“5 star in Charleston” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 55 Hotels in Charleston
CT
“5 star in Charleston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Absolutely the best experience ever. Loved everything. Everyone was so nice and accommodating. The best staff and wonderful food at the restaurant. Beautiful property not to be missed. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Wentworth Mansion, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for such an outstanding review of the Wentworth Mansion. I am thrilled that you would rate your stay as "absolutely the best experience ever." I very much appreciate your recommendation. We look forward to hosting your next trip to Charleston.

Sincerely, Richard Widman, Proprietor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Due to Hurricane Sandy, we had to change our mini-moon plans from the Outer Banks to Charleston at the last minute. As I was looking through places to stay, the Wentworth Mansion seemed to stand apart for the service and amenities provided by the hotel. We made reservations online and we were able to take advantage of the internet special. One thing to note is that when you make reservations online, you may not stay in the same room for all the nights you booked the hotel for. I thought this was a little strange as many hotels will list which rooms are available for which nights. In our case, the concierge told us upon arrival that we would stay in one room for two night and another room for the last night. Since we came in late, we thought that this would be fine (I will say that in the end, we did stay in the same room for all three nights despite being told otherwise which was a good thing).

The amenities are suberb:
- Great concierge - tries his/her best to meet your needs
- Wonderful jetted whirlpool jacuzzi tub
- Complimentary champagne on our first night (since they knew it was our mini-moon)
- Great breakfast every morning
- Afternoon hors d'oeuvres & wine (hors d'oeuvres are from the accompanying restaurant Circa 1886 which also does the breakfast - they were average in taste and limited wine selection, but it is complimentary)
- Also nightly port, sherry, brandy if you are into that
- Good location, but not in the heart of things (you still have to walk ~4-5 blocks to get into the thick of things)

We stayed in the garden room which has an accompanying sun room which is great for relaxing and reading. I didn't get to see the other rooms, but it does seem a bit on the darker side so I would probably recommend one of the upper level rooms if you like to have more light in the room.

One of my major complaints is that for such a peaceful place, sound really can travel which makes it less peaceful. On our second night, we hard loud voices outside of our room at around 9am. At first, we thought it might have been one of the other guests leaving their room; however, the voices continued for at least 30 minutes. The voices turned out to be the cleaning staff who were talking and cursing right outside of the room. This was a little upsetting since we were coming on our mini-moon to relax and sleep in. Unfortunately, we were unable to sleep any further and ended up starting our day. I did let the concierge know of my complaints on the day that I checked out. Overall, I think that it was a very good place, but I feel like there could have been a better place to get the perfect honeymoon experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
I am so sorry that your original honeymoon plans were derailed because of the hurricane, though I am happy you were able to experience the Wentworth Mansion. I appreciate your thorough review of the property. Our team always enjoys hosting special occasions and it sounds like you had a true Charleston experience at the Mansion. Thank you for your notes about your amenities and your accommodations in the Garden Room.

I am sorry to hear that your sleep was disturbed. I am glad that you spoke with the concierge about the issue. It will certainly be addressed. We hope to host you again here at the Wentworth Mansion. Thank you for spending your mini honeymoon with us.

Senoia, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

The Wenworth Mansion met my every expectation for what a trip to Charleston should be.
It's right in the heart of the historic downtown, just two blocks from the water, and a beautiful stroll to everything you'd want to do and see in this treasure of a city.
I love how it is so steeped in history, how every room literally speaks to you of its storied past.
I've found that the secret to truly experiencing Charleston is to get to the right places, the places that embody all of Charleston's rich history and unparalleled charm, and in the quietness of a moment, simply soak in every rich detail.
My only regret was the limited time I had available for my stay, as I was in town on business. But what time I had could not have been better spent.
This place makes me want to retire tomorrow, move to Charleston, enjoy leisurely days reading books and dimly lit evenings with great food, fine wine, and grand conversation.
My only consolation in leaving after such a short stay was my personal commitment to myself to return with my wife... because the magic of a city like Charleston and a setting like the Wentworth Mansion is tenfold when it's shared.
Top marks! ...and I shall return!
Circa 1886, the restaurant on site, is beyond words.

Room Tip: Each room is different. The Wentworth was originally built as a private residence. I don't thi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Wentworth Mansion, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for such a spectacular review of your stay at the Wentworth Mansion. I am thrilled to read your remarks and am so glad that you enjoyed the charm and wonder of Charleston from a a room at the Wentworth Mansion. We are certainly looking forward to welcoming both you and your wife back for longer visit. Thank you again for your recommendation.

STAMFORD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed at the Wentworth for 4 nights in a mansion suite. The whole experience was as close to perfect as it could be,...from the friendly and helpful staff ..the wonderful c1886 restaurant and the whole ambience of the place we couldn't have been more impressed. If you want to experience real Charleston stay here!

Room Tip: I don't think they ave a bad room!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Wentworth Mansion, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
I am thrilled that you enjoyed a "fantastic experience" at the Wentworth Mansion. We appreciate your recommendation and cannot thank you enough for this wonderful review of the Mansion and your dinner at Circa 1886. We look forward to your return.

