“Hit or MISS... We MISSED!” 2 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Winter in Charleston
Ranked #14 of 57 Hotels in Charleston
Dallas, Texas
“Hit or MISS... We MISSED!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2007

We had never been to Charleston, and went there for our wedding anniversary. My wife booked the hotel online and specifically requested that we stay in the main building. When we arrived, we found out that we were booked in the annex across the street and there were not any other rooms available.

After dodging the cars to cross the street, we made it to the annex with our bellman. We walk in the lobby area (the annex does not have any hotel staff), and then proceeded to the stairs to get to our room... yes... stairs.

After going through a maze to get to our room, the bellman gave us keys (he pointed out that the numbers on the key do not match the room number... I dont understand that) and showed us our VERY SMALL room!

The walls were so thin... the next morning I was awakened by someone in the next room raising the toilet seat... and going to the bathroom. Yes, you could hear it. We could also hear them blow their nose, talk, and shower. We were thankful that they were older or we might have heard other things. We never met them, but could tell that they were older after hearing them discuss which pills they needed to take that day.

The shower leaked, and there was moldy gunk on the floor. And our first night there we did not have a top sheet on the bed. Just a bottom sheet and a comforter.

The breakfast was good. But the refreshments in the lobby were never kept full... or even refilled at all for that matter.

Three days later, and over $600 later, we left.

Charleston is nice, and the hotel COULD be very nice, but we would not stay here again.

• 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Vendue, General Manager at The Vendue, responded to this review, March 16, 2009
We appreciate your taking the time to tell us about your stay. At the Vendue Inn, we continually strive to offer the best service and accommodations to our guests and appreciate your thoughts on how we can improve. Since your stay, we have added an extensive training program for all of our employees to insure that service at the Vendue is the best of any Inn in town. Additionally, we've added insulation to all of our rooms to control the noise level. We’d love for you to experience our improved service and staff during your next visit to Charleston.

--Susie Ridder, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2007

STAY AWAY if, like us, you are classical music lovers attending the Spoleto Festival and expecting a long weekend of comfort and culture. Seeing that the hotel was in a central location near theatres and sites of interest, we booked their best accommodations, a King Luxury Suite. Upon arrival, we were first shown a suite in the main building right next to an elevator that made loud clanking and compressor-type sounds. After expressing our need for quiet to sleep, we were given instead a suite right on East Bay street on the first floor. It was certainly large enough, although I must agree with an earlier reviewer that it looked rather tired. (If only I had read TripAdvisor before making reservations!!) Unfortunately we did not anticipate that the NOISE situation in the second suite would be even more impossible to bear: crowds of partying 20-somethings lined up right outside our windows for hours waiting to get into the rooftop bar, traffic noises including stereo bass boosters blaring, people loitering right outside the door, police everywhere (I suppose expecting trouble). It was a nightmare. We complained to the front desk and were told there were no other rooms. So we ended up packing up our things at midnight, calling the front desk and abandoning Charleston entirely. BEWARE that the hotel has a policy of a one-night cancellation charge if you check out early!

• Liked — soft towels
  • Disliked — Unbearable Noise
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Vendue, General Manager at The Vendue, responded to this review, March 16, 2009
We appreciate your taking the time to tell us about your stay. At the Vendue Inn, we continually strive to offer the best service and accommodations to our guests and appreciate your thoughts on how we can improve. Since your stay, we have added an extensive training program for all of our employees to insure that service at the Vendue is the best of any Inn in town. We have also added new beds and linens to all of our rooms. In addition, the Rooftop bar had its hours reduced from closing at 2am to midnight and had a new sound system put in place to reduce noise.We’d love for you to experience our improved service and staff during your next visit to Charleston.

Hilton Head Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2007

My mother made these reservations for a girls getaway weekend for my birthday. First off, they didn't tell us the parking was not located on site which turned out to be a nightmare after a long drive. The rooms and location are fine but just like the previous reviewer, we got no sleep until well after the rooftop bar closed. Even after it closed, it was a long while before things quieted down. We complained the next day but they didn't even apologize. Luckily, our second night was Sunday and it was quieter. For the hefty price paid, this was not a good experience. We expected much better. My mother paid for it but if it was me, I would have requested a refund for our night of no sleep. Not that they seemed to really care because obviously, this must happen all of the time.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Vendue, General Manager at The Vendue, responded to this review, March 16, 2009
The popularity of our al fresco Rooftop Bar became a distraction to some of our fine guests like yourself. Since Vendue Inn guests come first, I’m pleased to report on several actions we have taken to pre-empt further intrusion on their well-deserved peace and quiet. First, the Bar now closes at midnight, eliminating its attraction to late-night celebrants. Second, we have changed the styles of music performed-- to musicians and vocalists who, while spirited, melodic, rhythmic and “with it,” are all those things at a far lower decibel level. Third, we have added multiple forms of sound insulation to make good vibrations non-existent to those below. Finally, all these measures have worked to minimize the volume of sound carrying from the roof, making our neighbors smile at us once again. Open-air cocktails and dining are a rarity in Charleston, especially when accompanied by a panoramic view--and one we now reserve mainly for guests.

