The owners are here often but do have another home and immediate family out of state so they are not on property at all times. They are however in constant communication with management and care greatly for their inn. All staff however, (even the young adults) are kind and polite, help with any dinner arrangements, transportation, directions, amenities for your room and the list goes on. Young adults yes, but much of the staff are age 40+. Thank you for your input.
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

We just returned from a fabulous weekend at the Governor's House Inn in Charleston! My mother was recently married at the Inn and our families all had a the pleasure of staying there for the weekend. I can not say enough good things about this place - from the staff to the food, every detail was taken care of and perfected.

You truly feel at home yet pampered at the same time. Each room is uniquely decorated. My husband and I stayed in the Barbados Room on the bottom level of the main house. It was fabulous, comfortable and allowed us to enjoy a semi-private porch with a breezeway.

We held the wedding ceremony and small reception for the wedding on the upstairs porch. It was the perfect location and the team at the Governor's House assisted with all of the details to ensure it was the perfect day.

The breakfast served daily was delicious and always different! Wonderful selection and service. I don't think I will ever stay in a regular hotel in downtown Charleston again after enjoying the inn. The porch alone is worth it!

Wonderful all the way around! Looking forward to many more fun weekends here!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

We often stay in Select Registry inns when we travel and so, when planning our trip to Charleston, we opted for the Governor's House as it part of that network. We spent three nights here. The staff were very friendly and accommodating from the moment we arrived when Kyle walked out to the car to meet us and get our bags. They were also very helpful about getting us dinner reservations at local restaurants on short notice. The location on Broad Street is fantastic -- right in the middle of everything, just down the street from the Cathedral (we loved hearing the church bells ringing). Breakfast each morning was very good. The house is steeped in history and the downstairs rooms are impressive and beautiful. Our room, the Independence Room, is probably the smallest in the house, but it was comfortable for two people and met our needs. The next time we come (yes, we will come back!) I might go for something roomier perhaps with a porch. The only negative was that the WIFI connectivity was very slow when we could even get it (we couldn't pick up the Inn's network at all in our room). A few years ago, this wouldn't have mattered that much to me, but I think we are getting to a point where fast, reliable WIFI has become something people expect, so that is one area for improvement.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Aarhus, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

10 hours in a plane from Europe, 6 hours in a car from Atlanta and there we were: in the beautiful City of Charleston, The Old South, the beginning of the Civil War, many American tourists, not one Japanese, Chinese or European tourist in sight, we were the only foreigners in town (probably not) but we loved the feeling. We landed in "the loving arms" of Governors House Inn. A most perfect landing. Old house, wonderful drawing rooms and lounges, small but wonderful room (the Wagener), nice people (like most Americans), great breakfast and super service by the staff. And the porch, great to sip a glass of white wine out there at social hour after a long day downtown and at the plantations. Charleston is a "slow city", one does not need to hurry because when you stroll around the qualities of the city comes to you. The Governors House Inn suits the city fine and visa versa. Nothing to complain about? Well, perhaps this and that, but who cares, life in itself is a burden, so we don't take small defects too serious. 5 stars to Governor House Inn and a City Oscar to Charleston. PS. Why the title "Living in America-for a moment, vol.1? Because we did a Distinguished Inn-tour de force in The Old South so vol. 2,3 and 4 continues in Savannah, Fernandina Beach and St. Augustine. Charleston and "the Governor" was a great beginning.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

I am a repeat visitor to Charleston and I believe that the right accommodations can make a world of difference, especially in a city so elegant and charming. I love this inn because it exudes exactly the kind of luxury and hospitality you hope to find here. We were greeted graciously by the friendly management, and ushered to our room--just beautiful. We were provided with great tips on the sites, restaurants, and some "out of the way" places of special interest. Returning to the inn always felt like we were returning home, to our own little pied a terre in Charleston!
Must point out that the inn's location is smack in the heart of Charleston's grandest neighborhood!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

I always choose B&Bs based on their awards & high rated reviews. Not sure how this one got such high marks. We stayed in the detached upper room of the kitchen house. First appearances are great but experiencing 3 nights is not especially pleasing for the price. I have stayed at lots of B&Bs all over the eastern United States so I know what a 4-5 star B&B should provide. This was our experience.....too many plumbing problems with room, constant urine smell in room, & not much effort put into breakfast & I cannot give a high rating for other travelers. What I saw of the main house was wonderful (again at first glance). I will not stay there again & I will be returning to Charleston because it's truly a wonderful city but I hope I pick better next time.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
ManagerGHI, Manager at Governor's House Inn, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
First of all I would like all past and future guests to understand that the owners and I take all reviews very seriously. This type of review is discussed and analyzed and a strong effort is put forth to alleviate issues for ANYONE that may leave our property feeling dissatisfied.

So in response, you did report a clogged sink which was given to maintenance and it was repaired soon after. Unfortunately we could not foresee this issue but we do our best to fix any problem as quickly as possible.

No issue of an odor was reported and if it was we would have made every effort to find the source and eliminate it.

I’m fairly certain the breakfast that was served the mornings you were here was a roasted vegetable quiche with homemade bread and crème brulee French toast and bacon both with fresh fruit. While one may not have enjoyed the crème brulee French toast another guest asked for a copy of the recipe. We have many breakfast items to accommodate any taste. In training the server is taught to keep an eye on the guest, always ask if their breakfast is to their liking and if it appears that they’re not enjoying their dish to offer another option that we are happy to prepare. We always have granola, raisin bran, corn flakes as well as steel cut oatmeal we top with fruit and or pecans or walnuts and cinnamon (toppings all optional), grits we make with cream and cheese as well if you prefer, we can do a piled high vanilla yogurt parfait with any side option available such as sausage or bacon, a homemade sweet bread or muffin or toast. We always keep a variety of high quality jam on hand. We can also prepare pancakes (plain, banana or blueberry) with warm syrup or a fresh waffle topped with fruit and definitely will scramble or fry eggs or egg whites with fillers such as cheese or veggies. This week the farmers markets are going strong where I picked up fresh peaches and ripe red strawberries for breakfast. Other dishes that we make fresh daily that are very popular are a Ham and cheddar bake (our version of the French croque monsieur) most often served with fresh asparagus and fruit as well as blueberry strata with cream cheese and a blueberry sauce and a vegetable frittata often topped with hollandaise or fresh tomato and basil marinated in a balsamic Dijon vinaigrette. So these are just a few entrees we do often and guests love. I am very sorry you did not request something that you would have enjoyed.

Finally, it is my personal practice upon the guest’s departure to ask “how was everything”? Or “did you enjoy your stay”? This is a sincere question so as to acknowledge and respond to ANY criticisms or suggestions a guest may have kept to him or herself or were out and about and didn’t have the opportunity to voice it. Also, that they know that they are heard and appreciated. I so wish you would have spoken up so I could’ve offered you something to compensate for the discomfort you felt.

Again future and past guests please feel free to contact Management if you have ANY issues. I will personally see to it that it is handled swiftly and appropriately. Angela

Been to Governor's House Inn? Share your experiences!