“Service beyond measure” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 54 hotels in Charleston
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Service beyond measure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

We took an absolutely last second trip to Charleston last weekend for my birthday. Both of my normal hotel choices were booked or charging higher than reasonable rates, so I chanced it on Priceline for any 4-star hotels. The Vendue Inn was a pleasant surprise initially, as I knew it for the rooftop bar and great location near my favorite restaurants. However my reaction at our actual stay is so much better. The rooms were both great, as they upgraded for the second night. Each had exposed brick walls, weathered beams, and beautiful furniture. The charm was incredible and the beds were great. This staff blew me away in its level of service and professionalism. I've stayed at many St Regis, Ritz, and Four Seasons, but none were as attentive and pampering as this crew. They acted like a B & B, each somehow aware of our names and room number without asking. They provided coffee in the morning, complimentary wine at four, and then free milk and cookies at nine. They all had the feel and class of a Ritz-Carlton concierge, down to the valet or bellman. The first room was small, but truly charming. Our upgraded suite on the second night was undoubtedly a five star experience. This is a hidden gem in a great weekend town full of better touted hotels who don't work this hard at making you feel like a VIP guest.

• Stayed January 2013

1,129 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We can't say enough about our recent stay at the Vendue Inn. Each year we spend a weekend in Charleston for our anniversary and this was our first stay at the Vendue. The service was impeccaable from the moment we checked in until our departure. As we arrived before our room was ready, we left our car in the parking deck. Upon arrival, Crosby gave us a tour of the property and explained when events took place (afternoon reception, breakfast) and gave suggestions about the area. Crosby then walked over with my husband to our car in the parking deck to retrieve our luggage. Our room was on the first floor (Rm 102) at the corner of hotel and we were concerned that it would be noisy with due to vehicle and pedestrian traffic. We were pleasantly surprised at how quiet it was. The room was beautifully decorated and well stocked with amenities. We love the location as it is close to our favorite restaurants. We love walking all around Charleston and on this visit we ventured across the Ravenal bridge (received great tips on how to manuever around the Charleston marathon traffic and where to park on the Mt. Pleasant side). The southern breakfast was exceptional. The only downside to our stay was that my husband ordered strawberries through the conceirge to be delivered to our room on our 2nd night and we never received them. When we checked out we asked the front desk about it and it was in the computer to receive them but she didn't know why it didn't happen. She was very apologetic. Can't say enough about dining at Cypress and Magnolias -- 2 places we will always visit on return trips.

Palm Beach, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Wonderful French Quarter Location. Staff and location was superb! Especially liked being greeted by a lovely glass of wine, while we waited to register at the hotel. Very close proximity to restaurants and shopping. We were escorted to our lovely suite on the first floor, Ste#101. We could not say enough about our room. We were told by our bellman that the room was recently renovated. Absolutely gorgeous, with beautiful interior designs, a gas working marble fireplace was centered on the main wall. With a inviting seating arrangement in front of the fireplace. It was a cold evening, so the fireplace felt very welcoming. The marble bathroom was spacious and elegantly dressed with fine interior appointments, soaps and bath sundries, with a beautiful claw bath tub and separate rain shower. Our bed was turned down for us, when we returned from dinner across the street. We were greeted by homemade chodolate cookies and milk prior to turning in for the evening. Another special treat; a bottle of sherry on our dressing table. What a wonderful delight, especially after a long day of traveling. I slept like I was on a cloud, with the fine linens and a " to die for pillow top mattress". So very important to me when traveling. The staff and front desk were very accomodating and helpful. I felt right at home. We loved the beautiful southern breakfast served the next morning. Parking is offsite, I would suggest calling ahead, to let the front desk and bellman know when your arriving, especially during peek hours. I can't say enough about this Inn, and would highly recommend to anyone. Charleston is a wonderful place to visit, and we can't wait to return and stay at the Inn once again. I recommend trying the roof top restaurant, you can see all of downtown Charleston, the bar is under cover on cool evenings, with good entertainment. Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: 1st floor suites are lovely.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Waldorf, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Charleston is beautiful and the Vendue is a lovely Inn converted from a vintage, 18th century, warehouse. While it is high in the charm and convenience factor, it really doesn't qualify as a historic bed and breakfast. I would say it falls into the category of a really slick townhouse style renovation with hotel style rooms. There was some confusion for me with their classification of rooms; "Historical, Classic, Traditional". I guess you just choose the size bed you want, and go from there. Supposedly, all the rooms are different, so you will not necessary get the room pictured, ever though you choose that room style. Mine was a "Historical King with Fireplace Suite", on street level. Nice windows, but you had to draw the blinds anyway for privacy and noise. The room is where I began to find fault. Having been to several B&B's, my room was more like a standard hotel room, certainly not a suite, with hotel furniture, albeit upscale. Seating with three hard chairs was very uncomfortable. Disappointing. The gas fireplace did work, but it would kick on and off with the room thermostat. So, if you were enjoying a book while watching the fireplace, be prepared for it to turn on and off regularly. Annoying. The bathroom was half as large as the bedroom, actually a little too big with a single sink, and a ball and claw tub that was modified for whirlpool. I never tried it. I used the glass enclosed shower, however, no hot water on the first day. None in the entire bathroom, as a matter of fact. I did complain and finally had some warm, not hot, water by the next morning. I never could get hot water from the trickling sink faucet. Again, very disappointing. Breakfast, if you joined their "Loyalty Club", was served each morning on individual tables in one of three small, tucked away, dining rooms. It would have been nice to have breakfast in the roof top restaurant that the Venue touted for lunch/dinner. Oh, well. I have to admit that the staff was very pleasant and always willing to help. The "Loyalty Club" also provided valet parking, which is a must in Charleston. This was not free. however. I thought the price was a one-time member fee of $18.00, but it was, in fact, $18.00 for each day of your stay. Prices for the rooms at the Venue are pretty high, even by Charleston standards, so you might want to shop around. The city is loaded with gorgeous houses that really do qualify as B&B's, but you have to book way in advance. That was my first mistake. Good luck.

