“Pretty Place” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   195 E Bay St, Charleston, SC 29401 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #40 of 54 hotels in Charleston
“Pretty Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

My husband and I had a one bedroom, one bath with a full kitchen. Our room had nice furniture, the bed was comfortable and it had a fireplace in the main room. The inn is beautiful and there is a lovely courtyard outside. From reading reviews we knew we would pull up unload and that we wanted valet parking. Valet parking for non-members is $11.00 per night. What we didn't expect was the ever gracious Rodney. He helped us unload, took our bags upstairs and was a wealth of information. Thank you Rodney! We did get our car and drive to the beach one day and it was very easy to do. We just called the front desk and by the time we got out front the car was there. When we checked in we were told that if we needed tickets or information about town to see the concierge. Even tho Rodney was helpful we thought we would get a few pamplets and ask a few questions. I grabbed the pamplets and the concierge walked over and we were talking about places to eat and things to do and out of the blue while we are still talking she stops me and tells me she is going back to her lunch. I understand about being on a lunch break, but not being so rude. She could have mentioned this before we started talking or she could have said excuse me, but then maybe I am just being picky. In other hotels I have stayed in the concierge is there to help the guest. Other than being left standing it was a good experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

264 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Van Buren, Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We stayed in a (1)br loft,bedroom and bathroom were upstairs,stairs were very small spiral type,no bathroom downstairs,alot of rooms had balconies,but ours did not,If you want a historic place to stay,this would fit,beautiful courtyard,free coffee all day,cookies served at 4pm everyday.There is no parking unless you can find a place on the street.Cars are Valet parking only for the resort and a fee is charged.We stayed 3 nights and never got the car out.Walking distance to everything.No name brand resturants other than Subway across the street.This is a beautiful town with beautiful mansions everywhere.Highly recommend horse carriage ride thru the town.

Room Tip: Ask for balcony,or a ground level courtyard room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Cloud, Minnesota, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed in a two level suite with a beautiful loft with a king bed upstairs. I'm glad it was just two of us, there is no privacy between the bedroom and pullout couch. Interesting to have a formal dining room in this suite.We parked the first night in the midst of a TON of people. Downsides, we were told to park in the middle of the street and get our stuff out of the car (with no help) and leave it there. If we had the children with us, I would have been livid. The next morning we used the washer and dryer area. There were two of each, with one washer broken and the other in use. Waited until the washer was empty and it took over an hour to do one load. It literally stopped and flashed for 20 minutes. The second load stopped altogether. My husband gave the lid a "gentle nudge" and it finally finished spinning so we could at least remove the clothes from the machine. Upsides - We didn't touch the car until we left, walking all around the city. Beautiful area. Excellent food!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

Loved this place. Quiet, private townhouse. Nice city for relaxing. Rainbow road is neat. Old cobble stone roads. Horse drawn carriage rides. Market is right beside the alley inn. are grits, first time w shrimp...ymmv.

• Stayed November 2011
Nashville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

This was our first time to Charleston and we stayed at the Lodge Alley Inn because my sister is an owner with Bluegreen Resorts. When the reservation was made, all they had left were what they call a "studio", so I was a bit apprehensive. I mean, we all know what comes to mind when I hear "studio"....small. I have to tell you, get that out of your mind with these studios. It was "fabulous". It is downtown Charleston and in the perfect location. Also, downtown Charleston is very historic and the Lodge Alley certainly fits in. We walked into our room and saw crown molding, exposed brick, high ceilings and what we thought was looked like original hardwood flooring. Amazing!! Yes, they will want to talk to you about buying into Bluegreen Resorts if you are not an owner, but that is just their job and it is not that big of a deal in the big picture. Plus, we had a small balacony which overlooked the courtyard. Nice. They offer cookies and sherry at 4pm every afternoon. The staff is amazing, so friendly and helpful. Consierge is available to assist with things you might want to do (great recommendations). You need to valet because the is no parking except in public garages downtown. (there is a garage a couple blocks away, but do yourself a favor....valet) I had seen reviews that the valet was slow, we did not experience that at all. If you give them about 15-20 minutes notice it is no problem. Bonus is you are so close to everywhere or anything you want to do. You can park and walk everywhere. In case you can't tell, I highly recommend Lodge Alley Inn if you can stay there.

Room Tip: I was told to either stay in the studio or the 2 bedroom. In the 1 bedrooms, the only difference is...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The hotel is located in the heart of downtown Charleston, only a short walk to all the main things you'll want to see(the pier, market, etc). That was extremely convenient, especially since I have two small children that at times needed to be taken back the room for naps etc.. The hotel itself was decent nothing spectacular, the room was a little dated but very large (so that was a plus). Also, because it is downtown you have to park your car at a near by garage which a valet does for you.Overall I'd say it was very enjoyable

Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

Loved staying here! Took a little time away with my besties and reserved a studio for each of us. These are not your typical studio rooms. They were huge with each having a beautiful 4 poster bed, exposed brick walls and restored wide plank wood floors with oriental rugs. One room is rumored to be haunted by the ghost of a Revolutionary war soldier. He apparently tickles single women's feet but he must have noticed the wedding bands and left us alone.
The concierge staff was very helpful and friendly. Jake, the cute young man at the front desk, was also extremely helpful and assisted my dumb brain with my smart phone so I could use free wi fi. I felt very safe and in the middle of where we wanted to be. We took a cab to and from the airport but walked everywhere else. Loved Charleston. Will definitely return to Lodge Alley Inn.

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Lodge Alley Inn? Share your experiences!