Our room was somewhat as expected for a historic inn. We felt it could have been more lushly decorated to add to the old-world charm. The bed was beautiful and definitely the focal point of the room, but other furnishings and decorations were lacking, considering the $200/night price tag. The room was spacious, but long and narrow with the much too small TV set being mounted at the far end from the bed which made it hard to see and hear from the bed, especially when the loud air conditioner fan turned on. We ended up adjusting the volume up and down continually to combat the AC noise. As stated by others, the bathrooms are dated and could use some sprucing up. Was nice to have the small refrigerator for small items, but it was very old and difficult to access under the bathroom counter. We never took room service in the room because there was really no convenient place (table) to sit even though there was plenty of room for a bit larger table in place of the small end table between the two chairs.
On the postive side, the location of this inn is a real plus. Only 2 blocks from the Market and within walking distance of just about every tourist destination in the historic district of Charleston. The courtyard area and fountain were definitely reminiscent of old European hotels and we enjoyed having our breakfast there. The breakfast was adequate, although we expected something a bit more upscale for the price category...maybe including things like lox and bagels, or an assortment of cheeses and bread, like the European places do. The wine and cheese hour was a nice touch, but not being alcohol drinkers, there was no alternative drinks offered other than water. Also, it was nice to have on-site parking and we had no issue with finding a space but the $12 per night additional fee seemed a bit over the top to us when you are already spending $200 a night for the room. It would be a nice perk to offer free parking to guests of the inn. All in all, the hotel staff was very polite and accomodating and we enjoyed our stay, although we really spent more time walking around the city than we actually did in the hotel. Might come here again but would probably try out some other places for comparison first.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1853, Kings Courtyard Inn is one of downtown Charleston, South Carolina's most historic inns. Architect Francis D. Lee designed the three-story antebellum structure in the Greek revival style with unusual Egyptian detail. The building is one of King Street's largest and oldest structures, and has had many uses during its 150 year existence. The building has housed high quality shops, private residences and at one time, the upper floors served as hotel rooms for plantation owners, shipping interests and merchant guests. Kings Courtyard Inn is located in the heart of Charleston's historic district. The Inn maintains the residential atmosphere of lower King Street, and extreme care has been taken to ensure the necessary architectural and historic accuracy for which Charleston is famous. Each of the rooms has an individual distinction. All rooms feature oversized beds- some have canopied beds and fireplaces. Many rooms boast excellent views of the inn's interior courtyards. All hotel guests receive complimentary sherry on arrival and a morning newspaper delivered to the room. They also receive a continental breakfast served each morning in their room, the courtyards, or in the breakfast room. Kings Courtyard Inn is within easy walking distance of Charleston's historic homes, gardens, churches and only a block away from the City Market. Here, one may explore interesting shops or enjoy a delicious meal at one of the city's many delightful restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Sabre Hospitality Solutions and Booking.com so you can book your Kings Courtyard Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kings Courtyard Hotel Charleston
- Courtyard Hotel Charleston
- Courtyard Hotel Kings
- Courtyard Charleston
- Charleston Courtyard