“Service at it's best!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 57 Hotels in Charleston
Atlanta, Georgia
“Service at it's best!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Having read other reviews, I can wholeheartedly agree with the raves about the service at the Vendue Inn. This is the biggest reason why I give it a four. However, as great as the service was, I can’t give this hotel a five due to some other issues, which I will go into later.
I chose the Vendue because of its location to the rehearsal dinner we were hosting for our son’s wedding. It is right in the heart of the historic district and you can walk to most restaurants/attractions.
I booked three rooms for the three-day wedding weekend. I had my daughter and her friend booked in a traditional queen room. I also booked a traditional queen room for my son the first two nights and then had them book him for their nicest room…a historical king suite, for he and his bride the wedding night. My husband and I were booked in a traditional king.
Before we arrived, I received a phone call from Robbie, the concierge, asking if there was anything he could help me with. I knew that they did not provide refrigerators in the rooms so I asked him if it was possible to have one put in our room. (I needed one for wedding purposes). He said he wasn’t sure but if not, we could put anything we wanted in one of the their refrigerators and it would be marked with our name. (He said they frequently let guests put leftovers in there). When we checked in, and were brought to our room, it was much larger than I expected, with a sitting room, shower/toilet room and separate sink area, which included…a small refrigerator!
Every member of the staff we encountered was friendly and pleasant, from the bellmen, to the hostess at breakfast, who remembered to ask us Sunday morning how the wedding went the night before!
As mentioned by others, the complimentary breakfast is not what you normally expect from other hotels. It’s made to order off an actual menu, and everything was delicious, including the Banana’s Foster French Toast, as mentioned by other reviewers.
I was pleased that they had a complimentary bottle of champagne waiting in our son’s room on his wedding night. This was in addition to the bottle of sherry they have in this particular room regularly. Nice touch.
The "bedtime cookies" are delicious and the wine and hors d'oeuvres are a very nice amenity!
Unfortunately, this is where I must mention the “negatives”. Although our room was larger than I expected, and included the fridge, there were problems. I expect in a historical old hotel, there will be issues. And I am willing to overlook them for the “atmosphere”. However, some of the issues were preventable. The first thing I discovered was that they had put my son and my husband and me, directly across from two rooms, which were being renovated. The noise started at 8:30am, every morning, including Sunday! Hammering, drilling, etc. Workmen were walking up and down the hall. I know that they were almost completely booked but our end of the third floor really should not have been booked. Although at night…it was very quiet…I never heard any sound from the Rooftop Bar (which btw, offers an amazing Skinny Cosmo!). Another issue was that the thermostat in our room never really worked. Also, be aware that the beds are historical as well. They are basically feather beds and are extremely soft. My husband and son loved them. My daughter and I did not. I don’t believe they are replacing the beds, because my daughter and son’s rooms had soft beds and I believe they were renovated. I think our room was probably next on the list. The carpet was old and dirty looking. Ditto the paint. One other thing I did not like is that they had a note in the rooms telling you that they recommended not leaving a tip for housekeeping but asking to add it on to your bill at the end of the stay. But since they put your bill under the door at the end of the stay, and all you have to do is leave your keys, I bet most people forget. (Although I never received housekeeping service. The first day I returned to the room at 3:00 and the room still had not been made up so I told her to just give me fresh towels. The next day we were in the room all morning preparing for the wedding, so I just put the “privacy” sign on).
Ultimately, the bed issue is the reason I would not stay here again. Otherwise, I would probably give this hotel another try, once all rooms are completely renovated. Because I can safely say this hotel has the best service of any I’ve ever stayed in.

