“Loved It!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #38 of 57 Hotels in Charleston
Charlottesville, VA
“Loved It!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2006

My husband and I went to LAI as sampler members in the Bluegreen Vaction Club. I was a bit warry as you can see from some of the other posts. After our visit I can truly say I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Charleston. The location was wonderful. We didn't use our car the whole weekend.

For people expecting the Westin or Hyatt, you're not going to get it. It's a time share and it's also a 300 year old building. But for couples or if you're looking for a romantic weekend it's perfect. If you want your bed made up every day you'll have to pay for it. But really is it that hard to make up your own bed?

One last tip, if someone asks you if you've heard about what's going on in the French Quarter, say yes and keep on moving!

• Stayed May 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2006

You know what "they" say.....location, location, location....and the Lodge Alley Inn certainly has that. Once the valet parks your car, you're set, unless you want to take a day trip to the beach, or one of the nearby quaint coastal towns, which I also recommend. We have been going to Charleston 1-2 times a year for the last 10 years and were very glad when the Lodge Alley Inn was added as a Bluegreen Resort. I use the term "resort" loosely because it really isn't a resort as much as it is a nice place to stay right in the middle of the historic district....back to the location thing. I have read all the other reviews, and the bad ones, well I suppose downtown Charleston wasn't the right choice for them. Yes, it does get noisy late at night sometimes, and they do collect the trash very early in the morning and if you are in the frame of mind to be so, it can make one grumpy. But remember, it's all in the attitude. After all, you are in the city, and cities tend to be noisy. But I do recommend it, it is a piece of Charleston history and don't forget: location, location, location.

• Stayed May 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2006

We just returned from a long weekend stay at the Lodge Alley Inn in Charleton, SC. Although the room was nice and it was spacious, there were some definite drawbacks as to where our room was located in the facility. The "great deal" we got ($179/night) placed us in a room which overlooked two bars on the Cumberland Street side of the building. The noise from these bars (live music, shouting, laughing, screaming, motorcycles, etc) kept us awake every night. When we asked to move we were told all the other rooms were booked.

Also, the water pressure was so bad that 1) it took 10 minutes in the morning for the hot water to flow and 2) you had to wait 10 minutes to reflush the toilet.

We did avoid the timeshare sales pitch and if the room was on the other side of the hotel it would be a great place to stay expecially because of the location.

So, renter beware! Proceed with caution - you DO NOT want to be on the Cumberland Street side of the buidling.

• Stayed April 2006
Toronto, ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2006

My family (7 adults) went to Charleston for the time between Christmas and New Year's. My family consisted of My parents, my brother and his wife, my 24 yr old brother, myself and my partner. There were 2 bedrooms and the living room was large enough to sleep 3- a pull out couch and there was an additional mattress in the closet. The couch mattress was a usual pull-out and we added an Aerobed on top of it to be able to sleep. The kitchen was nice and there was a table able to seat all of us for card games and dinner. The location of the 'resort' is very central. We didn't get any pressure to buy, but also didn't attend the free alcohol and cookie events that they host each evening. Charleston was a pleasant surprise for me, a 'city-slicker' with upscale tastes.
Another bonus: Charleston Tennis courts are free- bring your rackets! There was only 1 bathroom, and towels were not replaced every day, but other than that- a nice stay for a large group.

• Stayed December 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the LAI and had a fantastic time. Sure, it is a timeshare, but the sales pitch is no different than any other timeshare anywhere else.

If you want a place to stay where you never need your car, this is it. The historic homes, market, waterfront park, and dozens of fine restaurants are less than a 10 minute walk.

The staff was helpful and friendly, even though there wasn't a sale to make for us.

• Stayed March 2006
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2006

While I understand things happen, I still would like some compensation for 2 out of 4 days with no hot water. Seems there was a gas leak and they had to shut off the gas. Good thing the place has electric heat! Upon check out I mentioned the no hot water situation, they replied, "sorry, goodbye."

• Stayed March 2006
Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2006

Yes, it is a timeshare hotel, and yes they probably will try to sell a timeshare to you. BUT if you say "No thanks" they will leave you alone. We had a fantastic time at this place. The staff is wonderful,they will help you with anything you desire. From the Valet to the Manager, we were treated with the utmost respect and courtesy - as if we were millionaires!
I went twice last year, I'm going twice again this year. The Lodge Alley Inn is a phenomenal place. Everything you want to do in Charleston is within a
4-5 minute walk. I highly recommend Poogan's Porch (especially for breakfast), but I do not recommend the Charleston Grille. The food was ordinary, the price too high, the staff discourteous.
In short - ENJOY the Lodge Alley Inn. You won't be dissapointed.

If you have further, more specific questions, feel free to e-mail me at dnsbeavers@aol.com

S. Beavers
P.S. I do not sell timeshares at the Lodge Alley Inn, in case you are wondering! ;)

• Stayed September 2005

Been to Lodge Alley Inn? Share your experiences!