Pocatello
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2007

After reading other reviews of this hotel I was very nervous about staying here. But I was very pleased. This hotel is very charming and what needs to be remembered is that the hotels in this area have to be preserved in there era. So they are not brand new. It had great location, great breakfast, a treat left when they tuned down your bed at night, and they were very helpful and friendly. We did not have the most expensive room in the place. I would definitly stay here again and would also recommend it. Just don't be too picky.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2007

The Vendue Inn is a VERY charming hotel off East Bay Street in historic Charleston. Concierge very helpful, enjoyed the bicycles and healthy breakfast. One of the most popular night spots in town is on the rooftop. Spectacular view, fun bar and music. We did not realize until well into the eveing that our room was directly under the rooftop bar. If you enjoy loud music, fine. If not, prepare yourself for a sleepless night in Vendue. I recommend you ask whare your room is located.

• Disliked — Rooftop bar noisy
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Matthews, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2007

My new husband had never been to Charleston, my favorite romantic destination in the world, so I was looking forward to showing him why MY favorite place was far superior to Savannah, HIS favorite place. I spent much time researching the perfect place to stay. My choice would have been Charleston Place (which is FABULOUS), but I was on a budget, so I wanted something affordable, yet charming and historic. Judging by the images on the website, the Vendue Inn was the perfect destination to envelop us in the aura of old Charleston, while not breaking the bank.

Upon arriving, we were greeted by a very young and friendly guest services team. We were directed to our room, and I was slightly disappointed to learn that it was across the street from the main building; however, judging by how perfect the lobby was, I was so excited to finally get to feast my eyes on the very carefully selected room.

We crossed the street and wound our way through a labyrinth of sloping hallways in order to reach our basement room. We opened the door, and my heart sank. This was not the room on the website! Where were the antiques? The oriental rugs? The view of the Cooper River? This room was not as big as my closet at home! Don't get me wrong, I know when the website says "boutique hotel" that is usually synonymous with "small, nicely decorated rooms", but this was beyond boutique! There was just enough room to walk around the bed, and that was it! The bathroom was teensy with no vanity space, though it had first class appointments, such as the sink, tub, etc.

Back to the bedroom-no antiques, no rug, no view- heck, no WINDOW! It was very sparsely decorated in a contemporary Asian style. Other than size, and lack of natural light, there was nothing BAD about the room, just more like misrepresented. It was a disappointment. So, now that I have failed to "wow" my husband with the room, the whole trip was downhill from there! After about an hour of waiting, we had to place a call to prompt the bellman to bring around our bags; a request for a different room fell on deaf ears with the inexperienced staff; and, our tv had to be replaced because it didn't work. If that wasn't bad enough,it rained all weekend and we were assaulted by a car load of local teens by having a drink thrown on us as we strolled down a side street. Needless to say, Charleston failed miserably to impress my husband.

I will say, in favor of the Vendue Inn, that the breakfast was wonderful, and it couldn't occupy a better location. I feel that had we gotten the room we were expecting (apparently, there were only two in the inn with the modern flair), my review of the Vendue Inn may have turned out much differently.

We are going again next month, this time staying at the Doubletree. I know that it won't be romantic and charming, but at least I'll be spared any surprises (hopefully!)

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Not what I expected
  • Stayed April 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
columbus ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2007

Stayed here for four nights. Overall, an excellent experience. Our room was in the annex, across the street from the check-in area and The Rooftop Bar. Loved the decor of the room, as well as the comfortable bed with down cover. However, the walls, in the annex at least, are paper thin. We could not only hear the conversations of people in the adjacent rooms, but could make out what they were saying word for word!

If it were not for this, I would stay here again without hesitation. The breakfasts were ample, and the location is the best. We were steps away from Charleston's best places to eat (and drink!). The staff is very helpful.

Been to The Vendue? Share your experiences!