We stayed at the King's Courtyard Inn for our anniversary. It was wonderful! Some reviews said the rooms were too small, but ours was fine. It had some antiques (or good reproductions) with a cozy historic feel. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was a little small, but adequate, and everything was clean.
The hotel has several small courtyards with fountains where you can sit and eat your breakfast or sip wine at the 5 o'clock tasting. The room price includes a continental breakfast- you can have them bring it to your room if you want. For more money, you can get eggs or french toast or a similar breakfast if you want. The staff was uniformly pleasant and helpful. We also appreciated the free WiFi- we could research our destinations on the internet and make plans prior to going out each day.
The best part was unexpected- we ended up in Room 109, which has a small private courtyard. In the mornings they would bring our breakfast and we would sit in the courtyard and eat it. Not every room has it's own courtyard, so we were lucky to get it. Next time, I will definitely ask for this room again.
The location is another plus for this hotel. The front door exit is about 2 blocks from the Slave Market, and the exit off of the courtyard puts you directly on King Street. We parked our car on arrival and did not get in it again until we left. We were able to do all our sightseeing on foot. Be warned, however- the price of parking ($10/day) will be added onto your bill.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1853, Kings Courtyard Inn is one of downtown Charleston, South Carolina's most historic inns. Architect Francis D. Lee designed the three-story antebellum structure in the Greek revival style with unusual Egyptian detail. The building is one of King Street's largest and oldest structures, and has had many uses during its 150 year existence. The building has housed high quality shops, private residences and at one time, the upper floors served as hotel rooms for plantation owners, shipping interests and merchant guests. Kings Courtyard Inn is located in the heart of Charleston's historic district. The Inn maintains the residential atmosphere of lower King Street, and extreme care has been taken to ensure the necessary architectural and historic accuracy for which Charleston is famous. Each of the rooms has an individual distinction. All rooms feature oversized beds- some have canopied beds and fireplaces. Many rooms boast excellent views of the inn's interior courtyards.All hotel guests receive complimentary sherry on arrival and a morning newspaper delivered to the room. They also receive a continental breakfast served each morning in their room, the courtyards, or in the breakfast room. Guests may also choose to order a full breakfast from the kitchen. Kings Courtyard Inn is within easy walking distance of Charleston's historic homes, gardens, churches and only a block away from the City Market. Here, one may explore interesting shops or enjoy a delicious meal at one of the city's many delightful restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Despegar.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Kings Courtyard Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kings Courtyard Hotel Charleston
- Courtyard Hotel Charleston
- Courtyard Hotel Kings
- Courtyard Charleston
- Charleston Courtyard