“Perfect for Historical Charleston!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
$189 (USD)
Ranked #23 of 54 hotels in Charleston
Charlotte
“Perfect for Historical Charleston!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2006

We stayed at the Kings Courtyard Inn for our 5th wedding anniversary. We were in the Azalea Suite, and loved it. This hotel is for people who appreciate history. It was a beautiful room with a gas fireplace, lovely furnishings. It is an older hotel, which is exactly what we wanted, a hotel that felt historic. If you are looking for cookie cutter, super modern rooms, this is not the right place for you. If you want to experience a piece of history, this inn is perfect. The breakfasts were delicious, the service was very friendly, and our room was beautiful.

• Liked — Location and historic details, gorgeous room
  • Disliked — Noise from King street, pricey.
  • Tips/Secrets — we brought along a "noise maker" (sound soother) to block out extra noise, worked great!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

312 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Dayton Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2006

The Kings Courtyard Inn was built in the mid-1800s and refurbished in the 1980s, it is not like staying at your local Marriott Hotel built/renovated in 2006. In fact, there really isn’t any comparison. Our room at Kings Courtyard was well appointed with antiques and thus carried it own old world charm. But the hotel, like most antiques, shows the wear of years of use. Like Grandma’s house the hotel has been lovingly cared for, and cleaned regularly, but it is just not possible to combat some 25 years of frequent use since it‘s refurbishment. The hotel is what it is, a charming, aging antique. Yes, it absolutely could use some serious labor to bring it into the 21st century but for $150 a night (internet rate we paid for a non-smoking standard queen room) you can’t beat the location and character. Our room was very cute, with a four poster bed, fire place, and nice view overlooking King’s street. If you’re looking for a slick, posh, shiny, new hotel, you will probably not enjoy your stay. If you enjoy antiques, old world charm, friendly but relaxed service, and don’t mind a little discolored grout in a 1980’s bathroom you’ll be just fine. One has to be realistic, given its perfect downtown location if the Kings Courtyard was brand spanking new I know I wouldn’t have been able to afford it. In all I very much enjoyed my stay and would come back again.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2006

This was the most horrible place I've ever stayed! They "upgraded" us, so I hate to see what room we had before. The carpets were dirty, the toilet was always running, the tub was dirty, the blanket had crusty stuff on it, dust was every where, and it was just not comfortable b/c I was scared to sit and touch everything. One of the reasons why I decided to stay here was b/c they advertised wireless, which I thought I could get in my room, but NO I had to go downstairs and sit in the dining room to get on the internet. Breakfast was ok, not the best, but just ok. Great location, but I'm not sure if it was worth it. By all means the staff was nice, but this is just my HONEST opinion of the place.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
Knoxville, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

We decided to go to Charleston at the very last second over the long 4th of July holiday. I was able to find a last minute discount booking at Kings Courtyard. The Inn is in a GREAT location and the staff was pleasant, but we didn't interact too much with them as this was probably our 15th trip to Charleston and we are very familiar with the area. One thing to remember about Kings is that the building is over 150 years old and it shows, but I still found our room to be clean and comfortable. The air conditioner worked great which is a must for Charleston in the summer! There was an evening wine service every day (except Sunday) from 5:00-6:00 on the patio which was nice. The free breakfast was coffee, juice and pastries which you could have brought to your room or go down to the dining room to eat. Parking is $10 a day with unlimited in/out but the lot is small and shared with other Inns so I could see there being an issue with finding a space (we had to park at the far end of lot and carry our luggage). Overall, we got a decent room in a great location but the rate we paid was $100 off the regular room rate. I would not stay here and pay the full rate, I think there are better places for the same price. I would stay here again only if I could get another last minute discount. If you are planning your trip weeks/months ahead and are willing to pay $225 a night then look for another place to stay.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2006

It was quite pleasurable to stay with my husband at the Kings Courtyard Inn during the weekend of Friday, May 5, 2006, which was our granddaughter's graduation from the College of Charleston! The Inn was just 5 blocks away from the college campus and there were several antique and clothing stores literally across the street. My room was beautiful, featuring a parlor with a fireplace and a comfortable bed with a canopy. There is a breakfast included that is brought to the room! Although the inn was busy, the staff never hesitated to help me with directions or dinner reservations or requests for extras.
I highly recommend this property!

• Stayed May 2006
Haddonfield, NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2006

If you have to stay here you can expect small rooms with shabby decor. The tufting in the chairs were so sparse you can feel the frame when you sit down. The bathroom was a disgrace. It was dirty, a smell was coming from the toilet, grout was missing along most of the tiling and dirt was impacted where the grouting should have been. The water pressure was pitiful. Most room face a courtyard that was very noisey with clanging dishes and loud conversation. The staff was personable but clueless. The staff was running between the Fulton and Kings Courtyard for "necessities" where the other had run out. There was a water main break while we were there and they didn't advise the patrons not to drink the water or give the "OK" when the water was declared potable. Warm bottled was provided when you went down to the concierge to ask for it. No hot coffee or tea was provided during the shortage. They actually informed us "no restaurant or hotel in town" was serving food.
That was not true. This is definitely a shoestring operation and the string is taught. Find another hotel unless you crave mediocrity and dirt. Finally, there were printed cards in the bedroom and baths explaining their commitment to conservation and therefore we had not had new bedding or towels for a week. Sounds to me like another cost-cutting measure for the Courtyard. It would be best to close this hotel, spend a few bucks in renovations and re-open, even at higher rates, as the location is good. I welcome a response from management and a small credit for the inconvenience of no water for two day would be equally as appropriate.

• Stayed March 2006
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2006

We enjoyed our trip to Charleston - went for the food/wine festival. The Kings Courtyard Inn was a great location for attending the event. We were also close to shopping, restaurants, etc. We never used our car the entire weekend - loved being able to walk every where.

Staff was friendly and helpful in finding restaurants in town and making reservations. They also hosted a wine tasting on the back patio.

The rooms were cheerful and characteristic of Charleston. My only complaint would be the bathrooms- floor needed re grouted/cleaned, towels were scratchy, the sheets were the kind that come off while your sleeping so that you wake up touching the bare matress. Bring your own pillow.

Overall, we enjoyed our hotel - super cute for the Charleston experience.

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Kings Courtyard Inn? Share your experiences!