“Surprise romance kill” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Santa Cruz, California
“Surprise romance kill”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

My husband and I recently stayed at the Vendue in April for two nights. We were told we would have a nice room that had been recently updated. Upon our arrival we were taken by the bellman to a room where we had to navigate narrow hallways, traverse a small stairway and finally to our room. It was like a maze to get there. Expecting a room that could lend to romance and relaxation, we found a HUGE emblem of the U.S. Department of the Navy right above our bed and Navy details in the room decor. We have nothing against the Navy, my father proudly served in the Navy, but we were not visiting Charleston for a military parade. We promptly requested a room change, and after some searching (1/2 hour of surveying the "only" two available rooms - which were both smaller), the management found us a MUCH nicer room on the first floor overlooking the street. That initial haggling over the room was unfortunate and left us initially feeling uncomfortable, especially given the price point for the hotel. Other than that fiasco, the hotel is wonderfully located right in the heart of downtown. It is only a few buildings away from the waterfront and a large fountain. The staff were attentive and very polite. the hotel has a nice dining area and bar downstairs as well as a big bar upstairs with an upbeat nightlife. Our visit was quite pleasant, but I would recommend that you ask about the room before booking. I also would recommend the Vendue at 19 Vendue Range vs. the other part of the hotel across the street. That building seemed dated and stuffy.

Room Tip: rooms on the higher floors were much brighter. Ask for a corner room with a view of the waterfront...
Nicole T, Manager at The Vendue, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear JudyNDave,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased that there were several aspects of your stay that were positive and that you recognize our staff as being friendly and polite. I apologize that your first room did not meet your expectations, but I am pleased to hear that the staff was able to provide a solution for the remainder of your stay.

We hope that you will consider our property for your future trips to Charleston.

The Vendue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I stayed here two nights recently with my husband. We really enjoyed the hotel and the amenities that they provide. The hotel itself is very cool and right in the middle of everything in Charleston. It is beside a ton of amazing restaurants and within walking distance to the water and King Street. My husband and I stayed in the interior queen room which was quite small, but still nicely decorated. There are no windows for the interior rooms so it can be a tad dark when you wake up in the morning. The hotel has free wifi, beach cruisers that you can borrow for free anytime, milk and cookies at night, and a happy hour from 4-5pm everyday. Let me tell you - the happy hour is something you do not want to miss! I was expecting some cheap wine and cheese and crackers but I was surprised with much much more. They have chardonnay or cabernet (which was delicious!) and a multitude of different apps. They had a crab cake type app, short rib, fruit cup, hummus spread, etc. It is awesome and they will let you take as much food/wine as you want. Also, the rooftop bar is awesome and worth a stop!

Room Tip: If you can splurge, I recommend not getting an interior room as some of the other rooms looked aweso...
Nicole T, Manager at The Vendue, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Ashley M,

Thank you for your review. I'm pleased to see that you enjoyed our complimentary hotel amenities. The bicycles are an excellent way to tour Charleston and our afternoon art reception is a perfect way to unwind after a busy day of sightseeing.

We hope that you will continue to stay with us on any return trips to Charleston. I will look forward to meeting you in art reception on your next visit.

Spartanburg, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I recently stayed in the corner King suite for two nights. The room was absolutely beautiful, everything new and updated. The entire hotel has been recently updated, renovated, and the results are amazing. The bed was so comfortable, bathroom large with a television. You cannot beat the amazing location, walking distance to everything, right in the heart of the historic district. We will definitely stay here again.

Nicole T, Manager at The Vendue, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Guests,

Thank you for choosing the Vendue. I am thrilled to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at the Vendue! I was particularly pleased to learn that you were impressed with Gallery King Room and the updates made during our recent renovation.

We are always pleased when guests return to the Vendue and I do hope that you will continue to consider the Vendue as your home in Charleston. All of us look forward to the pleasure of your next visit.

