“Excellent location and charming property” 4 of 5 stars

Kings Courtyard Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   198 King Street, Charleston, SC 29401 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #21 of 59 Hotels in Charleston
Holly Springs, North Carolina
“Excellent location and charming property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by the cozy charm this property exhibited. I went with friends for a "girls weekend" and we shared a 2 bedroom suite that was perfect for our needs. The complementary breakfast was a nice touch and the outdoor courtyards were great for the afternoon wine and light appetizer reception. It is centrally located and the staff was very helpful and pleasant. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Kings Courtyard Inn, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you for your recommendation of the Kings Courtyard Inn. I am glad that our hotel served as an excellent destination for your girls' weekend trip. Our guests find that suites provide a comfortable and convenient space for group travel. We appreciate your wonderful review and certainly look forward to hosting you again. We hope that a girls weekend here at the Inn will become a new tradition in years to come.

Sincerely, Richard Widman, Proprietor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Over Thanksgiving, my husband, dog and I drove to Florida to visit family. It was our first trip with the dog and our first experience with "dog friendly" hotels. Our experience ran the gamut from welcoming to tolerant. The Kings Courtyard Inn is tolerant.
The hotel's location is great -- right in the center of the action. There is a parking lot adjacent to the hotel.
When I called to make the reservation and to check that they did indeed welcome dogs, I spoke with a woman named Lisa -- she was lovely and based on my conversation with her, we were excited for our stay.
I would say that's where our positive experience ended. Some of it based on our timing and some of it based on staff and the room.
Upon checking in, I felt less than welcomed, I felt like an imposition. The gentleman at the front desk allowed another woman to jump in front of me with a question while I waited to check in. He seemed annoyed by both me and our dog. When I spoke with Lisa she indicated there would be a list of dog friendly restaurants waiting for us -- there wasn't. After some pressing, the gentleman came up with a couple of suggestions one was Bubba Gumps.
Our room was 402 -- it was off the courtyard, worn and dark -- the windows faced an alley. I understand that it's what you get when you travel with a dog. The head board was loose, the in-room fridge dirty and unstable -- like the one I had in college. I wanted to open the window, but neither had a screen. When your window is street level and opens to an alley, you want SOME protection.
They offer a little social hour from 5:00 - 6:00 p.m. -- we missed it, they were serving their last guests as we walked in about 6:15 p.m and even though the wine and the glasses were out -- it was too late.
There is no restaurant or room service -- we got carry out at Toast a little restaurant around the corner. They were very nice and the food was good -- we ate in our room.
We left early the next morning. There was coffee in the lobby, which was nice, but the guy at the front desk barely noticed us at check out.
It was too expensive for the experience. Maybe other rooms are nicer, maybe other guests feel more welcome, but if you're traveling with a pet -- I would not consider this an option. Based on our experience, I would not return, even without a pet.

Room Tip: The rooms off the courtyard are dark and the windows open to an alley.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Kings Courtyard Inn. I am glad that you enjoyed our downtown location. We take each TripAdvisor comment very seriously, so I am sorry to read about your negative experiences. I can assure you that we treat all guests with the same care and respect- whether they are traveling with or without a pet. Although we do not have a restaurant on site, we do have a breakfast room and also offer room service during morning hours. I’m sorry that you were not aware of this complimentary service. We appreciate your feedback and have spoken to the gentleman mentioned in your comment. We constantly strive to improve our guest experience and value your review.

St. Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

My wife and I hadn't been to Charleston in over 20 years, and were looking forward to a romantic getaway. We chose the 'Kings Courtyard Inn' in the historic part of town, and are very glad we did. My wife just loved the Suite that we had reserved. And the service was outstanding. There were two people (on staff) that made our stay that much more astonishing - James (night manager) and Takia (at breakfast). Thank you for helping to make our stay so enjoyable!

