“Wonderful April Trip to John Rutledge House Inn” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
$249 (USD)
Ranked #10 of 54 hotels in Charleston
Manchester, New Hampshire, United States
“Wonderful April Trip to John Rutledge House Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My wife and I spent Wed - Sat at the John Rutledge House Inn - we are from N.H. and this was our first visit to Charleston. What a wonderful inn -we stayed in the carriage house and from the moment we arrived, the concierges and support staff were extremely welcoming. The room was spacious and we loved the Tempurpedic mattress. The proximity (walking distance) to great shopping and dining was also a plus. Breakfast was very good and the related service was wonderful - a few days my wife wanted to sleep in and the staff was very flexible with the service. We also enjoyed the relative privacy of the carriage house (only 4 rooms per, two houses behind the inn). We are planning another trip in late October and have already booked our stay at this wonderful inn.

Room Tip: Carriage house is more private than the inn, however not as "historical". The inn rooms se...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at John Rutledge House Inn, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your stay at the John Rutledge House Inn. It must have been a treat to escape the New England weather for some Charleston sun. I am thrilled that your first Charleston experience was here at our inn. My staff and myself are very appreciative of your kind words. We have an excellent team here - always willing to go above and beyond for guests. Our carriage houses provide wonderful, private accommodations, and I am so glad that you enjoyed your room. We look forward to hosting you again in October!

352 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Highland Park, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

It's a great place for dogs and that may be its major virtue.
The building is tired and not what one would expect at $300+ per night.
Although the staff is friendly and attempt to be helpful there is not much they can do with air conditioning that does not work, rooms that need updating and refurbishing--especially bathrooms, creaky floors, and breakfasts that are mediocre at best. One gets the impression that the operation is being milked for the reputation that it once might have deserved.
if you read the "MidwestGirl22" and "Jrlisak" reviews you will find our sentiments and experiences shared by these two reviewers almost to a "T".

Room Tip: nothing would help.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
I appreciate you taking the time to review your experience. Thank you for the notes about our accommodating staff and pet friendly accommodations. I talked with our Innkeeper about the air conditioning malfunction, and am confident that our team did everything in their power to get the issues resolved during your stay. We only wish that we had been able to move your room, but as you are aware, the inn was full. I hope you enjoyed the bottle of champagne as a token of our apologies. All guest feedback is taken very seriously. We are in the initial stages of designing and planning bathroom updates, as well as other projects to constantly add modern conveniences and respect the historic nature of the 1763 building.

Columbia, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

John Rutledge House is quite a unique place to stay in Charleston and I strongly recommend it for couples. The prime location on Broad Street right next to St. John's Cathederal is fairly central, placing you within walking distance of the majority of the historic sections of Charleston. But be sure to wear comfortable shoes and for some things you may still want to drive. There on site parking is a nice plus and although there is a fee, it is pretty reasonable and was made clear when we booked. The Inn possesses an Old World charm that you might expect from the home of a prominent American Statesman like John Rutledge (South Carolina Governor and signer of the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution). The hotel consists of the main House with a Ballroom and connecting Veranda overlooking historic Broad Street. There are also two out buildings on the back of the property referred to as the Carriage House. The guest rooms in the house are nicely decorated, but a bit more rustic and noisy, so if you are interested in more modern sleeping arrangements, I would strongly recommend booking one of the Carriage House rooms. In my opinion, our room in the Carriage House was well appointed and very comfortable, with a private bath, flat screen TV, and WiFi access. You should also take advantage of complimentary luxuries like the afternoon reception in the ballroom with appetizers and cordials, and turndown service - complete with a chocolate. The full hot breakfast, which was very good by the way, can be delivered to your room, the garden or the Ballroom. We experienced excellent hospitality, and the Staff was extremely knowledgeable, friendly and helpful in making arrangements like dining suggestions and reservations. To me the only downside is the Inn is usually quite expensive. However, if you can travel in the off season (i.e., January and February) then the cost is more reasonable. For example through the end of February this year, they had an offer for Sunday - Thursday nights from $189. We really enjoyed our romantic interlude and had a great time in this charming Charleston Inn.

Room Tip: For quieter, more modern sleeping arrangements, I would strongly recommend booking one of the Carria...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in April. We paid $380/night and were expecting something wonderful. There were no major issues, just a sense of it being a rather average B&B. Did not feel it was spotless and the breakfast was dissapointing and industrial when compared to other places we've stayed. Three days a week (M-W-F) they offer a delicious sounding french toast which we were not able to try because T-Th-Sat their speciality is shrimp and grits for breakfast (not appetizing for us northerners) and Sunday is a turkey/mozz/pesto type frittata. They offer eggs and bacon everyday and you can pick from a variety of standard breakfast options as well (toast, yogurt, cereal...). I was expecting a bit more of a home-cooked feel but everything was delivered on trays wrapped with plastic (not sure where they had to bring it from).
We had a room on the 3rd floor of the main house (note that there are two small houses in the rear, also). It was spacious and had everything we needed but the street noise was irritating (Broad is a farely busy road) and the remote for the TV did not work from the beds (too far away). The floors were very creaky so I'm glad we were not below another room.
If we were to ever come back to Charleston we would definitely find another place to stay. The money we spent here was not worth it.

Room Tip: Ask for room on the highest floor to minimize noise from above.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at John Rutledge House Inn, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am sorry to read that you were disappointed. We do not consider ourselves to be an average B&B. One of those reasons being, our variety of daily breakfast entrees versus offering our guests only one item. Most Rutledge House guests enjoy the freedom to decide where they’d like to eat breakfast, and what they’d like to eat each morning. I wish you would have tried the Shrimp & Grits, as we have converted many Yankees into grits fans! We truly appreciate your feedback as we constantly look for ways to improve the inn.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I wish I had read the tripadvisor reviews before booking/staying here. The 7 yelp reviews were all 5 stars, and when I walked in, and then proceeded to our room, and then ate breakfast, and then went for appetizers.... I was disappointed overall.