Room Tip: Make sure they are not renovating any rooms across from yours!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
Saint Charles, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We love B & B's. The Vendue Inn has a lot of charm, perfect location for walking all around the historic district. Very helpful, friendly staff, clean comfortable rooms, nice choices for breakfast. Concierge to help you plan tours or make dinner reservations. Free bikes to ride around town. Our stay was very enjoyable, thanks Vendue Inn staff.!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cleveland Heights
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Though the location can't be beat and the Inn itself seemed quite nice, we were disappointed with our room in "the annex," across the street. The whole building looked a little "tired." Our room, the only one on the third floor, seemed like an afterthought. The bed was comfortable (weird light fixture above), but the bathroom was a bit small - shower only. Worst: the floor in the closet was quite dirty; dust bunnies galore. The friendly young man who showed us the room DID mention that we could request another if we weren't satisfied, but this was after schlepping the luggage, parking the car, etc. On the VERY positive side, the complementary breakfast was more than adequate and the staff were helpful and knowledgeable. Again, the Vendue Inn is perfectly situation for shopping, restaurants, and the waterfront.

Room Tip: Request a room in the main building.
Carefree, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

The web photos seduced me and here I am. I was very disappointed when we arrived mainly due to the shabby conditions. The place needs to be better maintained, carpets are very dirty and the furniture needs to be cleaned. Overall it was not nearly what I envisioned. The topper was when
I nicely mentioned all of this to the concierge and he tried to use some remodeling as an excuse. I would rather be at a Hampton inn they are at least clean and well maintained.

Saratoga Springs, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

To start with, the location is great..you can walk almost anywhere you want to go from here and we did. Arriving early, we dropped off the car and the luggage and started out...with excellent luncheon recommendations from the staff. Arriving back several hours later, we were shown to our room which was generously sized and comfortably appointed. The staff is wonderful...very friendly, helpful...and they really seem to like their guests. In short, they are not being nice to you because they have but because they want to! Milk and cookies in the lobby in the evening were a nice touch and breakfast was excellent...many selection and nicely prepared. After checking out, we left the car and luggage and picked it up later in the day..which many people seemed to be doing. The hotel is very attractive, comfortable and welcoming...I look forward to another visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Seabrook Island, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We live just outside of Charleston on one of the Sea Islands and wanted to spend a few days in town without the long drive home each evening. We chose the Vendue Inn because of its central location and a recommendation from a friend. Charleston is known for its friendly people but we were blown away by the attentiveness of the Vendue's young staff and their exceptional service. Our quiet spacious second floor room overlooked Vendue Range and was filled with natural light. The room had a working fireplace and was furnished with a comfortable king bed and a sitting area with a desk and chair. The ensuite bathroom had double sinks and a large modern shower. The accommodations were perfect for our needs. As stated by others, the location is convenient to East Bay restaurants, two parks, and the historic district but is only ten minutes walk from Upper King. We come to Charleston frequently just to walk the town from end-to-end and found the Vendue to be an ideal location for walking tours to the Battery, Ansonborough, Wraggsborough, or King Street and beyond. After a long day exploring the town, we sat at the rooftop bar, had a glass of wine, and relaxed. We were treated like family and would like to thank everyone for making our stay exceptional. We are especially grateful to Jerry Kerwin the
Assistant General Manager. On our next staycation, we will return to the Vendue.

Room Tip: Call and talk to a staff member. They can help you pick the best room available during your stay.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

First of all the Vendue Inn is just that...an Inn. If you are looking for a hotel feel, this isnt the place.
Structure is very old. Our room was situated above the lobby and you literally hear everything,....starting at 7am when they are setting up for breakfast. The entire back of the property backs up to an ally,.....you hear late night talking, bottles breaking, noise. at 2am...a motorcycle was revving its engine at 230am. People in neighboring room....you hear them too.
housecleaning crew constantly in the elevator that the guests use...hauling dirty towels.

Bathrooms are nicely finished...but small. Good location to Bay street restaurants, but a decent walk to King Street-8-10 minutes easily.

Overall this place has charm, but it is noisy,.

Room Tip: Ask for a room NOT near the rooftop bar, you will be up all night. Also if on the second floor, you...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Vendue? Share your experiences!