Advance, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Just returned from a 3 night stay with my husband of alsmost 40 years plus our 2 Boston Terriers.
We travel to a different city each year and have stayed in 5 star hotels before, but I must commend the staff and owner on this lovely mansion. The staff were extrememly accomodating from the concierge, wait staff and housekeeping. We felt very welcome and "at home." The mansion itself is gorgeous and beautifully appointed throughout. The staff gave great recommendations on everything we asked about. The Circa 1886 is also outstanding with the quality, quantity and presentations of their foods. The daily breakfast was also great with the fresh fruits, homemade pastries and the chef's daily specials. The dinner we had (3 for 42) was delicious and we even took pictures of our desserts. It was as tasty as it was beautifully presented. As far as the cost, if you stay at other Charleston high quality hotels, consider the free parking, outstanding individual choice breakfast (not a buffet), evening hor d'eovres with wine, cordials at any time, fresh tea and lemonade in the parlor daily as well as fresh made pastries and great coffee in the parlor each morning. You also have complimentary soft drinks and bottled water in the fridge in your room as well as free Wi-Fi (although slow it is functional although I used my MiFi). Plus the comfort. Our Garden Room was very large, with a really huge Jacuzzi tub as well as the huge walkin shower, a sun room with a wonderfully comfortable couch with flat screen. The King bed slept divinely and also had a large flatscreen with a multitude of channels. They were very gracious to our dogs as well, called them by name and had nice treats in bags for them when we arrived and were greeted at our car. We had our own entrance and a small patio with Bistro table and 2 chairs which was perfect for sipping coffee or wine.The architecture and ornate moldings and woodwork is beautiful. The Cupola was a great place to see a goreous pink sky sunset on Saturday evening. It is also a 10 minute walk to most of the major Charleston attractions. I can't say enough about the staff who were great. I must say we have never stayed at a nicer place and can't wait to go back again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing these wonderful memories from your recent stay at the Wentworth Mansion. I am thrilled that you and your husband enjoyed such an incredible trip to Charleston and brought along your dogs for some relaxation. I appreciate your detailed recollection of the Mansion and your kind words about our staff. Thank you for the glowing recommendation. We look forward to hosting you again.
Glastonbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Can't say enough about our wonderful stay at the Wentworth Mansion.
It's close to all the great restaurant/sites (a short bike cab or walk away) but very quiet with
lovely gardens and highly rated Circa 1886 restaurant in onsite carriage house. Rates include afternoon wine with hor'durves at the mansion and breakfast at the restaurant...wine was so good we took two bottles home. Got terrific recommendations to local place for lunch (the leaf) and
dinner (so many options here!)..chose the peninsula grill for it's famous coconut cake. Our
corner, 2nd floor room at the mansion: king with 18 ft ceilings made us feel like royalty with local and southern magazines (even one for women called Guns and Gardens), windowsill lounge and sitting areas, antiques, jacuzzi and glassed shower for 2. Everyone was incredibly friendly and helpful. Are already planning our return trip.

Room Tip: Front corner, 2 nd floor mansion room was fabulous:18 foot ceiling, a wow king, various sitting area...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Wentworth Mansion, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
I am thrilled that you enjoyed a "perfect stay" at the Wentworth Mansion. It looks like you really enjoyed downtown Charleston and left with some wonderful memories. Thank you noting your favorite room features. I am glad you so enjoyed your accommodations. We appreciate your outstanding review and certainly look forward to hosting your next trip to Charleston. Thank you for your recommendation.

Orange Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We had a family reunion in Charleston South Carolina, and we were on a mission to find the best hotel the city had to offer. Mission Accomplished!! The Wentworth Mansion blew us away with its amazing customer service and stunning rooms.

Every room at the Wentworth is special, but the Grand Mansion Suite was to die for ! More on that later.

The Wentworth staff was friendly, professional and spot-on with their customer service from pre-arrival to the day we departed.

I had requested a “piece of cake” for my daughter’s 11th birthday to surprise her when we arrived. Not only did they surprise us with a huge red-velvet cake from a local bakery, but also balloons and a hand-written letter to wish my daughter happy birthday.

Now, back to the Grand Mansion Suite. I have one word only….WOW! Think 12 ft ceilings, crystal chandaliers, stained glass windows, and multiple fireplaces. On top of that, the hotel stocks every room with a mini-fridge with complimentary sodas, water and anything else you might like. Oh, and don’t forget the nightly homemade chocolates. Yes, I said homemade. No detail was missed by the Wentworth, down to the fresh roses throughout the suite. Also, the included breakfast is far more than one would expect. It is located at the Circa 1886 restaurant next door, and it starts with fresh fruit and pasteries and then you order from the amazing menu. You will be spoiled by the staff which includes Betty who worked at the Mansion when it was still occupied by a family. Betty was a morning delight who always remembered that my 2 year old especially loved the blackberries. She brought him the largest plate of blackberries that I have ever seen!

While one might not consider the Wentworth Mansion a kid-friendly hotel. The Wentworth mansion could not have been kinder to our family or make us feel more comfortable. The Grand Mansion Suite is a perfect spot for families with children, because there are no other hotel rooms on the floor which means the only people they could disturb is the front desk attendant.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share a thorough and thoughtful review of your stay at the Wentworth Mansion. I take great pride in our staff and am thrilled that our team left such a lasting impression. We always enjoy hosting family gatherings - the Grand Mansion Suite is a lovely space to entertain or regroup and relax between activities. We very much appreciate your recommendation and look forward to hosting your next trip to Charleston.

Sincerely, Richard Widman, Proprietor

Been to Wentworth Mansion? Share your experiences!