“Beautiful hotel in a beautiful city” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Served with Style
Ranked #6 of 57 Hotels in Charleston
Milford, New York
“Beautiful hotel in a beautiful city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

My husband and I selected the Planters Inn for our recent trip to Charleston for a variety of reasons: the location is very convenient; the resturant has consistently high ratings; the Relais and Chateaux name conveys a certain level of expectation; and we had fond memories of an anniversary dinner (at the previous hotel restaurant) close to 20 years ago. The idea was to spend two romantic nights in the city before heading to the beaches of Kiawah Island.
Just to prove the truth of the old saying about best laid plans, what started out as a relaxing stopover turned into a mini-emergency on our first morning. To make a long, boring story short, my husband ended up spending 2 nights in the hospital, and the Planters Inn became my refuge. Having read some of the reviews critical of the hotel's service, I am here to tell you that the staff at Planters Inn could not have been more helpful or accommodating. When I needed to extend my stay, they arranged for me to stay in the same room, despite it being a holiday week and the hotel being very busy. (Did I mention that we arrived, completely oblivious, on the weekend of the Cooper River Bridge Run, an event that attracts 60,000 - yes, sixty thousand - people to the little peninsula of Charleston?) When we needed a car to the emergency room on the morning when the above-mentioned 60K people were running through downtown, they did it. When I staggered back into the hotel after 12 hours of sitting in various clinical settings, and desperately needed a little TLC of my own, the lovely staff of the Peninsula Grill found me a table and fed me one of the best meals of my life. And when I would walk through the lobby alone, the desk staff would invariably ask how things were going and if there were anything I needed. Yes, many of the staff are young, and I did hear some laughter at times, but for me that wasn't a bad thing.
So, after 2 days in MUSC (a wonderful teaching hospital and the place to go if you need medical help in Charleston, FYI) my husband rejoined me and was finally able to enjoy the lovely room that had been my refuge. We took one more day to enjoy some of our favorite Charleston sights, and then headed for home. Certainly this was not a typical hotel stay, but one I will remember with gratitude. And yes, I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Planters_Inn, management at Planters Inn, responded to this review, April 4, 2010
Thank you for your very kind comments and we are very happy that your husband is now feeling much better. We hope that you will be able to come back to Charleston and enjoy our beautiful city in a more traditional manner.

Relais & Chateaux

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Southeastern US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

We recently made a return visit to the Planter’s Inn in Charleston. After a few negative comments, we were concerned that we would find it changed from our last outstanding stay. What we found was actually better than before! The rooms are still beautifully appointed, quiet, comfortable, and meticulously maintained. Even carpeting that had hardly looked worn before, had been replaced. The only negatives I could mention would be the outdated TV’s and the lack of coffee makers in the room for early risers like us. Bathrooms were spotless and the amenities provided, even the dreaded bathroom scale, were still of top quality. The staff is young, as would be expected in a City with so many colleges and universities, but they could not have been more courteous, professional, and eager to assist you in any way. Doors were promptly opened with a smile and warm welcome to the hotel each time we went in and out. When we told them that we could easily manage our own small bags, they insisted on carrying them to our room for us. Special requests were handled without any hesitation. On departure our car was quickly retrieved for us with the added touch of having the heater running on the chilly day. Although service was not flawless, it exceeded what we have experienced at Four Seasons and Ritz-Carlton resorts, an amazing feat for a small City hotel! If you are planning a visit to Charleston, Planter’s Inn should be your hotel of choice. When you do, be sure to make reservations for dinner at their superb restaurant, Peninsula Grill. Chef Carter’s cuisine and the impeccable service are truly extraordinary!

Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Planters_Inn, management at Planters Inn, responded to this review, April 3, 2010
On behalf of all our associate, we would like to thank you for your kind words and hope to be able to welcome you back soon with us.

CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

My wife and I just returned from a 4 day weekend stay in Charleston at the Planters Inn. We had a wonderful time and were treated exceptionally well by everyone at the Planters. The rooms are large and beautifully appointed. We looked forward each night to the different treats that awaited us with soft music playing. The staff was constantly looking to help with dinner reservations or recomendation, suggestions for things to do or even just to do anything you asked. Everyone was friendly and courteous. We will return and stay again.
Special note of Darren(?) who worked the front desk who made many great suggestions and expedited dinner reservations for us

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Planters_Inn, management at Planters Inn, responded to this review, March 25, 2010
It was a pleasure to host you, and we look forward to have you back in our lovely city.

Syracuse, Ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2010

My wife and I just spent 6 wonderful days staying at Planter’s Inn. The rooms were large, sunny and well appointed, particularly liked the four-poster bed. The customer service was outstanding from the staff who cleaned your room to the front desk, which was always helpful with suggestions and directions. While you are paying a price for it, this kind of attention to the customer is hard to find these days. The location is excellent for exploring the historic district and the shops in the market. There were lots of great restaurants nearby, with Peninsula Grill first on our list as our splurge dinner. I would highly recommend Planter’s Inn for a relaxing and carefree upscale place to stay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Planters_Inn, management at Planters Inn, responded to this review, March 20, 2010
Thank you so much for your kind comments, and we hope to see you soon back with us. It was a real treat to have been able to spend time with you and your charming wife. I particularly enjoyed our conversations.

Canton, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

I was in Charleston the weekend of March 5, 2010 with a friend. I had stayed at Planters a few years ago and was impressed with the service, so I recommended it to my friend. I was very disappointed that the service had declined so much - especially when it comes to the parking situation! The bellmen, most of them very young, were rude and had no interest in service! In fact, they did not even accompany us to our room when we checked in and did not even offer to help with our bags. On Saturday afternoon, we came back to the hotel, and there was no one to even park our car. This is a HUGE problem since they demand valet parking and charge $18 a day plus automatic gratuity!!! When the older bellman asked one of the younger bellmen to park the car, he said "I am unavailable" and hurried off. To complete the horrible experience, they even lost our car when we checked out!! After an hour, they finally located it, and then it took forever for someone to bring it up. They simply ignored us during this entire period. This is a shame for a hotel that prides itself on service. When you are paying top dollar, this is simply unacceptable!!! We go to Charleston every year for the Food & Wine Festival. Last year, we stayed at the aLoft in North Charleston and paid 1/3 of what we did at Planters but had far superior service!!! Pathetic! I will never stay here again and never recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Planters_Inn, management at Planters Inn, responded to this review, March 10, 2010
Please accept our apologies for the unfortunate issue we had locating your car. Our Hotel Manager who was with you that whole time to solve that issue and who refunded the parking fee, has reworked our parking operation to make sure this type of situation will not happen again.

IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

Spent 2 nights at The Planters Inn, in July 2008. It fits well into the classic market area. The staff was wonderful as were the rooms. I'm sure my stay here helped my great experience of exploring Charleston. Hope to one day get back!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Planters_Inn, management at Planters Inn, responded to this review, March 8, 2010
Thank you for your kind comments, we hope to have you back in our charming city soon.

Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

Once again, we enjoyed our 3 day stay at the Planters Inn. We look forward to it every year and are never disappointed. The Staff are professional and very nice..the tea in the Lounge is always good and our Penthouse King room is divine. You can not get a better location either! It is right in the centre of things, beside the Market. While there, the fireplace needed to be fixed..they did so quickly. The real gem here, as well, is Chef Carter's food at the Peninsula Grill. We have eaten here many times and he just keeps on delivering the very best food. His Sommelier is superb and his Waitstaff are all so professional and knowledgeable. Their wine list alone would be worth a visit! Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Planters_Inn, management at Planters Inn, responded to this review, March 1, 2010
It was a pleasure to have you again with us. We look forward to welcome you back next year.
Relais & Chateaux

Been to Planters Inn? Share your experiences!