“Truly Top Shelf” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 58 Hotels in Charleston
Asheville
“Truly Top Shelf”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

Worth everyone of it's five diamonds, this beautiful gem makes you forget your in a hotel, you feel like your a pampered guest in a private well appointed home

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
South Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

I'm taken aback that a property rated so highly and recommended so widely could show such signs of neglect. Yes, the building and grounds are lovely, evocative of a gentler age. And yes, our suite was roomy with a nice sun room, but it was in sad disrepair. Specifically: aging, soiled upholstery, sagging cushions, fussy toilets, outmoded, clunky TVs and phones. Service is generally top-rate, especially Doug the concierge during most of our two-day stay. However, service in the carriage house restaurant was woefully disorganized, disjointed and generally a disgrace! Went for breakfast our first morning, about 6 tables occupied and chaos ensued between the two servers. Didn't return for a second breakfast even though it was included in our room rate. Sadly I can't recommend Wentworth Mansion and would advise you to try another spot in this beautiful city. Come on, guys, it's time to buff up your physical property!

Mount Pleasant, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Wentworth Mansion for our Anniversary and capped the evening off with dinner at Circa 1886. The staff and the service at both the Mansion and Restaurant were top notch and made our Anniversary one to remember. I would recommend both Circa and the Mansion to anyone as they are truly 5 star!

Malibu
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2009

My husband teenage children and I stayed at Wentworth over New Years Eve 2008/2009. We had several problems with our room and with noise at all hours of the night, so the Inn Keeper sent us a coupon for a free return visit. It was only because we had this coupon that we decided to even go to Charleston again... I booked the room with a fella named Wyatt directly at the hotel and informed him that my 18 year old daughter would be arriving by train at 5:30am on a particular morning, and what did I need to do to a) get her to the hotel from the train station and b) make sure she had a bed and room when she arrived so early in the morning. He said "you're all set, it's done. she'll have a room". If he couldn't have guaranteed her early morning check in, I would've booked the room for her the night before to ensure it. This was the very first time my daughter was traveling alone without us, and I dotted every i and crossed every t in advance to help make the journey smooth for her graduation trip.

Imagine my surprise when i received the call from my kid at 2:30am PST that morning.. saying she arrived, there was no room for her and they didn't know when they would have a room, and they were mean to her in the process! The night staff clearly saw in the notes that she had a 5:30am arrival with a guaranteed early check in, but alas.. no room had been held and "oh well, nothing we can do about it now". She had been up all night on the train ride from DC, and couldn't even keep her eyes open. She hung out in the lobby for over an hour and at 7am EST the Inn Keeper and the staff member Wyatt arrived to work (early i believe to handle this situation). When I spoke to Wyatt directly to find out what had happened with his guarantee "all set", he called me a liar and proceeded to hang up on me! I called him right back and said "i'm sorry, i believe we got disconnected." he replied "no we didn't, I hung up on you!" and he hung up again! I called again and asked to speak to his boss. He said "I don't know where she is" and hung up on me a 3rd time!! OMG! I called my daughter back and asked her to find the Inn Keeper and give her the cell phone so I could talk to her. The Inn Keeper sounded very reasonable and sorry that her employee made such a horrible mistake. I believe she did everything she could to try to fix it.. she upgraded my daughter's room and fed her breakfast. All good... however, honestly, I have to wonder what kind of place would employee a person who could think it's ok to call a guest names and hang up on them 3 times! I assume his nasty attitude comes from the top down, although that wasn't my first hand experience. If Wyatt still has his job though after abusing a client, then I am correct, and management condones or at least tolerates this kind of behavior ... I hope not... as the hotel itself is lovely , the rest of the staff seemed kind and the breakfast was good. I don't think I'll be giving them another shot though... strike 3 would be shame on me for trying again!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Rochester, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

From the rooms to the public areas to the grounds to the restaurant - you will find it incredible. The staff is great too. Our favorite was Miss Betty in the restaurant.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
austin texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

My husband I and stayed at the Wentworth Mansion while in Charleston for our friend's wedding. Our time there far exceeded my hopes and expectations. First, the staff members are so warm, attentive and gracious. The house is beautiful and has an intriguing history. The rooms are fantastic - roomy, spotless and romantic. The restaurant is terrific. It also has an ideal location - just a few short blocks to all the fun of downtown Charleston, but not centered in its noise and traffic. We loved staying there. We hope to return to Charleston and this is the only place we would stay.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

The Wentworth Mansion is the epitome of an Old South experience. It is the only place to stay in Charleston. We've stayed at four other hotels and this is the only one we have returned to. From the impeccable customer service, to the gorgeous surroundings and great location, this is the place to experience what Charleston was in it's heyday. We've been back twice and wouldn't hesitate to reserve again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Wentworth Mansion? Share your experiences!