“One of my greatest stays of all time” 5 of 5 stars

The Vendue
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19 Vendue Range, Charleston, SC 29401 (French Quarter)   |
Ranked #12 of 59 Hotels in Charleston
Dallas, Texas
“One of my greatest stays of all time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I sincerely could not have been more pleased with a hotel from start to finish than I was with the Vendue Inn. The staff has an incredible mix of southern charm and just pure genuine hospitality that you would only dream of. My flight was delayed in Baltimore overnight and once I arrive the bellman had been prefaced with my situation (by my friend who had arrived early) and greeted me at the hotel door on a first name basis and asked "if it could be his pleasure to send me some mimosas or champagne to my room" because they were so thrilled I had arrived and were sorry for my delay. To say this started my trip off on a fabulous note would be an understatement. I stayed in a traditional king room which was beyond large enough, the bed is heaven on a cloud and the bathroom is quite large. I was worried about the complimentary beach cruisers not being available since they are first come first serve basis, but in my Friday-Sunday stay, there was never a time my friend and I didn't have access. Location is phenomenal, you walk everywhere downtown, bike down rainbow row and see all the mansions-- gorgeous!!. Complimentary wine and cheese hour every afternoon, and cookie and milk hour every night. To top it all off, they have a sister hotel on Folley Beach (which we only learned of this once we arrived) and they give $10 shuttle to the hotel, and as a sister hotel you have free access to the pool/beach. Honestly, the compliments, impeccable service and delightful surprises just kept coming once I arrived. Since coming home I have recommended friends and family go to Charleston not for Charleston, but for this hotel. I can't say enough great things.

Room Tip: Traditional King, great size for a couple, or 2-3 friends!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
Denver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We had family staying at the hotel over the July 4th holiday to celebrate their anniversary, and thought it would nice to surprise them with a bottle of champagne and chocolate truffles. We called the hotel and spoke with the concierge, Robby; he quoted ~$110 for the items, and even said he would include the hotel’s commemorative champagne flutes as a complimentary gesture (Wow, very impressive!)

Unfortunately, that’s where the honeymoon ended. The happy anniversary couple received a nice bottle of champagne with a note from the General Manager, Ken Merkel, stating that it was “compliments of the staff” (included in traveler photos). This is quite peculiar considering that the hotel charged my credit card $311.90! So, not only did the hotel fail to deliver the gift as agreed upon (truffles and flutes were not provided), they shamefully took credit for it. Absolutely despicable. We’ve called the hotel twice and left messages for Ken to call us to discuss, but no response. Such a disappointing experience, and we would never advise anyone to do business with this hotel.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our one-year anniversary at this gem of an inn. We experienced unbelievably thoughtful and generous service from the inn. The pre-arrival concierge phone call (though we missed it) and e-mail were extremely sweet and helpful. We told the Front Desk (after they asked) that it was our anniversary, and a surprise bottle of champagne and note were waiting for us in our room! We enjoyed it after an amazing dinner at The Library--the on-site restaurant. The Rooftop Bar also has great service and selections. Plus, my husband and I are both suckers for riding bike cruisers around cities so those awesome complimentary bikes were a huge treat. We stayed in a Junior King suite and loved it. I sincerely cannot offer you a reason to NOT stay at this Inn.

Room Tip: The Junior King Suite is the perfect size for a couple's weekend stay!
Hoboken
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Book a historical junior suite - you won't regret it!. Beautiful working fireplace, modern bathroom with a claw foot tub, and a comfortable feather bed.
Hotel was also in a great location right by the waterfront. Loved the complimentary bikes available to all guests. The perfect way to explore this historical city.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed at the Vendue Inn the weekend after July 4th. The hotel has a very classic, historic charm, with the best customer service in the business. The hotel is located in downtown Charleston, walking distance to everything. The hotel itself is very clean, well maintained, and the staff is the best in the business to make sure you have everything you need.
The rooms are clean and spacious, with very comfortable beds and plenty of towels.
The hotel features two restaurants, one on the ground floor (great brunch), as well as a roof top bar-grill with sweeping views of the city.
Overall, you cannot beat the Vendue Inn, great value, great customer service, great overall hotel. Would definitely return in the near future!

Room Tip: Check out the rooftop restaurant
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I had researched hotels on TripAdvisor before our recent trip to Charleston and the Vendue had high marks PLUS an online coupon for 30% off rooms! Before our trip, we were contacted by the concierge by email and phone to see if he could be of assistance with dinner reservations, etc. We were impressed before even arriving! We checked in and were greeted by the most friendly and professional staff. We arrived one hour before checkin but they were happy to let us check in then and even upgraded us! We had a beautiful traditional king room (319) with fireplace (given the 95-100 temps outside, we never turned it on, but it was pretty :)). The hotel definitely has character - it's not a big modern hotel - which we liked given that Charleston is a very historic place. Our room was VERY quiet and the beds were very comfy. The location of the hotel is PERFECT. 2-5 minute walk to most of the best restaurants and bars. King Street, the main shopping street, is a 5 minutes walk. The hotel is one block from the water. In the afternoon they put out lemon and orange-flavored water, then at 4pm they have a wine and cheese hour followed by freshly baked cookies at night. The staff was so friendly the whole time we were there and greeted us by name. The Vendue has a roofdeck bar which was nice and cool because it gets great breezes. The atmosphere up there could use a little work (they need to work on their music), but it was a nice option. ALSO, they have cruiser bikes for use by hotel guests. This ended up being a real plus. One day we took the bikes out for about 6 hours and did a self-guided tour of the south of broad historic homes area and it was a lot of fun. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We really liked room 319 as it was in a separate part of the hotel, removed from the other rooms, wh...
Northern New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

After a ton of research we decided to stay at the Vendue Inn while vacationing in the downtown area of Charleston. We paid a fair price (through Jetsetter) and were very pleased with the location. The location of this hotel is pretty awesome (close to King Street, many churches, world-class restaurants, and the Battery). The rooftop bar was ok...didn't live up to its hype but worth dropping by for a night cap after a great dinner. The service at Vendue was pretty good and they wanted to make right after some unfortunate room mishaps. For example the shower kept dripping (making it tough to sleep at night), the air condition was extremely loud and noisy every time it went off (roughly every 15 minutes), they left a dirty towel in the shower (soaking up the dripping from the shower head) when we discovered it our first night. The front desk did do everything in their power to help but these small annoyances do not get overlooked. If I had the opportunity to stay here again I would but for a considerably lower price.