Background on us: husband & I in our early 30s; from Boston; paying over $300 a night is worth it to us when we expect amazingness, but we certainly don't typically spend this much. (Our room at the JRI was $340 a night - really, would have/could have/should have been worth it, but wasn't!)

First off-- the good. The location is amazing. That's definitely true. Also, our ground floor room was spacious and clean (despite a few stains on the chair near the table, and a small stain on the bed spread). The balcony is really beautiful - on the second floor, off the ballroom.

The most disappointing:

(1) The walls/ceilings are super thin. Every night before we went to sleep, we heard lots of creaking above us. Not just a little bit, but a lot, for a decent amount of time. Annoying. More annoying was the fact that one night, a bunch of people must have come in drunk, because there was some seriously boisterous yelling in the entrance area (or so I"m assuming) around 2am. This was SUPER annoying and woke both of us (but I know this isn't the Inn's fault).

(2) After seeing the room and being disappointed, I double-checked how much we were paying per night, and then went online to see if that was really how much the room cost, still. When I went online, it was $289 a night - $50/night less. I realize this is how things go, but my stomach turned a bit, because $289 a night would have been more reasonable (given that Charleston is expensive)

Other disappointing:
(1) It's more of a hotel than a B&B. Just didn't feel anything like a Southern Charm B&B (like the Gastonion, in Savannah, which wow'ed me every moment I was there!)

(2) First impression - a bit dark in the entrance area. Not a welcoming, relaxing, inviting entrance area.

(3) Ground floor room - from the entrance area, we went down to a floor to our room. The room was at street level - so when I looked out the windows, you could see people walking by from time to time, and they could easily look in. This meant we kept the blinds down most of the time, while there, which detracts from the windows. Again, the room was fine - it was spacious and clean (though I think the table & chairs in it is unnecessary and fills it too much). It just wasn't anything spectacular. It could have been any decent hotel room in any decent hotel (as opposed to Souther charm loveliness!). Also, I realized afterwards that I had booked the ground floor room - so this was my fault for misundestanding what this meant. Still, for $340 a night, was disappointed.

Also, of course I didn't stay in any other rooms, but there were two suites right off of the entrance area - one to each side of the front desk. As much as I was not thrilled with a ground floor room, I would really have not wanted to have my room be right next to where people check in/out.

Other:
(1) Breakfast - breakfast was fine. Nothing phenomenal, but not bad. The JRI biscuit with hot sherry fruit was very good. A bit weird that it came wrapped in plastic, which we had to undo, but tasted very good.

(2) Appetizers in afternoon with port/sherry: this was okay. I tried one app and thought it was okay, but didn't go back for more. The apps are in the ballroom, on the second floor. The ballroom should have been charming and refreshing, but kinda felt a bit dated (which I realize must sound weird, since it's SUPPOSED to be dated).

Anyway, in sum, I would be writing a very different review if my expectations had been lower, or if the hotel had cost $200 (Even $250 for expensive Charleston), but at $340 a night, I was expecting amazingness, and this did not cut it. I am sure my disappointment was augmented by the fact that we had just come from the most amazing B&B in Savannah (for $200 a night), and I compared every aspect of the JRI to the Gastonian, and on every front, it was not as good.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are street level; I would prefer to be on the 2nd floor or higher. There are two...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
I am very sorry to read that you were disappointed with the John Rutledge House Inn. I am however, glad that you enjoyed our central location and had an enjoyable time in Charleston. During the renovation of our historic inn, we worked with engineers to find the best soundproofing solutions. We installed special insulation between rooms and floors to buffer noise. We recognize that this is an important item to address and appreciate your feedback. We apologize for the loud passersby on Broad Street, but as you noted, that unfortunately is out of our control. Our rates vary seasonally and your trip to Charleston coincided with the city’s peak travel season. The rate you discovered online was only made available after another guest canceled last minute. We strive for excellence and take all comments very seriously. We again, are so sorry to have disappointed you and truly appreciate the feedback.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We enjoyed our recent stay at the John Rutledge House in where we celebrated our 25th Anniversary. The inn was lovely with well appointed, large rooms filled with history and antiques. We enjoyed a delicious and plentiful breakfast in the garden courtyard each morning. The concierge had great suggestions about activities and restaurants and was helpful in making reservations. The restaurant Circa 1886 in the sister inn was excellent and surprisingly reasonably priced. The location of the Inn couldn't be better -- an easy walk to all the attractions. The Inn serves a nice afternoon tea in the ballroom and on the balcony overlooking Broad Street. The staff treated us to a bottle of champagne on our anniversary, a thoughtful touch. Even though this wasn't our first visit to Charleston, we found the Discover Charleston package was a perfect balance of activities and relaxation. When we return to Charleston, we will stay here.

Room Tip: We stayed in the main building and enjoyed being part of the history.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at John Rutledge House Inn, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Happy 25th Anniversary! I am thrilled that you had such an exceptional stay and took advantage of our Discover Charleston package. We appreciate your comments and hope to spend many more special occasions with you both. Thank you for the wonderful recommendation.

East Meadow, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the John Rutledge House Inn just before Easter and loved every minute of it. We had a spacious room that accommodated myself, husband and two children on the second floor. The staff was extremely helpful in providing information and going out of their way to help with reservations, confirming details like dress codes, etc. The breakfast was excellent with two hot choices each day served either in room, in the sitting room or on the courtyard. The room was clean, the staff was friendly - we will definitely stay there again if we get back to Charleston!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to John Rutledge House Inn? Share your experiences!