“Best hotel in Charleston” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19 Vendue Range, Charleston, SC 29401 (French Quarter)   |
Ranked #13 of 58 Hotels in Charleston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Landrum, South Carolina
“Best hotel in Charleston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

The Vendue Inn is one of my favorite hotels in the US. My wife and I prefer small intimate hotels with a history. The Vendue Inn is a perfect match. The staff is professional and attentive to details. The restaurant, The Library, has a romantic setting. The Library serves excellent dinners and the breakfast is delicious and provides a variety of options. If you prefer a great hotel with an outstanding location in Charleston, we recommend the Vendue Inn.
Don Williamson
Landrum, SC

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the original Inn.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
Cinnaminson, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Great location and service.
Stayed in Queen room across street.
Room very small and comforter had paint on it (they quickly changed when notified).
Bathrobes had coffee stains on them so hadn't been checked in awhile.
Toilet never stopped running.
Corners had dust in room.

Room Tip: Stay in the Main Hotel not across the street
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Aiken, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My husband and I visit Charleston frequently but have never before stayed at the Vendue Inn. We have missed out.
We celebrated our anniversary here just last night and were so impressed that I am writing the review immediately.
The hotel is not large and has rooms on both sides of the street.
Our room was in the main building and was lovely. It had been recently renovated and everything was clean and fresh
There was a wine and cheese reception late afternoon and cookies and milk at 9:00pm both were delightful. Breakfast this morning was the best we have had in a hotel!
The staff here is amazing! Everyone went out of the way to ensure that we were comfortable and happy.
Nick Whitney, the front office manager was very impressive. He truly made us feel that we were his only concern.
I cannot say enough good things about this hotel . We will definitely return and would recommend it highly.
Book directly with the hotel to receive full benefit from your stay.

Room Tip: Some rooms have been renovated and are more modern. Rooms in the main building are a little more con...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
sridder, Front Office Manager at The Vendue, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Mr. & Ms. Hill,

We are pleased to learn that you were impressed with the hospitality of the staff and that we succeeded in treating you like family and anticipating your needs. I am also delighted that so many members of our team provided you with a level of service that proved noteworthy. Your kudos will be passed along to all involved and I know that they will be happy to receive such wonderful feedback.

I do hope that you will now consider the Vendue Inn as your home in Charleston. We look forward to the pleasure of your next visit. Congratulations again on your anniversary!

Nick Whitney
Front Office Manager
Vendue Inn
Augusta, Georgia, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

3 Years ago we stayed at the Vendue and absolutely loved it. This thanksgiving I booked the Vendue for my wifes birthday. Everything was going great until my wife showered and the room was filled with an overpowering smell of mildew. We thought we could put up with it until the morning but my wifes eyes started itching, it was so bad. So at 1am in the morning we asked the night porter if we could move rooms - it was a relief that they had a spare room. We then moved to room 304. Now I know this wasn't our original room, but it was continually illuminated from outside street lighting (mainly because of ill closing blinds and no curtains) which was replaced by bright sunlight at dawn. In the morning we realized that this room was very dirty, spit all around the bathroom mirror, TV signal was bad and no hot water in the shower.

Breakfast wasn't that great either. Now I know we weren't in the best of moods when we arrived for breakfast, but we get to the breakfast stand and there is a long line of people waiting. One of the waitresses had to prompt the young lad who was supposed to seat people to get up and do his job. Eggs weren't cooked to the way I ordered (wanted running and they were hard) and produce seems to have gone down hill since we were there 3 years ago.

We then checked out and complained to the lady on the desk. She said immediately she would give us a 100 dollar discount, it was so fast that it kinda told me that they have this a lot. I said I wasn't happy and asked to speak to the manager. The lady called the manager and he / she told the lady on the phone to give us a full refund. I was surprised that the manager didn't come up and apologize in person.

When your paying over 300 a night you don't expect this kinda of stuff to happen. There is too much competition in downtown Charleston for my wife and I to frequent this hotel again. Its a shame really as it was good 3 years ago.

