“World Class Friendly Hotel in World Class Friendly City!” 5 of 5 stars

Drinks at The Rooftop
Ranked #13 of 58 Hotels in Charleston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Temecula, California
“World Class Friendly Hotel in World Class Friendly City!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We stayed at The Vendue Inn in Charleston for nine nights and it was one of the best hotel experiences we have ever had.
As soon as we arrived, we were given a tour of the ground floor and a brief history of the hotel and it's current amenities. This tour was given by Mark, who I can honestly say is the best bellman we have ever encountered.
The Vendue consists of two converted warehouses from the 1780's which gives it great history, but it has everything we needed in a modern boutique hotel. The Drawing Room is a very good restaurant, The Rooftop a great open air bar with a city view, and The Press a coffee house that serves Starbucks but with better service (and free coffee for guests every morning).
The front desk staff and housekeepers took great care of us, as did concierge Robbie (who arranged for an excellent dinner nearby for our anniversary).
The Vendue is within walking distance of EVERYTHING in Charleston's historic district as well the South Carolina Aquarium and the Fort Sumter museum. If you want to see magnificent homes, eat at great restaurants, learn about the good and bad of the area'a history, and walk to great local shopping, this is the place to stay.
Oh, forgot to mention the hotel is filled with great art and has a resident artist, and there is an excellent Belgian Gelato place right across the street.
Summary: no where better to stay in Charleston. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: We had a view of the street, Vendue Range, which is very lovely at night.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My husband and I visited for the first time and was treated very special. The rooms were impeccable and comfortable, staff very friendly, and location was central to all points of interest, especially the waterfront. The beds were extremely comfortable with nightly turndown service and milk and cookies were an extra plus. We would definitely recommend to friends coming to South Carolina.

Nicole T, Manager at The Vendue, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Lana B,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Vendue during your recent trip to Charleston. I'm so pleased to hear that our staff provided great service and you found your accommodations clean and comfortable. The milk and cookies we offer each evening have always been a notable highlight and I'm glad you enjoyed them. We certainly hope you'll be back to visit us again!
Lebanon, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

We really enjoyed our recent stay at the Vendue. Charleston is a lovely city. We arrived later in the evening. I was impressed that the staff was waiting and watching for us to arrive. It helped us to get settled in. The hotel is within close walking distance to historic and interesting parts of the city. We really enjoyed the unique quality of this hotel. The hotel has devoted so much space to the arts!!
Well done!

Room Tip: We did have a flight of stair to get to our room - no elevator. It was a little loud in the morning...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Nicole T, Manager at The Vendue, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Marathoner02,

Thank you for staying at The Vendue during your trip to Charleston and for taking the time to share your experience. We are fully dedicated to the arts, in all forms, and we like to know that our guests enjoy everything we have displayed throughout the hotel.

We will pass on your kudos to the staff. They will be happy to learn that they exceeded in meeting your expectations. Please consider the Vendue as your new home in Charleston.

leeds,england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW via mobile

This hotel is quite lovely...upon arrival were shown to our room by a most enthusiastic individual ..... The room had a lovely big bed...but no windows!!! So we asked for another room.... This room had a bed which was 4 ft off the ground - a touch excessive ..... Especially as I am only 5ft tall!!!! It was a lovely room however.....

Good points:-
Charming hotel
Fabulous staff

Bad points:-
Cleanliness - the room was not cleaned well - and the carpets in the corridors etc were in desperate need of a vacuum
Breakfast - my eggs arrived cold - and rather than take the whole plate away and being a full fresh breakfast - I was presented with 2 new eggs!....ridiculous .... So much so that I didn't have breakfast in the hotel again....
If a hotel does not provide a kettle in the room - it should have 24 hour room service .... this was not the case...had to wait for my morning cup of tea until well after 7.00 am...disappointing ...

Would I return....Yes indeed I would

Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

This hotel consists of two buildings which are across the street from each other. They are entirely different buildings and the rooms inside are very different. One would assume that the rooms are of the same quality when they are all part of the same hotel, but they are not. I was first put into a room in 26 Vendue (across the street from the main reception). The halls all smelled musty, as did my room. I heard other guests talking about the smell in the hall. My room was cramped and the carpet was dirty. I was 2 doors from an ice machine that made loud noises constantly, and as a result had trouble sleeping. I asked to move to another room after the first night and was moved across the street to 19 Vendue. No smell. Slightly nicer room, not so cramped. No ice machine next to me. When I checked out my bill was $400 more than my reservation showed it should be. I had not been told that the room I was moved to would cost more. After a wait a manager changed the bill back to the original. Bottom line...I would not stay there again.

Room Tip: Do not stay in 26 Vendue building (bad odor).
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Nicole T, Manager at The Vendue, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Dct_toronto,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Vendue during your recent trip to Charleston. While I'm pleased that you enjoyed the room in Vendue 19, I regret that you didn't have the same feelings about your room in Vendue 26.

We recently completed a renovation to our 19 Vendue building, where you checked in, and the Gallery in 26 Vendue as well as two suites. We are currently finalizing plans to begin renovating our rooms and lobby space in 26 Vendue later this year, which will add some similar updates to what we've done in 19 Vendue.

I would also like to apologize for the issue with the final bill. Room rates do vary based on building, however your rate should have remained the same when you were moved to Vendue 19. We appreciate you bringing the issue to our attention and I am glad the discrepancy was rectified prior to departure.

Please contact me directly if you wish to discuss your stay in further detail.

Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

We chose The Vendue to celebrate a special occasion. While the price of the King Fireplace Room gave us pause as did some of the Trip Advisor reviews, we decided to go for it, and we were not disappointed. Our experience could not have been better.

We were greeted via email and phone a few days prior to arrival with offers of assistance in booking reservations, etc. Upon arrival we found the staff to be friendly, accommodating and always available. The room more than met our expectations, and we really enjoyed time in the sitting area by the fireplace. Sitting outside at The Rooftop Bar was a welcome treat after a long, rainy drive from the cold Northeast, and the milk and cookies at night were a yummy bedtime treat!

Things we enjoyed: in-room working fireplace, milk and cookies when we returned from dinner (wish we had checked in early enough for the wine and art), Rooftop Bar, and the staff.

Complaints: none from us! Just wished we had planned to stay for more than one night.

Nicole T, Manager at The Vendue, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your review. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Vendue and appreciate your kind words about the staff.

I am glad that you enjoyed the cookies and fireplace in the room. We are looking forward to your next stay and hope you are able to stay longer on your next visit.

Director of Guest Service
Roswell, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Location is the best~~can see the water only a block away and easy walking to all the best shops and restaurants. Lovely staff~~so accommodating, friendly, and very prompt with all requests. Could go on and on about the entire experience~ Perfection and will return to the 19 Venue Building.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Nicole T, Manager at The Vendue, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Julest2125,

As a manager of the Vendue, I wanted to personally thank you for letting us know that your stay went the way that it should. I was particularly pleased to learn that you were impressed with the hospitality of the staff and that we succeeded in treating you like family and anticipating your needs.

We are always pleased when guests return to the Vendue and I do hope that you will continue to consider the Vendue as your home in Charleston. All of us look forward to the pleasure of your next visit.

The Vendue

Been to The Vendue? Share your experiences!