“Great place to stay in Charleston” 4 of 5 stars

Lodge Alley Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   195 E Bay St, Charleston, SC 29401 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #38 of 57 Hotels in Charleston
Pell City, AL
“Great place to stay in Charleston”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

This is a great place to stay in Charleston. It is in a very convenient location for all the shopping and restaurants. It is a short walk to the Waterfront Park and for younger people would be a beautiful stroll to the battery and the historic houses in downtown Charleston.

We had 2 rooms. A 2 bedroom loft and a studio. The 2 bedroom had the bedrooms and bathroom upstairs. The living room, kitchen, and dining room were downstairs. It had a full kitchen with a dishwasher in the unit. It had plenty of plates and bowls for eating in if you wanted.

The studio was very nice. It was more typical of a hotel room. It had a kitchenette with a microwave and small refrigerator, In between the bed and the living room there was a gas fireplace giving you a feel of having a bedroom and living room (See pictures).

Both rooms were very clean and very comfortable. The grounds were beautiful. The staff and especially the valet's are very friendly and helpful. Parking is $11/day for owners and $14 for non-owners. It is worth the price as parking is scarce in downtown. As an added perk everyday at 4 PM in the lobby they serve complimentary cookies and sherry.

As far as some of the other bad reviews are concerned about the place being outdated, the reviewers obviously do not understand the theme of the place. It is located in historic Charleston and the decor is supposed to reflect that. Also this is not a hotel. It is a timeshare and some of the services usually associated with a hotel are not included, such as housekeeping unless you choose to pay for the service. My guess is many people stay here for the very cheap teaser rates and get mad at the high pressure sales tactics in the sales meeting that they have to agree to attend to get the cheap rates. If you rent from a Bluegreen owner or are an owner yourself, you do not have to go to the sales meeting (I never go despite all the goodies they throw my way). Keep that in mind.

Cons: In the 2 bedroom loft the stairs are VERY high and steep. If you have mobility issues, you may want to consider a studio. The other con is their is no fitness center. That would be nice. If you are traveling with children, there is no pool. So you will need to find other ways to entertain them.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues you may want to avoid the lofst and get a studio. The stairs are very h...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Greenville, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed at Lodge Alley Inn the first week of March. Booked a courtyard view 1 bedroom. When we arrived, the desk clerk was friendly and upon assigning the room, she stated, "you're really going to love this room. It is a very nice room with courtyard view. But unfortunate, it's not ready." I told her no problem. We would get lunch and check back. She told us the unit# and told us the valet would unload our car and take our bags to the room and she would call our cell when room ready. That sounded fine, so far so good - right? WRONG, just as quick as she handed the valet the room key, she requested key back and said, "I'm sorry, wrote down the wrong unit#." At that time, I asked, "is your comment the same regarding the changed unit#?". From this time on, she refused to look up at me and never commented on the newly assigned room. Her change of expression was so noticeable, I asked point blank - "is this a well appointed unit as you stated previously. Again, no response. Finally she said, "I'm sorry but this unit is not ready either." But asked if we would take this time to see the concierge? Of course, I was not interested in talking to a sales rep pretending to be a concierge. I was not there on a free room to listen to a sales pitch. I booked a room to relax and not be harassed to purchase timeshare. I decided to follow the valet to the unit to check out if it would be acceptable. I suspected the room wasn't up to par when the valet stated your room has been changed to the inside unit and told the couple after us, "your room has been changed from inside to outside." of course the outside rooms are the newer rooms and I would hope not run down. Given, I've stayed here over 10 years ago, although very nice (10 years ago), I suspected the old unit was not as up to par. Upon entering the room, at first glance it looked acceptably clean but the bed was not a king bed as requested. It was not even a queen bed (which I would not not complained). Bear in mind that I booked a King bed with courtyard view. What a joke? The courtyard view was barely a courtyard peep. Directly outside our Juliette Terrance (room 209) was the HVAC system for the building. You can imagine that it was not quiet. The toilet bowl was dirty, the floor molding is coming loose and there is a 2inch uneven floor from entry to the bedroom with no warning to watch your step - an accident waiting to happen. The bed as well as the floor slopes down. the most horrible set of springs I've ever slept on. the bed was so horribly uncomfortable that we slept on the pull out sofa. I can't tell you which was most uncomfortable as they both were. I went back to the front desk and Shay, who initially checked us in, conveniently left the area when she saw me approaching. I expressed my dissatisfaction to the college age student left managing the desk, I believe his name was Matthew. Told him this did not represent what we booked. He gave an unconvincing apology and stated they were booked solid. On the 3rd day, after 4:00pm, we still had not had room service. I called Housekeeping requesting room to be service. She stated that she was short staffed and already had her quota of rooms to clean for the day - WHAT? I thought, this stay cannot get any worst. Fortunate, we passed someone from housekeeping in the hallway and she went to the supervisor requesting our room be service. Unfortunate, I did not get her name as she was quite pleasant and expressed genuine concern about our room not being service for 3 days. Thanks to her, yhe room was cleaned according to their standards. This place is in an ideal location, it was once (over 10 years ago) a very nice quaint place with character. The owners have not put any money in the original building, furnishings or maintenance since it first open. I tried to use deductive reason as to why Shay changed our unit. the only reason I could think of is she saw we got the unit at a great price and apparently, those who do not pay an exorbitant amount they enact the bait and switch method. i don't care what I pay for the room, they sold it with my specifications and they should have been met without the switch/bait and blatant lies from staff. Do not waste your money at this DUMP! Pay the extra bucks and stay at the Doubletree, you will not be disappointed. I have pictures of the dump which I will try to post.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Walland, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I really enjoyed our gettaway to downtown Charleston and Lodge Alley Inn was the perfect place to stay for us. We were so lucky to get in last minute as this resort is usually always booked up. We loved that we were able to have our car valet parked and we didn't move it until we left the resort. We walked everywhere! I loved how close we were to the Charleston Market, all the best restaurants and the historic district. We stayed in a one bedroom unit with a fireplace and loved how quaint our room was. We met staff that had worked here for 30 years, all of whom were super friendly and helpful. We definitely hope to visit in the future.

