“Celebrated 25th wedding Anniversary!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
$349 (USD)
Ranked #2 of 54 hotels in Charleston
Jacksonville, Florida
“Celebrated 25th wedding Anniversary!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband & I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at Wentworth Mansion. What a wonderful place to stay! Stayed in room #21, absolutely beautiful! Came back to room the first night, there was a bottle of champagne chilling, candles lit & card wishing us a Happy Anniversary! What a nice surprise! Service was outstanding! Thank you Ben & Aly!!

518 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This place is awesome. They go out of there way to make your stay perfect. I worked with the concierge staff for two weeks prior to our stay to make sure everything was perfect for the engagement. They were unbelievably helpful. Circa 1886 attached is spectacular for both dinner and breakfast. Couldn't have asked for a better place to propose. The spa is terrific too. Thanks Wentworth for the amazing service.

Room Tip: Stayed in a Mansion King Suite. It was perfect. The room had a fireplace, dual-nozzle shower and j...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Wentworth Mansion, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Congratulations to you and your fiance! Thank you for sharing these special memories. I am proud to read your notes about our staff here at the Mansion and our restaurant Circa 1886. They never tire of helping our guests with special occasions. We hope you'll return to celebrate many more milestones with us here in Charleston.

Cumming, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We were visiting Charleston for my wife's birthday, and the Wentworth Mansion was the centerpiece of the entire experience. The superior service provided by the Wentworth's staff started from the moment I made the reservation. On more than one occasion leading up to our trip, I was contacted by the staff to ensure that they could provide any assistance necessary to ensure that we had an excellent vacation. Upon arrival, from the bellhop to the Management to even the cleaning staff (and I can't forget to mention Zach, the driver who helped us get all over town), everyone was incredibly endearing and attentive to our needs. All of them took the time to greet us at every occasion and used our names throughout the weekend, something very simple, yet an art of superior client service that is lost in most businesses. Beyond this, I unfortunately sprained my ankle while on the trip. The staff even took the time to make medical facility recommendations, make recommendations on delivery restaurants since I spent the entire last day of the trip in bed, and they even provided us with a key to a lower level door to make my walk on crutches that more bearable. They sincerely seemed concerned about my injury and made every effort to assist my wife and I with an unfortunate and unexpected part of the trip.

The Mansion itself is absolutely stunning and like a piece of period art. Our room was by far the most beautiful we've ever stayed in. We joked that it was like being Royalty for the weekend as our residence is quite modest by comparison.

We want to thank everyone working at the Wentworth Mansion this weekend. I'm not sure that I will stay anywhere else upon returning to Charleston. The team at the Wentworth Mansion provided us Luxury with Heart. Thanks, the Jordans

Room Tip: I'm not sure that you can go wrong anywhere on the property
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Wentworth Mansion, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for such an outstanding review. I am so sorry to read about your sprained ankle, but am happy that our staff kept you comfortable- and were still able to enjoy Charleston. Your story is exactly why I, as owner, take such great pride in our staff. They are an incredible team that goes above and beyond to care for their guests. We thank you for staying with us and hope you are back on your feet again. We look forward to future visits.

Angels Camp
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

A unique and perfect experience in a world otherwise filled with compromise. Service was perfect from our very late arrival through our departure a week later. The 1886 building is an masterpiece of the period architecture and is in excellent repair. Our room was well appointed (spa, fireplace, very comfortable bed with your choice of down or polar flees pillows, a consistently well stocked refrigerator, spa and to die for chocolates every evening).

The concierges were as good or better than any. They were always extremely helpful, delivered results promptly, and had a vast knowledge of the city and city features.

We enjoy walking, and though we would ride a cab or bicycle cab on occasion we walked a great deal. Downtown was only a few blocks and made for a nice diversion as well as providing much needed exercise after the wonderful breakfast. On that note this is not your parents B&B. Breakfast included at least 6 choices (including the day's special) for the main course and was served by professional and charming wait staff. The food (breakfast and dinner) was the best we had in Charleston of the 5 restaurants where we ate. We walked to the Mansion every evening after dark feeling entirely safe and without any hint of possible problems. We never ventured north of Calhoun Street; however, Charleston south of Calhoun seems to be one of the safest cities we have visited.

I will admit the weather was perfect (I guess not your typical January, but I am not complaining) and was not a distraction.

In summary I would recommend the Wentworth Mansion without reservation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
I enjoyed reading about your stay here at the Mansion. Thank you for such a fantastic review. You must have experienced the streak of 70+ degree weather we had. It was a treat and it sounds like it enabled you to explore Charleston by foot. I am thrilled that you enjoyed a relaxing, five-star stay, as that is exactly what our staff strives to deliver. We look forward to hosting you again. Thank you.