Crete
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The first thing to say about the Vendue is that the staff are amazingly friendly and helpful. This emanates from the hotel manager who is an absolutely top chap. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the bedding is high quality and the bathrooms utterly superb. They have realised that the modern traveller wants a really good shower and not some ratty bath with shower over. The location is perfect. To be fair I must mention the weaknesses too...our room , East Bay Queen, was very exposed with the curtains open, some blinds would be good. This is particularly true of the bathroom and loo which had no window cover and therefore had a hint of Bourbon street NOLA about it. Some of the premium rooms required guests to walk through a stinky stairwell that led down to the kitchens, this seemed rather unfortunate. There is only one elevator for guests, which is very slow. The other is wholly given over to the roof bar which seems somewhat at odds with the hotels agenda. Lastly breakfast was a miserable experience; for once the service was quite dreadful and the choice poor. I do think that this is an excellent hotel and make these observations with a desire to help the hotel and other travellers.

Nicole T, Manager at The Vendue, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the feedback on your recent stay. I’m happy to hear that our staff offered excellent service during your stay. The issues you experienced during breakfast have been addressed with the staff to ensure a flawless experience on your next trip to Charleston. We are also working on installation of additional window coverings for the guest room you stayed in.

Thank you for choosing the Vendue. I hope our continued efforts to improve The Vendue will afford us another chance to have you as our guest in the future.

Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed three nights mid-week in April. This was our first visit to Charleston so wanted to stay right downtown. The location of the Vendue is perfect for exploring much of the city. The desk staff were all friendly and helpful. The room was a very nice size with a comfortable bed. The bathroom was likewise quite nice,though water pressure was weak in both the sink and the shower. The only complaint was that the room staff were very inconsistent. One evening the room had not been cleaned by 5 pm. When the room was done, we had no towels. The next evening when they turned down the beds, the towels were again taken and not replaced. Trivial, yes, but slightly annoying when tired after a full day, and not the level of service you would expect for the prices they charge. Still, a quality hotel, just needs a bit more "finish."

Nicole T, Manager at The Vendue, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Misplacedmidwestern,

We appreciate you sharing your experience from your stay at The Vendue. I was particularly pleased to learn that you were impressed with the hospitality of the front desk staff. We are also happy to hear that you found your guest room to be comfortable and spacious.

I have addressed your concerns with our housekeeping team, as we strive for all of our guests to have a 5 star experience. Guest comments, be they laudatory or critical, are very much appreciated as we often learn of issues that might not surface otherwise. When we do receive comments that point out a deficiency or an area of dissatisfaction, we take those comments seriously and attempt to use each one as a tool to make our operation a better one.

We hope we have the pleasure of serving you again.

Greenville, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Thanks to the staff for hosting a beautiful reception for our group ofnClemson friends! We did not stay overnight but it is on my bucket list now! Very classy lobby and bar with southern charm. Just beautiful. Friendly service in the restaurant and an A+ atmosphere for a special event. Everyone knows this venue for the rooftop bar, but this is a different side to the Vendue.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Here for a family trip with 8 people. 4 rooms. My wife and I (who were paying the bill) were placed next to a service closet and an elevator shaft in room 314. Constant noise from the hallway due to poor fit of the door (light from hallway gets in all around the door!) with elevator bells and staff use of the service closets preventing any rest in the afternoon and guaranteeing early wakeups in the am. Front desk staff friendly but poorly trained. Great location and the roof bar and the restaurant were excellent but we didn't enjoy the stay as much as we could have given the above. For what a room here costs, the experience should be better.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Nicole T, Manager at The Vendue, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear giaff,

Thank you for your review of The Vendue. While I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our location and dining options, I regret that you didn't feel the same about your stay. Although we aren't able to change the location of some of our service closets, we have reviewed volume levels with the staff so that our guests are able to have quiet enjoyment regardless of where the room is. We are researching different options to ensure that guest room doors don't allow light in and dull any noise from passers by. I certainly hope that you will reconsider staying with us during any future trips to Charleston.

Been to The Vendue? Share your experiences!