“Do Not Honor Obligations” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Palmer Home Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charleston
Palmer Home Bed and Breakfast
5 East Battery, Charleston, SC 29401 (Charlestowne)   |
Special Offer
March Sweetheart Special!
Ranked #21 of 44 Charleston B&B and Inns
Sugar Mountain , NC
“Do Not Honor Obligations”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We bought a Groupon for a two night stay at the Palmer House in July and immediately made a reservation for March 20 and 21st. 2013. The Groupon purchase covered the room cost but not the room tax. The Palmer House charged the room tax to my visa as authorized. In early February I received a call from the Palmer House saying they would be unable to honor the prepaid Groupon but would honor the same rate as the Groupon and I could get a refund from Groupon for my purchase. The first response from Groupon was a refund in Groupon bucks which could be used in the future with to purchase Groupons. At this point I elected to cancel the trip rather than put out additional funds and was told by Francess Palmer that she would put through a refund that day for the room tax that I was charged. I followed up with an e-mail when the refund was not showing after a couple of weeks with no response from the Palmer House. After protesting with Groupon that I should receive a refund they have refunded my credit card in full. There has been no refund or response after a month regarding a refund of the room tax. Since the Inn did not honor the stay I will next pursue this with my credit card.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere to avoid dealing with the Palmer House
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
PalmerHome, General Manager at Palmer Home Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Hello GH23MT,

I am sorry to hear that you had a difficult time receiving a full refund from Groupon. It's really a shame that they were not able to honor their obligations (to you OR to us). In light of recent news events--e.g., the recent firing and subsequent replacement of Groupon's founder and CEO--I think it is a safe assumption that they are having troubles of their own. As a member of the Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce, we are aware that Groupon has failed to compensate multiple small businesses in our area. While we would love to extend the breadth of our Southern Hospitality standards, it is just not realistic for us to provide free room and board, which is why we were forced to inform our future Groupon guests that we could no longer honor their vouchers. We gave our guests well over a month before their upcoming reservations with us to contact Groupon and get their refund before we asked for a direct payment from the guest (at the same discounted rate); we are empathetic about having such a substantial amount of money tied up in multiple places.

I, personally, have spoken to 60 guests about this matter, explaining that our hands are tied and requesting their assistance through a direct payment to us. 59 guests have been nothing but gracious and understanding. These 59 guests have also had very little trouble receiving the full refund from Groupon in a timely manner because it part of their contract with their customers. As stated clearly on each and every Groupon voucher, "If the merchant refuses to honor this voucher because the promotional value has expired or for any other reason, Groupon will refund the purchaser the amount paid. Period." If it weren't for this clause, the Palmer Home Bed and Breakfast would have been forced to bite the bullet and receive no payment for services rendered because we would have never asked our guests to cancel their Groupons if we were not absolutely certain that they would receive a full refund.

I would also like to add that I am currently holding in my hand the receipt for your refund of the tax for your room. The receipt is dated March 3, 2013, with a total of -$36.44, so I would implore you to take a second look at your credit card statement. This is something that I would have investigated had you called me directly instead of posting a review for accommodations that you never had.

Best regards,
Libby Lechner

260 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Kings Mountain, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Five of us stayed in the Carriage house and brought my dog. Perfect accommodation for group, family or accompanying dog. The Carriage House had great charm. Occupants in upstairs bedrooms wake to a fabulous view of the sun rising over the bay and Fort Sumter. Rooms are comfortable, beautiful but not stuffy. Downstairs has a nice functional little kitchen, dining area and very comfortable den that we enjoyed greatly after standing all day working the food and wine festival. As another pointed out, the den is not furnished completely in antiques. This reviewer obviously doesn't know a great deal about style of furniture. The couches are not "50's" but over stuffed contemporary. This is exactly what is needed in this setting, seeing that the carriage house is designed for family use and accompanying pets...Access to the main house was an experience! A delicious full breakfast is served in the dining room every morning. Guests are allowed to eat in the "drawing room." We were told by two hosts that the staff would prepare anything we wanted for breakfast. I did venture from the buffet and request French toast that was very good. Later in the day, wine, cheese and other snacks are served.... So interesting to hear the history of the house from Francess, the third generation owner.... All the staff was great. Libby, the concierge, was especially helpful and accommodating without being all over us every time we went to the main house. She even offered to walk our dog! Libby told us about nearby puppy parks that we did take our dog to. Our stay was very comfortable and our needs were well met. The Palmer house is beautiful and loaded with visual history. My husband and I have visited Charleston many times over the years and stayed in many diverse accommodations. One often must give up some things in order to get other things. This time our group was in Charleston on business. We will certainly be staying there again, for business or vacation.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
PalmerHome, Manager at Palmer Home Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you Anne! It was such a pleasure hosting you, your family, and your handsome dog, Alfie. I hope that you stay with us again on your next visit to Charleston. I've never had the pleasure of meeting such a charming family who also makes their own gin!

Best wishes to you all and cheers to the success of Cardinal gin.