Sagamore Hills, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Our wonderful stay at the Wentworth Mansion prompted us to write our first review for TripAdvisor. The mansion exuded Charleston charm and history and our room was impressive with stained glass windows, beautiful woodwork, high ceilings and a fireplace. Attention was made to every detail, from the friendly staff at check-in, to the truffles at nightly turn down. The complimentary breakfast in their Circa 1886 restaurant was delicious. This was a very special and memorable place to stay, we highly recommend it to others and will be returning in the future.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Wentworth Mansion, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. We are so appreciative of your feedback. I am thrilled that you had such a wonderful time here at the Wentworth Mansion and am so glad to be your hotel of choice for future Charleston visits. Happy New Year! Thank you for the recommendation.

Anchorage, Alaska, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

From the moment we walked in the door, we felt welcome. The hotel was amazing. My new wife and I could not of picked a better spot.

5 stars to the concierge who called for our car. She didnt just call a city cab, she called a luxury service who have better than cab rates so we could travel in style and not pay near as much. Felt like a king.

5 stars for the room. TALL ceilings and spacious living areas. Bed was very comfortable. Shower was amazing seeing as how it sprays from both sides of the shower. Makes it enjoyable for two. The tub was great with jets. You never had to pay for anything out of the room fridge, which is unheard of. Amazing fireplace you can wrap up beside on the floor. iPod player was tuned to classical music when we came in the door. A huge flat screen went well with the other technology.

5 stars for room service. Anything we wanted was there QUICK! Anytime we left we were surprised with something coming back. Champagne one day. Congratulation notes another. They always planned the house keeper to come whenever we left so they wouldnt bother us. Great attention to detail.

5 stars for breakfast. The 5 star restaurant CIRCA serves complimentary breakfast in the morning. Not a serve yourself establishment like holiday inn. Some of the best food I've ever had there for both breakfast and dinner.

5 star all around for the hotel. I never had to lift a bag. The library was always open with refreshments. Port, Sherry, and Brandy were always out for a night cap or just because. No charge.

You wont be disappointed! THANK YOU FOR THE MEMORIES!!

Room Tip: Room 19 was amazing!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Wentworth Mansion, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
I am thrilled to read this thorough and thoughtful review of your honeymoon at the Wentworth Mansion. Thank you for taking the time to share your memories. We work hard to provide our guests with a flawless experience and it certainly appears that this was executed during your trip. Thank you for the amazing recommendation. Congratulations and best wishes for a wonderful first year of marriage.

citysearcher
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We just came back from a 3 night stay at the Wentworth Mansion over the New Years Holiday. I will be totally honest and say that we did not do the proper amount of research into Charleston that I normally do so some of my cons here I should have probably been able to figure out had I done more diligence on the hotel.

Overall, the Wentworth Mansion is definitely a very nice, grand looking historical Mansion in Charleston. I would term it a "large B&B" and not really a hotel. It didn't have the coziness of a small B&B, but also didn't have the professionalism or services of a large hotel as well. That being said, for those wanting to stay in a historical mansion in Charleston, Wentworth is likely to be your best bet.

The Room- 5 stars

We stayed in Room 7 which was on the second floor at the corner. I have to say the room was absolutely lovely. Very large and spacious and well appointed. We loved the two fireplaces (one in the bedroom and one in the bathroom - a real treat coming from NYC). We struggled with the price point - we paid $390/night, but ultimately decided that while it felt overpriced by about $100/night, the two fireplaces probably made up for the gap and we could somewhat justify it. The bathroom was very large with a double jacuzzi tub. Overall it felt clean, although the shower curtain could use a change (common stains on the interior).

The bed was supremely comfortable, although I found the blankets to be a tad strange - not the down type of duvet I am used to, but more of a quilt type blanket (not super soft).

We appreciated the in room mini fridge with complimentary water and soda, but agree with prior reviewers that it did not cool as efficiently as it could have. Turn down was nice with truffle chocolates, but I do think that it would have been nice if they took away old towels (did minor room sprucing) at turn down as well.

Breakfast/wine snacks - 3 stars

Breakfast was a full menu each morning in the restaurant until 10:30am. I would say it was good, not outstanding and did not entice us to eat dinner in the restaurant. It is actually worth going out to town to try different brunches at restaurants around the city give Charleston's great food culture - Husk, SNOB, Magnolias, etc. for brunch would be good options.

The wine hour was from 5-6pm with one choice of white and one red. The appetizers were again mediocre - I would not rush back from your day out to make this hourly event unless you happen to be at the hotel at the time. They are also very prompt at taking away the wine at 6pm which just feels a bit nickel and diming again...

Location - 3 stars
I want to just make a note of the location - and this is something I should have researched in advance. The Wentworth is not located in the center of action - it is SEVERAL blocks from King Street on a very uneven sidewalk route. While the walk is fine on a pleasant day, on a cold night it becomes more difficult to do and keep in mind that given it is a residential walk, it tends to be very quiet and dark at night. We were somewhat perturbed by the front desk repeatedly telling us we should just walk everywhere, when it was 30-40 degrees out in the evening and dead quiet in the neighborhood. To us, it just didn't feel particularly safe, when some destinations were upwards of a mile away. Finally we asked them if they would be comfortable telling their parents to walk late at night and they said No...

