“Our Anniversary...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 43 Charleston B&B and Inns
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
“Our Anniversary...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My husband and I had the opportunity to stay in the Carriage House during our anniversary visit to Charleston. Meredith was very welcoming and accommodating. The other staff, although quiet and to themselves most of the time, we very sweet to use during our time there. The house has some incredible history which includes some very old furniture, paintings and more! It was the FIRST house in Charleston to obtain electricity, wow! Of course, October is just the perfect time to visit as we experienced great weather which allowed us to thoroughly enjoy the harbor view. The market is only 1 mile away, so we walked everywhere and that was a nice treat. It was also great to have a hearty, southern breakfast each morning. I think the only thing we weren't impressed with was the wine & cheese. All in all, to anyone looking for a historic stay in Charleston, we would recommend the Palmer Home.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed at the Palmer House on October 20&21; Given the review below ours on 10/19 not sure where that person stayed. We found the home, the owner (Frances Palmer) and all of the staff absolutely charming and welcoming! It was such a treat to stay in a mansion of this historical significance with the phenomenal view from the 2nd floor piazza overlooking the Battery and Fort Sumter. Our room (the Magnolia Suite) on the 2nd floor was quite comfortable and the bed was TREMENDOUSLY comfortable, so much so that I looked to see what type of mattress it was. Everything was clean and in lovely shape. The breakfast each morning was a traditional southern style breakfast with real homemade grits, biscuits, cheddar eggs and fresh biscuits. There was also cereal, yogurt, juices and coffee. Each morning the breakfast was prepared wonderfully and we sat on the piazza overlooking the Battery and harbour just taking it all in. We can't say enough great things about the Palmer House and the experience we had there. A lovely place to stay while in Charleston and I will reccommend it to all of my friends!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

My husband and I wanted a nice get away for our anniversary. We found the Palmer home on a special groupon discount and decided to give it a try. The location of the home is great, the views are wonderful and Meredith is very nice. Beyond that, it was one of the worst stays I've experienced in my travels.

The home is not well maintained, I understand the antique nature of the home but typically I'd expect the antiques to be somewhat well maintained and not worn. The home was interesting to see but the stay was horrible.

We stayed in the King room on the 3rd floor. The view from the piazza was wonderful. The bed was so hard, lumpy and worn we didn’t sleep, the bathroom shower was filthy with soap scum and the roaches many. I live in the south; I know there are roaches in the south - but come on! These were not Palmetto bugs, these were nasty roaches!

The owner never bothered to say hello and the breakfast was burned. I would suggest another location for your stay...this was not worth the Groupon rate let alone full price.

Room Tip: Choose a different BNB or hotel in the area. Don't stay here.
Kansas City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

My wife and I had never stayed in a bed-n-breakfast before. We've never stayed in a house that was built in the 1840's, or 1800's. First, let me say we both enjoy history, and especially Civil War history. So the Palmer House was a win-win situation for us.
The Palmer House sits right down on Charleston's East Battery, that's going to be one of your main reasons for staying here. The Charleston Harbor is literally across the street, just over the seawall/promenade. The first shots of the Civil War were witnessed here. If you Google, East Battery, you can find photos and drawings of the Palmer House during the Civil War. You will be in walking distance of White Point Gardens Park, full of beautiful moss trees and Civil War weaponry, used during the Civil War. That park has been in use since 1735. Stede Bonnet and other Pirates were hung there in 1718. Your neighorhood is full of houses dating back to the 1700's. The Palmer house is full of antiques and family heirlooms. Meredith, your host, who is an absolutely delightful art history person, knows alot about the things and the history of the house. She was able to even show us a secret passageway hidden behind a painting, once used by John Ravenel, the original owner, to escape to his ship. This house is not the Hilton, nor is it new, you need to do your research and really get into the era. Sitting out on the veranda and taking in the battery, looking over the harbor at Fort Sumter, or over at Castle Pinckney. In 1718 Blackbeard blockaded Charleston Harbor. This house is a real Time Machine. We were able to meet Ms. Palmer, we found her to be very warm and kind.
When my wife was trying to make reservations for the Palmer House, she and Meredith were cut off several times on the phone. Probably no fault of their own, but Meredith was apologetic and to make up for the inconvenience, upgraded us to the Carriage House, yes, that's right, check the price per night. A remarkable gesture of kindness. The Carriage House is two levels, downstairs was a modern kitchen, wonderful dining room table area, and a sitting room, complete with flat screen TV. The downstairs is a mixture of modern and antiques. Upstairs is a walk back in time. Charming vanities, furniture, and huge windows. One room has a large canopy bed with a comfortable mattress, you can lay in the bed and see Fort Sumter in the Harbor. Between the rooms is a modern bathroom, small, but the shower is made for two,(Palmer House shampoo and lotion provided). The next room has two beds, fireplace(non-working) and more antique furniture. This room really made us feel like we were in the 1800's, very exciting. My wife found it to be let's just say, "an haunting experience". I've read strange reviews here on Trip Advisor about the breakfast, I came to the conclusion that maybe those folks grew up without a grandmother. Because breakfast gave me the "warm fuzzy's, I was born in Texas, and it was just like Grandma use to make. I haven't had grits since I was a little sprout. You will be served a delicious southern breakfast, by real southern folks. If you didn't grow up in the south, then you're in for a delightful experience. The main thing here folks, is to get into the age of the house, know what you are purchasing, the history, the access to the battery, folks will be walking on the battery looking up at you on the balcony, snapping pictures of the beautiful pink palace, wishing they were you.

Roxboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

This house is historical and unique, we really enjoyed our stay there. The view is wonderful, you feel like a hero of a book that took place in this kind of setting. The house has plenty of original furniture and decorations. Whoever is complaining about older items and furnishings - should just stay in a Holiday Inn.
Thank you, Francess, for your hospitality and friendliness, we were happy to meet you and your friends during our stay.
- Darya Oskolkova, North Carolina

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hilton Head, SC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We usually stay at Middleton Place for our Anniversary but thought we would try something new and stay on the Battery. We wish we had not! We made a purchase of a groupon at the Palmer's Pinkney Inn, the sister location to this one. Prior to arrival, we contacted Cindy, the inn keeper, and told her we would not be arriving until the next day due to a storm. She said regardless that whenever we arrived, she would have our room ready. We got there at 4am and quickly realized that this property was not as advertised. There was no one to complain too until 8am so we waited until 8am sharp to complain. We were ready to leave as this property was a dump, but Connie was able to move us over to the Palmer Home B and B into the Italian Room so we packed up and moved over to this property. Prior to leaving, Connie told us that we did not owe anything more as we were very unsatisfied with the property and we only were there a couple of hours. We thought that was really good business.

Upon arrival at the Palmer Home, Meredith was wonderful! She was expecting our arrival and was extremely accomodating. She showed us around, and even allowed me to go up through the service elevator as my knee was really hurting. We were extremely pleased with our stay at the Palmer home. We LOVED Frances. What a sweet, kind woman! I had a few great chats with her! The property was exactly as advertised! We loved our two night stay. We even encountered some supernatural residents. What a cool property!

Upon leaving, we stopped in to see Meredith to make certain that we didn't owe anything additional. My husband was quite careful to make sure. Meredith said we were all squared away. We left happy customers.

Two days after returning home, we received a very disturbing call from Cindy telling us "how disappointed she was that we did not pay for the night that we stayed in the Palmer's Pinkney Inn." We were shocked and thought perhaps they got confused and didn't reply until we received a very rude email from Connie telling us that because we did not "square up before we left, that she would be making an unauthorized charge on our credit card in the amount of $168 for a one night stay at the Palmer's Pinkney Inn." WHAT??? I responded both via voicemail and email that this was unacceptable to us and that I would dispute it with my bank if they did so. Needless to say, they charged our account and we disputed it with the bank. It took us three months but we were finally credited back by the bank for a charge that occured in July. They agreed with us that these people should not have placed an unauthorized charge on our credit card.

I'm very sorry Merideth and Frances, but I can not recommend either of your properties to future business because of the actions of Connie and Cindy who need to learn good business practices when dealing with the public. I would NEVER recommend this property nor will we EVER stay here again! Charging someone's credit card without getting their authorization is considered FRAUD! We will go back to Middleton Place next year!

Room Tip: If you stay here, pay cash!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
PalmerHome, Owner at Palmer Home Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
The Palmer Home Bed and Breakfast/Palmer's Pinckney Inn won the Visa dispute with this customers. We are sorry that this review was posted but we think it is important to note that we won the dispute and expect customers to pay for services rendered.
Erie, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

First of all let me say that we are the sort that does not spend this kind of money everythime we travel, but this place looked divine and so decided to go for it.We opted for the carriage house on this property, and were really excited about it, until we walked in. To our dismay, It was NOTHING like what is portrayed in the pictures. Everything in the house was broken, old and was most likely taken from the main home and put there just to fill it up. It had a musty, antique smell that eventually you got used to, but if cleaned properly, should not have noticed at all. There was no cable TV which is neither here nor there. The linens on the extremely uncomfortable beds were wrinkled and spotted with stains, not freshly pressed and laundered properly. We were greeted by Frances, owner, and Connie, manager, the day we arrived, which is southern hospitality at its finest, but never saw them again, not even on our last day to thank us for choosing their place to stay for the 4 nights we were in Charleston, not to mention that they didn't even ask if all was well daily and did we need anything, that is NOT southern hospitality. The wine and cheese they speak of was 1/4" squares of swiss cheese and just everyday saltine crackers and the wine was the cheapest around. The breakfast was the same everyday, bacon, scrambled eggs and grits, but very good, if you want to eat the same thing everyday. The muffins and cookies throughout the day were leftovers from the day before. The pool was loaded with leaves and was lined with green algae, and this was one of the reasons we chose this BB to stay. All of the money was put into the outside of this palace, which is beautiful and luring, the view is awesome, but when you walk in, after you've paid for your stay, you will be greatly disappointed. Old Old Old and not beautiful old, drab,dirty old. Everyone that stayed there at the same time we did said they would not be back for the very reasons lised above. So goodbye Palmer House never to visit again!!

Room Tip: Perhaps the rooms in the home are better than the carriage house, look into them. The proof is not a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Palmer Home Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!