Room Tip: Our Suite was well worth the money!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Kings Courtyard Inn, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for choosing to spend such a special weekend at the Kings Courtyard Inn. I hope Charleston was just as wonderful as you remembered. I am glad that you both enjoyed your suite and am thrilled that James and Takia delivered excellent service. We have a wonderful team at the Kings Courtyard Inn. I hope you are able to visit us again, sooner rather than later. Thank you for the recommendation.

Stowe, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

The Kings Courtyard is not the plushest, most luxuriant hotel in Charleston. It is very comfortable, well located, quiet, and charming. And it has staff who will go the extra mile to be helpful and make your stay more pleasant. It is the staff that really sets this hotel apart. My visit occurred during the week of Hurricane Sandy, and I needed all of the help I could muster to get my disrupted travel plans ironed out. The staff at Kings Courtyard was extraordinary in providing that assistance in a professional and immediate manner. That alone is worth a stay here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
I am sorry to hear that your travel plans were disrupted due to Hurricane Sandy but am so proud that our staff was helpful and accommodating in the midst of the storm. As owner, I too agree that our staff makes the inn stand out among the rest. I will be sure to share your testimonial with our team. I hope you arrived home safely and look forward to hosting future visits to Charleston.

Lake Oswego, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Appears worn out. To expensive for the quality. Breakfast was fair. Sherry in the evening was good. Staff fair service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Kings Courtyard Inn, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you for your feedback on the Kings Courtyard Inn. I am glad you enjoyed our Southern hospitality, staff and complimentary amenities. I am sorry to read that your experience did not meet your expectations. We believe that our room rates are in line with our location and the quality of service our staff delivers. We appreciate your review.

Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

My wife and I traveled to Charleston for our wedding anniversary and had a blast. When we arrived the concierge desk was very helpful in suggesting local sites and restaurants and we settled in for a few days. Our room had a private courtyard which was great for an evening cigar after a full day of walking around this beautiful city. We would reccommend Amen St. Oyster Bar for oysters and great ambiance as well as Slightly North of Broad or "SNOB" as it's known for great shrimp and grits. The location of this Hotel on King St. was ideal with shopping, antique shops, and restaurants within walking distance. We also dined at Husk as well as 82 queen which were both great as well. This town has such a nice laid back feel and the architecture was beautiful. I will admit that the bathroom of the room could use a bit of refreshening but the location and the staff certainly make up for a bit of cosmetics. This historic hotel is also well over 100 years old so the architecture and feel of the various courtyards made up for the fact that it's not a brand new Hilton. The aquarium was a nice trip as well as the historic cruise which educated us about some of the history and culture of this area as well as a beautiful couple of hour trip. I can't wait to return to Charleston and will without hesitation consider staying at The Kings Courtyard Inn again! If you are a foodie, this is the town for you. We also gained about 5lbs each in a week! Worth every ounce!

Room Tip: We had a private courtyard room that was great for an evening cigar after a busy day of siteseeing.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Kings Courtyard Inn, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for such an outstanding review of your trip to Charleston. We're thrilled that you had such a memorable anniversary celebration at the Kings Courtyard Inn. I am glad that you enjoyed the inn's historic feel and were able to dine and shop at the many wonderful places within walking distance. I thank you for recommendation. We look forward to hosting many more anniversaries.

virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

We've just returned home from four nights in Charleston. We were a group of 22 travelers and we all were very happy with our rooms, hotel location, service and especially meeting in the courtyard for wine and cheese before heading out to dinner each night. We all highly recommend The Kings Courtyard Inn and their very helpful and courteous staff. The Inn works for a large group and would be perfect for a romantic stay as well! You will not be disappointed!!!!!!!
Regency Reveler

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at Kings Courtyard Inn, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
I'm thrilled that all 22 of you had such a wonderful time at the Kings Courtyard Inn. Our staff truly enjoys hosting groups and I believe this shines through their excellent service. The inn is an ideal location for large gatherings - the afternoon wine reception is always a great place to regroup. Thank you for such a wonderful recommendation. We look forward to seeing you again.

Sincerely, Richard Widman, Owner

Been to Kings Courtyard Inn? Share your experiences!