“Thin walls; and you should just deal with it” 3 of 5 stars

Announcement
$50 Food & Beverage
Ranked #14 of 57 Hotels in Charleston
NoVa
“Thin walls; and you should just deal with it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Vendue Inn as part of our first anniversary trip. We ignored a waiter's warning to "check out the rooftop bar, but don't stay there." Even though my husband was assured that we had a very nice, quiet room on the 2nd floor, our room was right next to the elevator which (while quiet on the hallway) is extremely loud. I was unable to sleep, and politely mentioned this to the staff at checkout. I was told that the walls are thin, but that a manager would be calling me to follow up. The staff member seemed annoyed that I brought it up, and I got the distinct impression that I shouldn't have bothered him with it. Management did not follow up with me in any form. I should have moved rooms the night before, but didn't want to bother anyone.

Otherwise, the Inn is in need of a renovation - starting with the bathrooms. The decor looks old. Other than the staff member that dismissed me about the noise, the staff was excellent.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2009

This is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in...it exceeded our expectations! We stayed in a king room with a working fireplace, hardwood floors, and beautifully decorated with antiques, and the price was very reasonable. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. They offer a complimentary full hot breakfast in their restaurant every morning for hotel guests- it was amazing, as well as complimentary wine and cheese in the afternoon, and cookies and milk in the lobby in the evening. The location of the hotel is also fantastic- it's the best you'll get...east bay street and market street have tons of restaurants and shops. It's safe to walk around at night on these streets- in fact there are tons of other tourists walking until at least midnight! Enjoy your stay, I think you'll be just as impressed.

north carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

My husband and I decided last minute to go to Charleston for the weekend. We called a few of some of the hotels we were familiar in. We got a very competitive rate and a great room. We stayed in a junior suite. Big room and big bathroom! The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The breakfast was delicious and not just your pastries and coffee that others offer. Loved the free use of the bikes and the milk and cookies offered at night. (but get there early, they disappear fast!) Great inn with different room options!

Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2009

This is the first time I ever felt compelled to spend time writing and submitting a review on a hotel. It was also the first time my husband and/or I have visited Charleston, SC.

The Vendue Inn is a great inn/hotel - from its General Manager, Suzie, and her gracious staff...to the wonderfully appointed guest rooms (we stayed in a King Jr. Fireplace) and welcoming reception/common areas. We believe some of the things that set it apart from other hotels we've stayed are the: availability of complimentary bikes (riding one alongside my husband all around Charleston may have been, to my surprise, my favorite part of our mini-vacation - on our last morning, we watched dolphins swimming just a few yards away); heavenly bed (we just got back from our trip last evening and we've already begun researching how we can duplicate it at home); made-to-order breakfast (included in the room charge was very nice and hard to believe given its quality and portion); manager's reception; and location, location, location (we never used our car during our stay and got to experience EVERYTHING on our to-do list from the Waterfront; to the Battery; to Market and King Streets (shopping was soooo much fun); to the Comedy Club; to a walking tour of Charleston's "darkside" (fun and interesting); to several - too many to choose from actually - exceptional restaurants).

We absolutely loooved the Vendue and, without hesitation, will tell our friends and family who plan to head to Charleston, SC that unless they want an exclusive "beach vacation" (when you'd probably prefer to stay on the beach), they should strongly consider (and ultimately choose) the Vendue Inn. When we go back to Charleston (can't wait), it'll be the Vendue Inn for us (and, hopefully, the same room) without hesitation.

Key West, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

After traveling 6 hours from DC on the third day of our journey to Florida, being here was a very welcome stop. I had a nice conversation with the reservationist a month before, and I knew right away this was going to be a great place.
The bellman met us at the door and walked with us the 10 steps to check-in. Once done, he took ALL our luggage to our room. This was no small feat, as we are traveling with 2 cats, litterbox, bags with food, 2 suitcases and 2 carry-ons.
Our room was very nice, small and compact, but I am sure it was a "pet Friendly" room, because we looked in others and they were bigger. The antiques were beautiful and the whole place was very characteristic of Old Charleston. It is just nice, cute, clean, friendly, felt like home! High speed internet is complementary, very nice also.
Located right in the downtown area, everything is walking distance. They parked our car in the lot across the street, but we did not need it at all. We had rain coming in, but the next day was sunny and beautiful.
The breakfast was very good. And very filling. Not a buffet, but served individually on nice tableclothed tables with cotton napkins and real silverware. The waitress was full of Charleston stories and made us feel like we were so welcome.
We loved it!

Burbank
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

We stayed here for an anniversary trip from 10/18/09 through 10/21/09 and really enjoyed it. We booked a room with a fireplace and it was huge! The bathroom had a spa tub and a separate shower. The staff was extremely knowledgeable about local attractions and gave us some really good tips. We had a rental car, but the Vendue is walking distance to just about everything. We did not get to enjoy the roof top bar because it was too cold. I would definitely stay here again while in Charleston.

arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

Our stay at the Vendue Inn was wonderful. The entire staff was nothing short of fabulous. From the front desk staff attendee (Matt) to the room service staff (Alex) each person was friendly, caring and continued to show effort to cause our stay more enjoyable. Dinner at the Library restaurant was by far one of the best steak dinners for myself, however my husband was not to pleased his dinner (the ribeye). The only, and I mean only, complaint we have is that the restaurant charged us $6.00 (per glass) for our water. Granted my husband had the sparkling and I had the distilled, however not once were we ever told the price of EACH refill of our glass. Stick with the Ice Tea - it is cheaper, excellent tasting and they don't charge you for a refill. P.S. we also had an interior room and were very pleased with the room, bathroom and amenites. Definitely would come again (just won't order the sparkling or distilled water).

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Vendue? Share your experiences!