• Stayed March 2013
Salisbury, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed here for a week as an exchange time share. We have stayed at many exchange properties all over the country and twice out of the US, and this property is definitely the worst. While it is in a good location for walking practically anywhere, the room was sparsely furnished and we never received our one mid-week cleaning. We finally had to beg for housekeeping to bring us fresh towels and to empty the garbage. The room also had the bed and bathroom up in a loft, with a steep, winding staircase going up to it. Luckily we are agile enough to go up and down, but this set-up was very inconvenient! We agree with the reviewer who spoke about the sales pitch (which we did not waste our time on, having gone down that road before), that, given how this property looks and is managed, why would anyone want to buy into it? Luckily, Charleston has so much to offer that we didn't need to spend much time in the shabby room. Take our advice and stay somewhere else!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed a long weekend in Charleston and stayed here. As other reviewers have stated it's a great location and we walked everywhere. The are great restaurants, coffee shops and bars within a few blocks, plus the river side park and The Market area. The staff was friendly and helpful. The unit had a small but full kitchen - but who cooks when in Charleston?

And as the other reviewers have stated it is shabby and worn, not very comfortable. Our room had a treacherous and creaky spiral staircase up to the bedroom and bath. The windows were large but looked out to a parking deck. Our room was on the second floor but still lots of noise from the street, especially the early morning garbage trucks. Sparse furnishings, only a worn and lumpy sofa and side chair for seating (remember the bed is up the awful stairs).
The bathroom had some counter space which was appreciated but in general the bathroom seemed not quiet clean. There was mildew on the shower curtain and hair and dirt along the edge of the floor.

We'll look for another place next time.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

When we booked the room for two nights, we knew part of the package was a presentation for Bluegreen Resorts. Well if this hotel was an indication of what this property group manages, I would not recommend it. I don't care if it is a converted 300 year old warehouse - put in light bulbs, fix the stair railings and make the beds/maid service. It was claustrophic and extremely noisy. The conceriege was not helpful (and actually rude) and even though we asked to change rooms because of the two-story loft (with no upstairs bathroom), we were told "no". Overall, during our 9,000 miles trip across and back of the USA, this was the worse place we stayed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dadeville, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We recently stayed here with friends who are BlueGreen owners. The location was excellent! We walked every day and were able to enjoy different areas of old Charleston. The exterior and service were very nice, but the unit itself was very smelly/smokey and my clothes were smokey/smelly when I unpacked at home. Perhaps it was the unit, but we were told it was a non-smoking unit. The kitchen could use some updating and the windows begged to be washed.

I'm not sure I would go again, although the location is great. Too bad.....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Lodge Alley Inn? Share your experiences!