General Services/Amenities - 2 stars

This is where I think the hotel lacks in relation to its price point.

Maid service/staff cleaning
One thing to note is that while our wine glasses/food were removed by the maids upon room cleaning during the day, we came back to the room around 5pm and they were still placed right outside our door and were not removed until another woman came for turn down service (7pm). I would say it was unappealing to come back after a long day to see last night's wine glasses and dishes sitting outside your door.

Newspapers
Given the room price, I felt that they were really nickel and diming by charging for the daily newspaper. It is only 75 cents, but please - this should really be included at a hotel of this stature and price point.

No coffee/tea service
One thing I would definitely suggest to mgmt is having a 24 hour coffee/tea service like Planters Inn. It felt like we were really putting the staff out when we asked for tea at an off hour. When the hotel is $400/night, you really expect small things like that.

Concierge - 2 stars

This is probably where we were the most disappointed. We felt that while the staff was certainly pleasant and friendly, they were really not very helpful and most importantly seemed somewhat uninformed. We called a week in advance to ask for advice on New Years eve dining options - or even any of the 3 night dinign options and were not given any helpful advice except to go to O-Ku (an Asian restaurant) - specifically after we mentioned we wanted to have traditional southern cuisine. I am unsure if this recommendation was given because we were Asian?
We ended up arranging all the restaurants on our own, but were disappointed that the concierge was unable to help us at all with any reasonable suggestions. It also felt like they were a bit out of touch with some of the new restaurants around town. To sum it up, one thing we have typically expected from hotels of this nature is that the concierge should have some sway/pull with the best restaurants in town. The fact that they were not only unable to help us at all (did not even offer their own restaurant!), but then on new years eve we even received a note in our room making sure we knew their restaurant was fully committed so thus they could not do room service). I understand it's new years eve, but the note felt a bit harsh.

We were also told repeatedly that we would not need a car. This is something that confused me - given we were staying for 3 nights, it was likely we would spend at least one of the days doing something other than walking around downtown (you really only need one afternoon for that).

In which case, you DEFINITELY need a car. Renting a car is about $40/day and keep in mind that the taxi ride from the airport alone was $40 each way. If you want to go to any of the plantations you will need a car. Each taxi ride downtown cost $7 bucks + tip = $10. We ended up renting a car from Avis for one of the days we wanted to go to the plantations - and had to take a $10 cab just to get to the Avis. Which I will forewarn is a pretty unpleasant experience - we waited almost an hour at the Avis, which is not in the best area of town to get a car. It was just unfortunate, because we relied on the concierge for advice and felt like it was not sound advice.

Finally - taxi/car services. We also did all of this on our own as the concierge was always too busy "helping" other guests. This is fine as we are certainly capable of booking our own taxis, but then on New Years Eve it was kind of funny that we booked a car, which the concierge ended up then double booking for another guest at the Inn... Fully knowing she had just double booked the car we originally booked, she called us to ask us if we then had our transportation sorted. It was all just very strange and uncomfortable.

Spa - 5 stars

This is really where the Wentworth shined. The spa is in the old barn, and is simply stunning. It feels very romantic and like a trip back to the past. I did the 90 minute massage on NYE and it was divine. On this end I would give the spa alone 5 stars.

Overall, I am still giving the Wentworth 4 stars because I did think the room was really very nice and spacious, and the two fireplaces won me over. My main issues were really about the level of service we received and feeling that it was really not up to par with luxury hotels (of which I believe Wentworth esteems to be).

Room Tip: We did not stay at the Mansion Rooms on the first floor, but given they are right by the front desk...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Wentworth Mansion, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful comments about your stay. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your room with two fireplaces. I have reviewed your detailed comments with the entire staff and management. We apologize for the couple of minor lapses in service that we usually deliver as witnessed by our many perfect TripAdvisor reviews. As a 21-room hotel, we offer very personalized service, but not all of the services of a 400-room, big city hotel that you may be more accustomed to. We have reread your multiple emails to our staff, requesting restaurant reservations, spa appointments and tours, to which we responded with many suggestions. There were only three restaurants with reservations available for New Years Eve, since your request was made only a week in advance. Our staff did their best in offering you options and providing the many services you requested of them during your stay. As for our location, typically our guests walk to most restaurants and attractions, as Charleston is a very safe, walkable city. As an option, we recommend pedicabs or regular cabs. Our answer to your emails told you specifically that if you wanted to go to the plantations, you needed to rent a car, otherwise a car is not typically needed. Thank you for the four-star rating. We will continue to strive for five stars from all of our guests.

Sincerely, Richard Widman, Proprietor

Been to Wentworth Mansion? Share your experiences!