We have the breadth of knowledge (decades of extensive high-end luxury travel in Europe and the U.S.) to know, conclusively, that we've just checked out of the finest suite available in the United States. PERIOD. As we very reluctantly pulled out of the driveway of Wentworth Mansion, I'll admit to feeling slightly choked up. We have three words for you...Grand Mansion Suite.
What inspires such passionate hero worship? A museum quality antique and art-filled suite running the entire width of the hotel. Beautiful music (even piped into the bathroom) and fresh flowers greeting you as you marvel at the impossibly high ceiling (we're talking palatial), the priceless his and hers Austrian crystal chandeliers (the Austrian was brought to America to install his chandeliers properly), the priceless his and hers Italian marble fireplaces carved by a European artisan on-site, the priceless mahogany carved on-site by a European artisan, the concierge desk staffed 24 hours a day twelve feet from your mahogany suite door that's too high to easily fit in a camera viewfinder; the Innkeeper, Noreen, who greets you warmly like an old friend, and, along with the owners, attends to your every need. The Widmans, owners of Wentworth Mansion, greeted us on three different occasions during our three days that exceeded nirvana. Twice for her. Once for him. That's exactly three owner greetings more than you're likely to receive at other high-end luxury properties. And these people run four hotels in Charleston! I wasn't surprised to learn that they're both competitive runners.
The suite price is just barely within reach of "poor academics" like us. Never has a "stretch" been so worth it! The parking is free, the afternoon lemonade and tea are free. The early evening gourmet food tray is free. The port, sherry, and brandy are free. The unmatched view from the cupola is a must.
My guess is that the owners had to decide between the names "Wentworth Mansion" and "Newport Mansion South." You can actually drive a Kenworth (with airfoil in the down position) through the mahogany opening between our two suite rooms. I'm not joking. Go ahead and measure it.
Prince Harry just spent $2,500 a night for his Beverly Hills hotel room that couldn't seriously be considered to be in the same category as Wentworth's Grand Mansion Suite at a fraction of the cost. The setting and the staff will have you believing that you actually do own the place.
Reese Witherspoon spent her wedding night in our Grand Mansion Suite, and I'll guarantee you that we received the same unobtrusive coddling in the same gilded age grandeur that she did. Staff member, Betty, who has been with the Widmans for 28 years, even declared her love for us! The Widmans even surprised Betty with a companywide birthday party, but she doesn't want anyone to know how many candles were on the cake.
This life-changing experience has ruined us for mere luxury hotel rooms. This is a way of life. Our number of return trips will be limited only by monetary reality. Never by lack of impassioned desire to return to our Grand Mansion Suite!
You're welcome to use it in the meantime!
P.S. Don't forget to count the number of colors you find in the chandeliers at night.
Founder, Friends of Florida's Coasts
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Wentworth Mansion® is, quite simply, one of the world's finest and most unique inns. A 21-room tribute to Charleston grandeur, The Wentworth Mansion is a historic downtown Charleston inn that exemplifies splendor with Italian crystal chandeliers, hand-carved marble fireplaces, gracious hospitality, luxurious amenities - all just steps from award-winning dining, art, history, and shopping.True to its original role as a private residence, The Wentworth Mansion embraces guests with a warm, intuitive service that is comfort itself. Like the greatest family traditions, it preserves its original intrigue and ensures that each guest is not a mere witness to the magic, but integral to it. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline and Jetsetter so you can book your Wentworth Mansion reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wentworth Mansion Charleston
- Wentworth Mansion Hotel Charleston