Room Tip: not 305 it has a mildew problem and it looks like its not anything new as it has a massive extractor...
Charleston, South Carolina, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Have stayed at Vendue Inn, Millshouse, Harborview Inn, before. Due to treatment from staff we mostly stay and at the Vendue. Due to a special package, we were booked at another hotel. There was a mix up on the "special package" so when we went to check in the package we thought was included wasn't. The desk clerk stated they would either charge us almost $200 more or they would "do us a favor and cancel our stay without charging us the cancelation fee"
Due to the treatment we left that hotel. (It has been recktified since then to our satisfaction)
We stopped immediately at the Vendue.
The staff opens the front door, greeting you as if your a missed family member. I asked about a room for 2 nights and were checked in in minutes. The bellman takes you around and exptains everything neccessary and if you need anything just contact them. Wine/hor'dvs are included and what a spread they put on. My husband drinks beer and they offered to go to the roof top bar to get him anything he wanted.
The staff went out of their way at that time to print out a schedule of the Dock Theater schedule for me, without asking.
We went up to the roof top bar and were treated extremely well.
Hot cookies/milk at night after an evening out. Breakfast is always perfect. That also was included and the little waitress from Russia has a sweet, happy personality wanting to please you.
As stated we have stayed here many times and this treatment never fluckuates. They actually act as if they are sorry to see you leave.

Again, we have never experienced this treatment at any of the other hotels.
The hotel is spotless and rooms are comfortable. It's a wonderful historic hotel with much history.

Room Tip: They have fireplaces in some of the rooms. We enjoy the part of the hotel across the street with a f...
jkerwin, Manager at The Vendue, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay again at the Vendue Inn. It was a pleasure speaking with you on Sunday afternoon, and I look forward to seeing you again in the near future. I will pass on the kind words to Natasha, your breakfast server.

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.

Jerry Kerwin
The Vendue Inn
Charleston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We just spent our 30th Anniversary at The Vendue Inn. It was amazing! Attention was paid to every detail. Thank you Robbie! From the time we stepped from our car we were greeted by name. Mark made us feel right at home. Our suite was absolutely beautiful with the most comfortable bed we've ever slept in. The marble fireplace added that special warmth. The staff was incredible. The unexpected "treats" like complimentary bicycles to use during your stay, cookies & milk in the evenings, Wine & Cheese Hour daily, speciality teas & coffees throughout the day and the most delicious full breakfast served by the cutest waitress from Russia, Julia. The location of the Inn must not be left out. We were in the most historic city just voted the #1 Vacation Destination in the World! We were steps from the Charleston Harbor and beautiful 18th century homes with incredible courtyards and gardens. There is nothing more we could have wished for to make this Anniversary one that we will never forget.

sridder, Manager at The Vendue, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
I was particularly pleased to learn that you were impressed with the hospitality of the staff and that we succeeded in treating you like family and anticipating your needs. I am also delighted that so many members of our team provided you with a level of service that proved noteworthy. Your kudos will be passed along to all involved and I know that they will be happy to receive such wonderful feedback.

I do hope that you will now consider the Vendue Inn as your home in Charleston. We look forward to the pleasure of your next visit––next weekend or anytime that works for you. Congratulations again on your 30th anniversary!
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We visited Charleston for the first time in October 2012. I had been told to stay in the Historic District/French Quarter by friends who had been there before. I found the Vendue Inn online and made reservations for what was to be a most wonderfully charming vacation. The staff of this quaint inn are most helpful, especially Brian. The location is central to everything, restaurants, the waterfront, and all historical sites. The rooms were very nice, and we enjoyed wine and cheese in the afternoons and breakfast in the morning, not to mention the free bicycles that we rode around town one day. Three days were not nearly enough here.....I can't wait to go back and will stay at the Vendue Inn again, for sure.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Vendue? Share your experiences!