“History, comfort, southern hospitality...did I mention history?” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Weekday Special
Ranked #9 of 58 Hotels in Charleston
Kannapolis, NC
“History, comfort, southern hospitality...did I mention history?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2010

If you are into history, the Rutledge house is a special place. Built before the Declaration and American revolution. The original owner of the house was one of the signers of the US Constitution. President Washington (yeah, that guy) was a guest in the house. The current owners have restored the house to how it was in the 1850's, but some original elements remain, like the huge pocket doors between the large rooms on the first and second floors.

I had the pleasure of owning a two room suite on the ground floor for the day. The front room was large enough to entertain several guests if you would want, and large windows let the sun shine in. The bedroom was equally big. Both rooms had ornate fireplaces original to the 1850's upgrade, and were gas fired. A nice touch in February, even in Charleston! A table and two chairs for breakfast in the bedroom would be a welcome addition, but there is plenty of room for that in the front room. There was a modern bathroom with good hot water off the bedroom, and two flat panel TV's, so I didn't have to use the chamber pot, heat my water in a pot over the fireplace, or read my "Common Sense" by candlelight! Are we spoiled or what?

The tea time in the afternoon was great. I met some nice people. Ate some finger food and had some alcohol concoctions that I don't usually imbibe in. Had great conversation.

The breakfast in the morning was punctual. (And they have coffee with fresh cream in the main hallway). You can have it in the room, the courtyard (weather permitting) or in the ballroom.

Giving big kudos to the staff. I felt like part of the family there. These people knew everything about the city you would ever want to know. Made me want to give them my twitter account (just kidding, don't do the tweet). And I will be back, I am saving up.

If you want to experience historic Charleston, you need to stay here for sure. You can almost feel the spirits.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Palatine, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

The Inn is located in the historic area. Besides the Inn they had Coach Houses . Being a 3 generation Family Reunion we chose a Coach House. It was beautifully decorated & felt like your own home. Enjoyed delicious breakfasts in the Ballroom & the 4 p.m. Teatime with delicious desserts. The entire staff were wonderful. Helpful with choices for touring & restaurants & anything else needed . Took the Magnolia Plantation & City Tours, the Aquarium, Hunley Submarine, a Comedy Show, all good choices. Everything was just perfect.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2010

At first, the room really stunned me. Big, histroical, and apparently clean. THEN, I noticed a dead roach on the floor by the door (clear view of any cleaning staff). I swept it under the wardrobe, so my sister would not get upset. Then, we went shopping on King St. as the hotel is in a great location-walking distance of shops and restaurants. We hurried back for afternoon tea and found, to our diappointment, underwhelming cookies (storebought?), sandwiches that were dry and ordinary-egg salad. No hot tea. We arrived about 45 minutes before the scheduled end of tea and no replacements were ever brought. If someone had arrived, say 15 minutes before the end , he/she would be out of luck as they were just scattered remnants of sandwiches, cookies. Very disappointing.
BUT, the worse, I mean absolutely worse thing about the room, was the bed linens. They has NOT been changed. I was horrified to find dirt, hair, and "pills" in the sheets. When I called the desk to observe, she said that the maids had dropped some of their hiar braids on the linens. :( No way. They had not been changed. When the front desk girl pulled the linens off (since I requested new sheets-I had to ask), to my absolute HORROR, a big, yellow stain that looked to be 10 years old, was on the mattress pad. This tells me they don't even care because it was in clear view to one who would change the sheets.
Well, my sister and I stayed the night. It was too late to pack up and leave.
The breakfast the next morning was a major disappointment. We arrived at 7:30, our appointed time. THe cook was taking a smoking break (yum, very appertizing) in the courtyard. At 7:30. He came over shortly and asked us if we were room 9. We told him and quietly observed his dirty apron. My sister's shrimp and grits -well, she did not eat them. She said the shrimp were hard/overcooked. We both had lost our appetities by then.

To be fair, when I talked to the innkeeper, she offered a 20% discount. I told her I was thinking of more. She said how much, and I said 1/2. She agreed to gaking 1/2 off the bill, but I am disgusted with myself because a reputable place would have apologized and said the night is on us.
She finally apologized when we were walking out the door.
ONe more thing: no fire escapes. When I inquired about it, the girl said, "Um, no one has ever asked that before. THere are sprinklers." Great, on the third floor, well, that is not enough. She also said the windows were sealed shut.
I would not go back nor recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Savannah, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2010

My husband and I visited Charleston in mid-December which is a wonderful time to experience this city's charms because things are very slow and quiet. After we were graciously shown to our lovely room (complete with four poster bed and two fireplaces!) , we took the concierge's advice and toured one of the nearby historic homes. Even though the weather was gray and cold, we enjoyed our walk in and around the historic neighborhoods. Dinner at the Italian restaurant Fulton Five ( just a couple of blocks away) was wonderful and we rounded out our evening by listening to the jazz group at Charleston Place. Breakfast in our room the next morning was very special. We look forward to any excuse to visit Charleston and the John Rutledge House Inn.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
flat rock,nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

The staff was so accomodating and knowledgeable and the hotel was central to all that we wanted to do during our stay. The room was lovely and very comfortable. Our accomodations were on the street front and a little noisier than we are used to, but certainly not overly annoying. The breakfast menus were delicious and there were so many items to choose from for sides. It was truly a treat to have breakfast in our room every morning. The room was always cleaned nicley every day.

• Stayed December 2009
tallahassee, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2010

we've never stayed at a "luxurious" inn before, and were very happy, and even enchanted, with our stayin john rutledge's carriage house (behind the main house). we chose to have our breakfasts served in the elegantly appointed and welcoming ballroom - the rutledge biscuits with warm sherried fruit were delicious -- and every afternoon, tea and pastries are served as well. the room was immaculate, the bed very comfortable, and the concierges were very helpful and friendly. we HIGHLY recommend this inn

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

Our stay at the John Rutledge House Inn was fantastic from the moment we stepped through the door. We were greeted by a friendly and helpful concierge, and the bellhop was very polite. The room was beautiful! The canopy bed and fireplace gave the room a cozy feel. The flat screen TV, wireless internet, and spacious bathroom were appreciated ammenities. The afternoon tea and the breakfasts were delicious, and the staff was very professional. The location of the John Rutledge House Inn was great. All of the sights were within walking distance. We parked the car upon arrival, and did not have to move it until we left. We highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to John Rutledge House Inn? Share your experiences!