“Best place to stay in Charleston” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palmer Home Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charleston
Palmer Home Bed and Breakfast
Save Saved
You added Palmer Home Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
5 East Battery, Charleston, SC 29401 (Charlestowne)   |
Ranked #21 of 43 Charleston B&B and Inns
Asheville, North Carolina
“Best place to stay in Charleston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Frances Palmer of The Palmer Home is the quintessential hostess for this lovely family home overlooking the harbor. My husband and I stayed in the suite on the third floor, which was huge! I wasn't expecting a refrigerator; it made it so easy to drop by Harris Teeter and get drinks to stay chilled during our stay. The bed linens were of the highest quality, and we got the best sleep we'd had in months there. On the second night of our stay, an impromptu concert by a string quartet made it seem as if we'd entered a time machine and landed in 1913. Such beautiful music! The daily hot breakfast and happy hour were bonuses! Ready to return right now!

Room Tip: Ask for the suite on the third floor in the back of the house. It's quiet, darker (but not too...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

268 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Cornelius, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

The Palmer House is a lovely home~ perfect location for walking, dining, and shopping. Its location/view are exceptional! Our stay was for my birthday weekend and while we are extremely seasoned travellers in all levels of accommodations, we enjoyed this stay immensely in spite of the need for some improvements.The Carriage house is old, but "helloooo!!" It was built in the 1800's! While I would have preferred it to have more in the way of antique-style furnishings (currently it looks like furniture from the 1970's except for a crocheted canopy on one of the beds) as well as a bathroom that I could move around in without bumping into the comode or sink, it was still really fun!! The mere historical aspect is just mind blowing and makes the stay worth all else. We did not use the kitchen in the carriage house (or anything but the bedrooms and bathroom, really) so the space wasn't needed, but it was nice to have the privacy.

The staff (Meredith) was extremely accommodating and assisted us greatly with dinner reservations, etc. While the main house is in need of some TLC, it is absolutely lovely and I could've sat for hours on the piazza sipping wine and imagining "Old Charleston".

This being said, yes, the afternoon wine/cheese offering could stand to go up a few notches~ a lot higher for both, actually. And the presentation itself could be improved simply by nicer crystal and perhaps a small plate to place some cheese and (maybe) some grapes/fruit on. As it is, it's quite mundane, although at least they offer wine! Most don't...a cup of tea elsewhere! And in addition you can sit for hours sipping and the wine is readily there for your enjoyment~ The breakfast was adequate; nice for those of us who don't care to sit down and consume a huge meal, yet enough to be ok... and I rather enjoyed the fact that the owner wasn't following us around regaling us with "stories" or encouraging us to interact with other houseguests! (annoying unless asked for!)

This home would benefit GREATLY from a professional visit from a home-stager (the rooms are large and poorly placed furniture lends to a visual that is unkempt) and a few VERY small tips from a caterer for some simple and inexpensive ideas on serving tricks of the trade...I would be more than happy to convey some advice!!

The term "shabby chic" was coined for a house like this~ if you look at the 'grander' mansions that are now b & b's you will be paying much more per night for this location!! So here is my advice~ If you got this with the GROUPON rate; RELAX. Enjoy. Life is GOOD!! Take in the whole of the City, use your imagination, and have some fun.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Elkin, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We have stayed in every room at the inn. We try to go at least twice yearly, we love all the food and charms of Charleston. In the past year we stayed four times because my nephew was getting married and the reception was held at the inn and was a wonderful location. When we stay it is like going on vacation to visit friends, always warm greetings from all the staff. They fuss over us making sure everything is o.k. and always ready to help with anything we could possibly need. Now to the owner Francess, she is like our best Charleston friend. She visits with us a lot during our stay. When we come back from a evening out we will sit on the porch enjoying the views and she comes out and visits with us for hours. This is a historic home that has survived a lot of history.
It is a lot different from staying at chain hotels or brand new inns. This wonderful home is true history. Every effort has been made to make this a comfortable inn with modern amenities and not disturb the true character of this wonderful gem.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I can't believe that the Palmer House is recommended by TripAdvisor. The recommendation should be: Stay Away!
The view is great and that is all the good that I can say.
My wife and I stayed here from 11/5/2012; checking out on11/9/2012. We used two Groupons to book four nights. The only availability they had was for the Carriage House---but, for this, I had to pay a $50.00/night extra fee, presumably because there are two bedrooms.
The place is not clean and very poorly maintained. The window pane putty job has to be seen to be believed! It's a lesson on how not putty a window.
The view was great; the rest was not.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

My husband and I travel to Charleston at least once a year. We love the shops, golf, rich history,gardens, food and simply the feel of the city. We try to stay in a different B&B each trip to get a different experience each visit. We simply loved our stay here. The staff was sweet and the care and hospitality we got was delightful. It far exceeded my expectations. We had no illusions of having a 5 star stay. We were not expecting glamor, glitz or excessive pampering. What we were expecting and what we got was an experience of staying is a stately historic home rich in family/city history. loved it

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Raleigh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I don't understand all the bad reviews me and my mom stayed here for a girls trip in October and loved this place! We stayed in the Magnolia Suite and loved it very nice suite with a sitting area and great King size bed. It was very comfortable and although the furniture was old that is the whole point of staying at a bed and breakfast and authentic Charleston style house to get a feel for how the house really would have looked I loved that fact that the living room furniture was the old furniture of the house. If you want new go to a Holiday Inn...if you want a true Charleston experience stary at the Palmer Home Bed and Breakfast. It is so close to Battery Park you could throw a rock and hit it from the front porch and it is in the heart of Charleston. What a wonderful place and the breakfast was great even for a picky vegetarian such as myself. The owner was so lovely I stopped and talked with her for ahwile she was so nice and inviting. What a great experience!!

Room Tip: Magnolia Suite!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I decided to take my wife to Charleston for her birthday. I chose the Palmer House based on its location. We were not disappoointed. We were in the front room - very spacious with wonderful views of the harbor. Thoroughly enjoyed sitting on the piazza, looking out onto the water. The private bath is separate from the front room but we did not consider that an issue. The bathroom is large and it was immaculate, as was our room. The breakfast was basic but very good and quite filling. The staff was friendly and helpful. We had the pleasure of meeting the owner and she was very gracious and took to make us feel at home, answering all our questions about the inn. We look forward to returning to the Palmer Home in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Palmer Home Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!