“loved charleston” 4 of 5 stars

“loved charleston”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2007

Excellent Location Beauitful room with a fireplace

Staff was good
Breakfast and complimentary wine very nice touch

Only complaint heard street sweepers at 5 am every am

Stayed March 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Louisville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2007

A great location with good parking. what more could someone ask for Charleston.

We stayed in Suite 505. It was super!

Two giant rooms, very comfortable.

Friendly staff.

Breakfast and papers.

Good coffee.

Wine tasting.

Priced is a very good value.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Charlotte
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2006

We stayed at the Kings Courtyard Inn for our 5th wedding anniversary. We were in the Azalea Suite, and loved it. This hotel is for people who appreciate history. It was a beautiful room with a gas fireplace, lovely furnishings. It is an older hotel, which is exactly what we wanted, a hotel that felt historic. If you are looking for cookie cutter, super modern rooms, this is not the right place for you. If you want to experience a piece of history, this inn is perfect. The breakfasts were delicious, the service was very friendly, and our room was beautiful.

• Liked — Location and historic details, gorgeous room
  • Disliked — Noise from King street, pricey.
  • Tips/Secrets — we brought along a "noise maker" (sound soother) to block out extra noise, worked great!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dayton Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2006

The Kings Courtyard Inn was built in the mid-1800s and refurbished in the 1980s, it is not like staying at your local Marriott Hotel built/renovated in 2006. In fact, there really isn’t any comparison. Our room at Kings Courtyard was well appointed with antiques and thus carried it own old world charm. But the hotel, like most antiques, shows the wear of years of use. Like Grandma’s house the hotel has been lovingly cared for, and cleaned regularly, but it is just not possible to combat some 25 years of frequent use since it‘s refurbishment. The hotel is what it is, a charming, aging antique. Yes, it absolutely could use some serious labor to bring it into the 21st century but for $150 a night (internet rate we paid for a non-smoking standard queen room) you can’t beat the location and character. Our room was very cute, with a four poster bed, fire place, and nice view overlooking King’s street. If you’re looking for a slick, posh, shiny, new hotel, you will probably not enjoy your stay. If you enjoy antiques, old world charm, friendly but relaxed service, and don’t mind a little discolored grout in a 1980’s bathroom you’ll be just fine. One has to be realistic, given its perfect downtown location if the Kings Courtyard was brand spanking new I know I wouldn’t have been able to afford it. In all I very much enjoyed my stay and would come back again.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2006

This was the most horrible place I've ever stayed! They "upgraded" us, so I hate to see what room we had before. The carpets were dirty, the toilet was always running, the tub was dirty, the blanket had crusty stuff on it, dust was every where, and it was just not comfortable b/c I was scared to sit and touch everything. One of the reasons why I decided to stay here was b/c they advertised wireless, which I thought I could get in my room, but NO I had to go downstairs and sit in the dining room to get on the internet. Breakfast was ok, not the best, but just ok. Great location, but I'm not sure if it was worth it. By all means the staff was nice, but this is just my HONEST opinion of the place.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
Knoxville, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

We decided to go to Charleston at the very last second over the long 4th of July holiday. I was able to find a last minute discount booking at Kings Courtyard. The Inn is in a GREAT location and the staff was pleasant, but we didn't interact too much with them as this was probably our 15th trip to Charleston and we are very familiar with the area. One thing to remember about Kings is that the building is over 150 years old and it shows, but I still found our room to be clean and comfortable. The air conditioner worked great which is a must for Charleston in the summer! There was an evening wine service every day (except Sunday) from 5:00-6:00 on the patio which was nice. The free breakfast was coffee, juice and pastries which you could have brought to your room or go down to the dining room to eat. Parking is $10 a day with unlimited in/out but the lot is small and shared with other Inns so I could see there being an issue with finding a space (we had to park at the far end of lot and carry our luggage). Overall, we got a decent room in a great location but the rate we paid was $100 off the regular room rate. I would not stay here and pay the full rate, I think there are better places for the same price. I would stay here again only if I could get another last minute discount. If you are planning your trip weeks/months ahead and are willing to pay $225 a night then look for another place to stay.

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2006

It was quite pleasurable to stay with my husband at the Kings Courtyard Inn during the weekend of Friday, May 5, 2006, which was our granddaughter's graduation from the College of Charleston! The Inn was just 5 blocks away from the college campus and there were several antique and clothing stores literally across the street. My room was beautiful, featuring a parlor with a fireplace and a comfortable bed with a canopy. There is a breakfast included that is brought to the room! Although the inn was busy, the staff never hesitated to help me with directions or dinner reservations or requests for extras.
I highly recommend this property!

• Stayed May 2006

Been to Kings Courtyard Inn? Share your experiences!