Libby
usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Staying in a bed and breakfast, you have to be prepared for things to be different, sometimes very different, from staying in a chain hotel. Different can mean good and it can mean not so good. Here are some of the good aspects of the Palmer Home. The breakfast room looks straight out on to Charleston Harbor and right dead center is Fort Sumpter, where the Civil War began. Residents of this house watched the initial bombardment from the home's piazza. How many other hotels can give you that experience? Many of the furnishings in the house are original and 150-200 years old. So some of them are what you might think of as `a bit shabby'. Sure, but you won't find things like that in a Marriott. King Street and Broad Street are five minutes walk away, with some of the country's best restaurants only a little farther walk. There's a very pleasant park just around the corner on the Battery. If you want to hang around the house all day, it's big enough that nobody will bother you, even if you are in the large public rooms. There's a swimming pool (which wasn't open because it was February and near freezing but presumably is open in warmer weather). Not so good was our room, which was a kind of add-on to the carriage house and too small for all the furniture in it. There was a mix-up about our reservation (my wife didn't read the advice to call them if you arrive after 4 p.m.) and so we ended up with that room rather than the one we had reserved. I'd avoid booking that room (the heater is very noisy) and go for something in the main house. Some people have complained about the breakfast. Seemed like a fine traditional Southern breakfast to us -- grits, bacon, scrambled eggs, biscuits (some a bit burned on the bottom but that sometimes happens when you bake them in house) juice, coffee, etc. The afternoon wine was o.k., Lindemans and perfectly drinkable. If you want a $50 wine, you're welcome to bring it. The service is a bit hit and miss, not always easy to find someone on the desk, but the kitchen staff were nice enough to dig out something to settle my wife's upset stomach (got from a food truck, not the B&B). If you want to experience a glimpse of authentic Charleston, this is as good a place as any.

Room Tip: Book a room in the main house
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Lexington, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My husband and I have visited Charleston often and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The house was in walking distance of downtown Charleston which we enjoyed greatly. Francis Palmer was a gracious hostess who made sure that our stay was enjoyable. Yes, the house is old but it is 160 years old. The bed was comfortable and warm. We look forward to visiting again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chattanooga
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

This B&B lacks the charm one would expect of such an incredible property on Battery. The house is huge, pink, & still owned and occupied by the family. Our disappointment is a result of the mediocre breakfast, cramped room and seemingly haphazard management. The room accommodation was a newer addition and located on the far end of what is called the carriage house. The king size bed is too large for the room, there is no closet, & nowhere to put your luggage. When the owner asked if we had everything we needed, I suggested a luggage rack and she said, "Oh, there isn't one?" Attention to detail seems to be an issue. The place needs better housekeeping as there were watermarks on the glass top of the nightstand when we arrived and were still there when we left 2 days later & the tile floor needs more than a broom. The bathroom is tiny, has a 1930 size commode seat, & there's mildew on the grout in the shower stall. The heat unit is a wall one and is loud so you have to keep adjusting the tv volume. The breakfast consisted of scrambled eggs, bacon, grits, toast or biscuits, & fruit. That's ok for one day, but it is served everyday. In 20 yrs of staying at B&Bs, this is the 1st time we opted to eat breakfast elsewhere.
Wine & cheese are offered at 5 p.m. The bed was comfortable but lacked a blanket. The view of the water is spectacular. Although things weren't awful, we expected higher standards from a bed and breakfast than a hotel chain. No, we would not stay there again or recommend it to others.

Room Tip: We didn't see any of the other accommodations.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Frances Palmer of The Palmer Home is the quintessential hostess for this lovely family home overlooking the harbor. My husband and I stayed in the suite on the third floor, which was huge! I wasn't expecting a refrigerator; it made it so easy to drop by Harris Teeter and get drinks to stay chilled during our stay. The bed linens were of the highest quality, and we got the best sleep we'd had in months there. On the second night of our stay, an impromptu concert by a string quartet made it seem as if we'd entered a time machine and landed in 1913. Such beautiful music! The daily hot breakfast and happy hour were bonuses! Ready to return right now!

Room Tip: Ask for the suite on the third floor in the back of the house. It's quiet, darker (but not too...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Cornelius, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

The Palmer House is a lovely home~ perfect location for walking, dining, and shopping. Its location/view are exceptional! Our stay was for my birthday weekend and while we are extremely seasoned travellers in all levels of accommodations, we enjoyed this stay immensely in spite of the need for some improvements.The Carriage house is old, but "helloooo!!" It was built in the 1800's! While I would have preferred it to have more in the way of antique-style furnishings (currently it looks like furniture from the 1970's except for a crocheted canopy on one of the beds) as well as a bathroom that I could move around in without bumping into the comode or sink, it was still really fun!! The mere historical aspect is just mind blowing and makes the stay worth all else. We did not use the kitchen in the carriage house (or anything but the bedrooms and bathroom, really) so the space wasn't needed, but it was nice to have the privacy.

The staff (Meredith) was extremely accommodating and assisted us greatly with dinner reservations, etc. While the main house is in need of some TLC, it is absolutely lovely and I could've sat for hours on the piazza sipping wine and imagining "Old Charleston".

This being said, yes, the afternoon wine/cheese offering could stand to go up a few notches~ a lot higher for both, actually. And the presentation itself could be improved simply by nicer crystal and perhaps a small plate to place some cheese and (maybe) some grapes/fruit on. As it is, it's quite mundane, although at least they offer wine! Most don't...a cup of tea elsewhere! And in addition you can sit for hours sipping and the wine is readily there for your enjoyment~ The breakfast was adequate; nice for those of us who don't care to sit down and consume a huge meal, yet enough to be ok... and I rather enjoyed the fact that the owner wasn't following us around regaling us with "stories" or encouraging us to interact with other houseguests! (annoying unless asked for!)

This home would benefit GREATLY from a professional visit from a home-stager (the rooms are large and poorly placed furniture lends to a visual that is unkempt) and a few VERY small tips from a caterer for some simple and inexpensive ideas on serving tricks of the trade...I would be more than happy to convey some advice!!

The term "shabby chic" was coined for a house like this~ if you look at the 'grander' mansions that are now b & b's you will be paying much more per night for this location!! So here is my advice~ If you got this with the GROUPON rate; RELAX. Enjoy. Life is GOOD!! Take in the whole of the City, use your imagination, and have some fun.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Palmer Home Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!