“The best in Charleston!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Zero Water Street Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charleston
Zero Water Street Bed and Breakfast
Save Saved
You added Zero Water Street Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
31 East Battery, Charleston, SC 29401 (Charlestowne)   |
Ranked #7 of 43 Charleston B&B and Inns
Pittsbrugh
“The best in Charleston!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Simply the best place to stay in Charleston. Just got back from celebrating our anniversary there and I am already plotting a way to get back! Everything was lovely...from the owners, FABULOUS porch, to the yummy bread you get for your breakfast. Will probably not be able to stay anywhere else in the city now.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

Having stayed at a number of B & B's over the years, we have never been in as unique a location as 0 Water street; other reviews have accurately described the setting: the entire 3rd floor of an old Charleston home, within 30 ft of the battery walk along the harbor. Definitely for the more independent B & B goer: breakfast items are provided (bagels, yoghurt, fruit, coffee) excellent quick breads freshly made, but you prepare your own; stairs to the floor are indeed narrow and steep--a true challenge for any with mobility issues. The owners (Jim and Cordes) live on the 2nd floor, in-laws on the 1st; a tour of the building is graciously given upon request despite their residence and is well worth it for architectural and historical reasons--it is a beautiful building in a beautiful location, very well cared for. Help and information is always available, but not intrusive. A perfect place for a quiet, romantic getaway.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Memphis, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed at Zero Wayer Street the last weekend of Aug, 2012. What a wonderful home! The home owners were very accommodating, saw to our requests, and made our stay memorable. To have the entire third floor was amazing. We had our own kitchen, living room, bath, bedroom and the most wonderful deck. The deck included a hammock for two, a swing, rocking chairs, and a breeze that kept us cool and enjoying all the sites along the battery. That's right, this home (built in the 1830's) is located right on the battery with views of the bay. We were able to watch the horse drawn carriages on the street, the sailboats in the bay and a cruise ship on its way out to sea. If all of this doesn't sell you on Zero Water Street, then I will share the ace in the whole. They have the cutest Golden Retriver named Chase who will shake your hand, either the right or the left, your choice! We WILL return to Zero Water Street!

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Southsea, Portsmouth, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I travelled around the eastern United States during the summer of 2012 and made my first visit, for four nights, to Charleston, SC. My abiding impression of this attractive and welcoming city has to be bound up with my accomodation whilst there. Jim and Cordes Simpson are the most delightful owners of a B&B I have ever met. From the minute I arrived with my heavy at the end I felt totally at ease as if I was at home. I am interested in these ante-bellum houses myself and Jim very kindly took me on a tour of the rest of the residence during my stay - a most beautiful and stylish home filled with character and style. I was very impressed by the fact that one can stay on the entire top floor of the house with the adjacent piazza looking out to Fort Sumter and the harbour (I believe a piece of the original wood from the mortars that fired the first shots is in the house somewhere...) . I needed a relaxing few days here and I felt thoroughly restored by the end of it. There is privacy to come and go as one pleases; to rise and eat breakfast, on the piazza, with no other guests to meet - a real boon as far as I am concerned; very spacious rooms to enjoy which are immaculate and spotless; a bed not my own that gave me the best night's sleep in years...The breakfast is ample and the daily supply of cake a treat too. I really enjoyed being on the Battery itself and finding everything totally walkable to - dozens of other historic properties, restaurants and shops, local historical sites, museums and so on. This house is a real gem and I am glad I happened across it. I hope to return for a second stay at some point. Thank you, Jim and Cordes. Andros Z. Xiourouppa

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
tn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Everything about Zero Water Street is perfect. The home, the piazza, the views, and the delightful hosts make this bed and breakfast delightful. Thank you for one of our best stays in Charleston ever.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Free Union, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

Pros:
-The location is perfect bar none. Right on the battery with panoramic water views.
-This place is huge! Most Charlestonian B&Bs are separate carriage houses or leftover views around the back of the home. In this one, the owners offer the cream of the crop- 3rd story of a traditional Battery house.
-The value is fantastic for what you get.

Cons:
-Typical of some B&Bs there is a lot of kitsch. Not a deal breaker but a distraction.
-You do have to pass through a small area that is part of the owners' living space is get upstairs. Not a big deal but it does feel like someone's home.

Conclusion: This is the kind of place that people hesitate even making reviews on because they want to save it for themselves!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Whitney, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

I selected Zero Water Street from my search on the web. We found it to be just as described and as the photos represented. Our host, Jim and Cordes Simpson were wonderful and very helpful with any questions we had about the area. Jim's recommendation of 82 Queen for our arrival lunch was a great delight when we stopped in for lunch. You have the entire 3 floor of the home on Charlestons Battery with a great view of the harbor & Fort Sumter. It is situated within some walking distance of Charleston's down town shopping and dining areas. You are in the heart of Charleston's historical district with numerous venues to visit. We found ourselves on the Piazza having our afternoon wine and enjoying the view. The breakfasts are very unique. They fill the refrigerator with fruit cups, yogurt, fresh fruit, cereal, bagels, bottled water and juice, muffins, cream cheese and fresh baked varities of coffee cake. If you're looking for a relaxing location for a stay in Charleston, be sure to check out Zero Water Street. You won't be disapointed. If you stay here be sure to get a tour of the 1st and 2nd floors. You will be impressed.

Room Tip: They only rent the 3rd floor.