“Location, Location, Location and Excellence” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
#1 City Celebration
Ranked #6 of 54 hotels in Charleston
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Location, Location, Location and Excellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

My sister and I stayed here for two nights and could not have been happier with the experience, room and service! First of all the location is superb, near shopping, restaurants and tour start-ups. My sister has difficulty walking and the location could not have been better! The valet parking saves time and walking from parking lots further from the hotel. The service was impeccable with the concierge suggesting and making all our dinner reservations, a must if you want to eat at just about any restaurant in town. The King room was very big with a very generous marbled bathroom and two big closets. It had the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on in a hotel and I told the staff so. Decor and maid service was also impeccable. The downstairs lounge was nice to sit in early in the morning for coffee and in the afternoon for tea or punch. I will definitely make the Planters Inn my only stay in Charleston. Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the dining piazza.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Planters_Inn, Manager at Planters Inn, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Madym003,
Thank you for sharing your experiences from your recent visit. From you summation, you seemed to thoroughly enjoy our city and our property. Our spacious guest rooms do offer some of the most comfortable beds; and many guest share your sentiment. Combine our location with the friendly, professional and accommodating service and we hope you agree the Planters Inn and Peninsula Grill are second to none in Charleston. Living in North Carolina should allow you many return trips to Charleston to continue to experience what we hope is your new favorite hotel, The Planters Inn!
Until next time, we appreciate your time and kind words.

678 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Waldorf, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I was in Charleston for a friend's wedding, and decided I'll treat myself with a stay in a high-end hotel. I'm glad I did. Service was great, and I felt like royalty, especially after I saw my room. My first night I dined at the Peninsula Grill; the pan-seared Carolina trout, followed by the chocolate bread pudding for dessert, was awesome. I loved the stay so much that I took a bathrobe and got a teddy bear (don't worry, I paid for it). I hope to get back to Charleston and do some more sight-seeing; when I do, my first choice of hotels will be Planters Inn.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Eddnt,
We always appreciate our guest feedback and are pleased to hear you enjoyed a “Great first experience in a high end hotel”. Planters Inn and Peninsula Grill are the perfect combination of boutique hotel and superb dining experience. We are fortunate to be surrounded by the best of Charleston’s attractions, shopping, historical points of interest and the best culinary highlights in the south. We always love to read of a first time guests that discovered Planters Inn and were pleasantly suprised and rewarded by the decision to stay in the heart of our charming historic district. As you mention, Charleston has much more to offer for another visit and we look forward assisting you plan your next visit to Planters Inn and Peninsula Grill.
On behalf of the entire team, we thank you for your comments.
Best,
Hollywood Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

My family and I spent 2 nights at Planters Inn right after Christmas. Being a Relais & Chateaux, we were truly looking forward to our stay, but began wondering if we were making a mistake before we left home. I sent 2 emails to the Concierge to make dinner reservations at the Peninsula Grill; neither emails was ever answered. I called the hotel and spoke to a concierge, explaining my frustration in not receiving a reply to my 2 messages. At no point was an apology proffered nor any empathy shown; I was informed that a concierge had, indeed, made reservations for us but not at the requested time as it was not available. I asked if anyone was ever planning to notify us of this fact, not to mention give us a choice as to other times and not just randomly select for us; the reply was "I don't know why she (whomever "she" is) never answered you. I called again the next morning and spoke to the hotel manager, who did apologize and switched our reservations to the desired time. We arrived at the hotel and found the bellman (Bo) and the young lady at the front desk to be quite friendly, but that is where the friendliness stopped. One of the five "Cs" of Relais & Chateaux is courtesy; we found the staff to be civil but NOT friendly. At times, eye contact would be made with staff yet no hello, welcome back or anything else said. Most of my comments and disappointment are really about the physical plant itself: the noise from the street keeps you awake, therefore, the windows should be double-glazed. There is a lack of outlets; we had to take turns charging our phones, etc. The wi-fi did not work on any of our Apple devices. The closet is in the bathroom, which I have never seen before, and the right hand door is on some sort of hinge that snaps back at you so you have to hold it open with one hand or risk it hitting you, hard, on your head. Something else I have never experienced. The 4-poster bed blocks the view of the TV, so watching the news in bed is frustrating. There is a reading chair in the corner but no lamp ANYWHERE near it, so it renders the chair useless after dark. Only one side of the bed has a reading light, so too bad for the person on the other side. The bathroom has a single sink. The air conditioning/heating unit was VERY loud, disrupting sleep when you combined that noise with the street noise. The lighting in the bathroom is very poor; this is especially bad in the evening, when natural light from the window is unavailable. No map of the city and attractions was offered, no information whatsoever. We found our room door open. The excess pillows that we did not use were found on top of all of our shoes inside the floor; pretty disgusting considering a guest might want to use those pillows to prop themselves up, even if they do not use them to sleep on. Finally, we returned to our room after dinner and found the ice tongs INSIDE THE TOILET, not on the toilet, but INSIDE. We can only guess that the person who did the turndown service dumped the old, melted ice water into the toilet, dropped the tongs in the process and did not bother to retrieve them. I only regret that we fished them out ourselves instead of calling management upstairs to do so! The hotel manager DID take $100 off our bill, which was NOT our goal. All-in-all, a huge disappointment.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the streets.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Planters_Inn, Manager at Planters Inn, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Memwalters,
We regret you experienced such a disappointing experience during your recent visit. Your comments and suggestions were shared with all staff following your departure and prior to this review to focus and aid in our training. It is very unfortunate that we failed to live up to your expectations, as well as our own standards. As you may have noticed from other reviews, we pride ourselves in offering guests a consistently high quality and positive memorable Charleston experience; however we always appreciate our valuable guest feedback that allows to re-focus our efforts on improving not only our service but the physical characteristics of our property. Your disappointment is an opportunity for us to adjust and correct areas you have mentioned.
Kind Regards,
South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We have stayed at many hotels in Charleston, but we find Planters Inn to be our favorite. It's location is perfect, right at the corner of Market and Meeting. Once you valet your car, you are done driving. Everything is right there. The rooms are big and comfortable. They might lack some of the newer amenities, but they more than make up for it in pure charm. It's proximity and association with the Pennisula Grill, one of Charleston's finest, is great as well. Beyond this, the staff will know your name 5 minutes after you check in and are always at your beck and call. If you are looking for a classic, quaint Charleston hotel, this is the place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Planters_Inn, Manager at Planters Inn, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear KSP-HHI,
As a frequent traveler and visitor to Charleston, we are humbled by your praise and acknowledgement of our property as your “FAVORITE” place to visit in our city of many options. Our quaint size, amazing location, spacious and comfortable luxury accommodations, and superior service staff make for an incredible combination that allows us to live up to such a claim as a “favorite” to many regular guests. Planters Inn and Peninsula Grill are the ultimate Charleston experinece for those searching for a charming old world hotel and superb dining and we are pleased to hear your loyalty to our operation is as strong as ever. Call on us to secure your next visit so may help continue to offer you the “Classic Charlestona and Quaint Planters Inn experience” you’ve come to enjoy time and time again.

Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We just spent five days at Planters Inn in Charleston and were thoroughly satisfied and charmed. The Inn is located on a corner of the three block long market and a pretty busy street, Meeting St,. but still manages to maintain a relative calm. We were located on the fourth floor in a room with multiple large windows overlooking the market and experienced no significant noise. We were able to close inside shutters and heavy curtains each night to shut out any possible excessive noise and morning light. The king bed was very comfortable and well appointed with good linens. And the room itself was large and comfortable enough to read for extended periods if so inclined. I was also impressed with the staff from the housekeepers, the bellmen, the front desk personnel all the way to management. They were all friendly, helpful and very willing to go the extra mile to accomodate us. All in all it was a truly relaxing, comfortable stay. Additionally, the location is perfect for a convenient visit to many of Charlestons restaurants and historic sites as well as the College of Charleston. They are all in easy walking distance. We definitely look forward to returning.

Dear Goldold25,
Thank you for taking a moment to describe the “calm” our property and your guest room were able to offer with the “heavy curtains and interior shutters” that allow guests to experience a restful sleep and awaken to the BEST location the city has to offer. As a frequent TripAdvisor reviewer, you can appreciate our efforts to create a relaxing and comfortable environment within our spacious guest rooms and we appreciate it when guests share the little details that make a good hotel--Great! Charleston is an amazing destination that offers world class dining, shopping and historical character unlike most cities and we are pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit. Thank you and we are always ready to assist you on the next trip to Charleston and The Planters Inn.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Our decision to spend New Year's Eve in Charleston, and our fortunate "discovery" of Planters Inn, was well rewarded. From the pre-visit assistance of Carolyn Stout through the warm and eager to please assistance of Tristian, Josh, and every other member of the staff, our visit was an exceptional experience. And New Year's Eve dinner in the Peninsula Grill was all that we could have wanted. Definitely a "must go back to" venue!

Dear Michael L,
On behalf of Carolyn, Tristan, Josh and the entire team at Planters Inn, we are happy to hear you “discovered” our little property in the heart of the #1 tourist destination in the U.S. It is always a pleasure to read of guests that not only enjoyed our property and city, but especially gratifying when the process involves a first time visit and a declaration of future return trips. Our little 64 room historic property in the heart of Charleston is an oasis of southern hospitality and we all look forward to assisting you on many future visits.
Best Wishes and Happy New Year!
San Clemente, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My wife and I spent Christmas, week at Planters Inn, what a wonderful experience. Our room on the second floor, new portion of the Hotel, was warm, charming, and spacious. We loved the jacuzzi tub. From the Parking attendant to the Hotel mgr. all were so very friendly, and accomidating. We ate breakfast every morning at the Hotels restaurant, the Pennisula. And we can only say WOW. The food, and chef, that prepared our delicious breakfast everyday, was out of the world. We also had dinner one evening. So delicious, and prepared perfectly.
The Hotel staff is to be commended for a group of gracious, professionally, and an all out wonderful experience.
We planning on making many future stays with the Planters Inn, in Charleston, SC. A wonderful experience. Please try it out.

Bob and Elizabeth, Kuhn
San Clemente, ca.

Room Tip: The rooms in the newer section, have walkout veranda areas, with wonderful views. A bit quite, than...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Planters_Inn, Manager at Planters Inn, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Bob K,
We appreciate your comments and terrific feedback from your Christmas visit to Planters Inn. Our piazza location rooms offer spacious Deluxe King rooms over the shared courtyard and are popular selections with many of our repeat guests. Thank you for recognizing our service and team hospitality efforts. It is rewarding to read of our staff making such a memorable impression. As you point out, one of the best kept secrets of our Peninsula Grill is the amazing quality of our breakfast; a meal that is often looked over, but worthy of a mention. You’ve already informed us that you look forward to returning, so please call on us when you are ready to secure you next reservation!
Bradley Dickerson, Hotel Manager

Been to Planters Inn? Share your experiences!