Room Tip: If you can, prevue your choice of room before you commit. They run the gamete here.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
jkerwin, Manager at The Vendue, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at The Vendue Inn.
Firstly, I agree the room classifications are presently not the standard inn offerings. This is in part due to our historical origins and in part due to our renovation project. Our future design is customized to each room, but the variation in rooms will persist. Ultimately, we will have a more consolidated room portfolio.
I have asked our engineer to further investigate your comments concerning the hot water and water pressure. The described scenario regarding the fireplace is unique insofar as I cannot recreate it, but thank you for bringing it to our attention. We do take all these issues seriously and regret these shortcomings.
Furthermore, I would like to clarify the parking in our neighborhood. We offer to our guests a self-parking option in a city garage for $14 an evening or valet for $18 an evening. In comparison, our closest neighbor charges $20 an evening for valet. Our Loyalty Club members do not receive a discount on parking, but they do enjoy a full breakfast each morning as well as our other amenities including an afternoon reception, complimentary beach cruisers, evening turndown and freshly baked cookies each evening.
We do appreciate all comments, whether they be critical or laudatory, to improve upon our future guests’ stays. I thank you for the kind words regarding our staff’s pleasant demeanor and do hope you visit again.
Tullahoma, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

From the moment we drove to the front door we were greeted and escorted to checkin service was number one. While I was doing the brief checkin,credit card photo id, my wife was showing the bellman what to unload from our car. Shown to our room to our surprise we had a suite that went from one side of the inn to the other side. huge.Rm 219 had period furniture,working gas fireplace in livingroom with 42in tv mounted over fireplace with desk and free wifi. If you wish there is a decanter of bandy I believe so if you would like to have a bandy in front of the fire.The bathroom had whirlpool tub,separate shower, bidet,and big fluffy linens. The bedroom has h 4 poster with step pillowed king bed. Great nite sleep. There is an inroom safe. You are greated by name as you go around the inn, pretty cool I don't know how they do it, when talking to the valet when he bought up the car he noted we had driven a differnet car from last visit. Parking is offsite as in most cities but never a problem just call ahead and let them know. My wife just loved the breakfast each morning she chose something different. One cafe style room but two really nice rooms to enjoy the food before getting out in one of the most walkable cities. Did not eat dinner at the inn. Because of it central location everything is within a relaxing pace walking distance, but should you need them there a pedcabs all over. We stayed 4 nites and really enjoyed each one of them. The service is great from the front desk down to the chocolate cookies at nite you are made to feel like family.

Room Tip: join their club
Morgantown, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

The Vendue Inn's location and staff were superb! We enjoyed the "walkable" French Quarter location and certain benefited from the outstanding cordial reception provided by the staff of the Vendue Inn.

Room Tip: We had a junior suite and enjoyed the extra sitting room and the large bath.
Brooklyn NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This is a very friendly, cozy hotel in a central location in Charleston. It is well decorated and comfortable but could be better if 1) the bathrooms were bigger. The one in our room was small with one little sink, and 2) they provided premium cable service and movies on demand which even Holiday Inns have. Also 3) parts of the room were not well cleaned and we had to ask for housekeeping to take care of the overlooked areas.

The concierege and front desk people were helpful and kind. The bed was comfortable and the reakfast was good too. Overall a pleasant experience with a few disatisfactions

jkerwin, Manager at The Vendue, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience here at the Vendue Inn and we are pleased you enjoyed your stay.
I am mostly pleased you enjoyed our helpful & kind staff, our made to order breakfasts and our plush bedding. We hope you also had the opportunity to enjoy the afternoon manager’s reception with wine & hors d’oeuvres, complimentary beach cruisers and our evening cookies & milk.
We view guest comments as opportunities to better serve our guest’s needs and we will take your suggestions for cable into consideration. Also, I while our standard queen rooms are modest in size, they are comparable to other historic hotels in Charleston. In the future, please consider our junior suites with large soaking tubs and separate showers for a more expansive bathroom.
Again, Thank you for your comments and we look forward to the opportunity to see you in the future.

Jerry Kerwin

Been to The Vendue? Share your experiences!