“Pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 54 Hotels in Charleston
Wolverhampton
“Pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

This is an old inn with charm but a little frayed round the edges. Some wallpaper is coming undone and the bathrooms are not what you would call 'high spec'. Having said that, the John Rutledge suite we stayed in was spacious and very nicely furnished. You can feel the history in the place and the innkeeper was very welcoming, her staff extremely helpful. Breakfast I personally did not enjoy very much, but it was nothing to complain about; I'm probably just fussy...Unlike the previous reviewer, I had no problem with the WiFi at all. It was efficient on all my three devices. Noise is an issue, as the floor boards announce every person going up or down the stairs, but there again, it IS an old inn. The drawing room was intimate and we met some nice fellow travellers, with whom to exchange thoughts and ideas.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor will be the quietest.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at John Rutledge House Inn, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the John Rutledge House Inn. I take great pride in our staff and always enjoy reading such fantastic notes about their service. I know you have read previous reviews, so you might already be aware that we took many measures to soundproof the building with the greatest care during its restoration. I do appreciate your feedback on the issue as we are constantly striving to improve. I am so glad that overall, you had a wonderful stay at the inn. We look forward to hosting your next trip to Charleston.

Sincerely, Richard Widman, Proprietor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We had a mother / daughter trip to Charleston, Beaufort and Savannah. I did a lot of research on hotels. I'm so glad we decided to stay at the Rutledge House. It was in a great location. The house is beautiful. We had a suite on the top floor which was beautiful and had a great view of the cathedral. The beds were the most comfortable on the whole trip. The staff is great too, very helpful. We appreciated the cooler of chilled water available at any time, the afternoon tea and evening sherry service. The breakfast was great. You can order anything you want and have it anywhere in the Inn or in your room. The only negative is that the coffee was not good. We kept asking for strong coffee but it was very weak tasting. That was unfortunate. I'm a tea drinker and the water for the hot tea tasted metallic.I couldn't drink it. Also, the housekeeping could be a little better. They didn't empty the trash and please clean the close up mirror in the bathrooms. So for that I would give it 4 and 1/2 circles. Otherwise I highly recommend staying at the Rutledge. We had a wonderful time in Charleston.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at John Rutledge House Inn, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for a lovely review of your recent stay at the John Rutledge House Inn. We were thrilled to host such a special trip for you and your daughter. I am thrilled that you were happy with your hotel choice. I appreciate your feedback on areas of improvement. We always take these notes into consideration, as we strive for 100% guest satisfaction.

Rancho Palos Verdes, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Three of my patients here in So Cal mentioned how much they enjoyed Charleston, and my wife and I were celebrating 25 years of marriage, so we thought we would explore a part of the South we had not seen ... my hygienist had been to the Rutledge House and recommended it highly, and we now understand why. History, architectural delights, a most helpful staff, room, service, fabulous breakfasts and we could walk everywhere we wished, leaving our rental car parked in the lot. A wonderful stay, and wonderful city!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at John Rutledge House Inn, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
It was a treat to host your anniversary celebration and first visit to Charleston here at the Inn. Myself and my staff are thrilled that the John Rutledge House Inn lived up to your expectations. You'll have to visit us again in the new year. We have many celebrations planned for the home's 250th anniversary. Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience. We look forward to hosting you again!

Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

No soundproofing in between floors and rooms. Somewhat to be expected in a Bed and Breakfast, but this is supposed to be the upper end, so I expected more,,,and was disappointed.
If you need Wifi,,,don't come here. They have it. It is so slow and useless, that they may as well be using tin cans and a string. Very disappointing. When we checked out, I mentioned it to the Manager, he said they used to write everything on paper until very recently,,so I guess this was a step up for them. Again, for a high end B&B, they should have better. I got better Wifi at the coffee shop across the street. For FREE! Excellent staff. Very attentive and willing to help out. Sal is the onsite guy Friday. He was the best.
Rooms were nice, and very clean, but the plumbing could use some updating. Noisy at night, room to room, biggest complaint.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at John Rutledge House Inn, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the John Rutledge House Inn. I am thrilled that you were so pleased with our staff. Each person strives to deliver an excellent experience. I am sorry that you were disappointed by the noise level at the inn. As you are aware, the inn is historic. Given the historic features that had to be preserved during its restoration, we hired a sound engineer to provide the best soundproofing solutions. Thank you for your note about the internet, we will certainly look at ways to improve the speed of our connection. I appreciate your feedback, as this guides us in seeking 100% guest satisfaction.

Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I travel regularly to Charleston for business and have stayed at many fine hotels and inns. However, the John Rutledge House Inn stands out among them all and is where I now stay during my trips. The rooms in both the main house and carriage houses are spacious and nicely decorated and the beds are extremely comfortable. The location is very quiet and private, which is an added benefit in downtown Charleston.
The complimentary breakfast is outstanding (especially the french toast) and the courtyard is a great place to enjoy breakfast. The staff are alwasy freindly and helpful.
Parking is very convenient and the location can't be beat as it is in the heart of downtown and just a few blocks from the Battery.Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at John Rutledge House Inn, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for sharing your exceptional experience at the John Rutledge House Inn. I am thrilled that the inn is your designated place to stay when traveling to Charleston on business. Our central location is very convenient for enjoying the city but has the comforts of home to enjoy during downtime. I appreciate your kind remarks about our staff and will be sure to pass your compliments on. We look forward to hosting your next visit to the Holy City.

Portland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Our fifth time to this wonderful Bed and Breakfast. We have never stayed anywhere else when in Charleston. All personnel are always very attentitive, personable and helpful. The location is perfect, park your car and you can walk to everything from the Inn. Wonderful amenitities, plus, you chose where you want to have breakfast, outside, in the ballroom or in your room.
If you are looking for history, comfort and a very homey environment, then John Rutledge is your place. Enjoy!!!

Room Tip: We have mostly stayed on the third floor of the house. Specifically, we have stayed in room 8. Love...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
OwnerCharmingInns, Owner at John Rutledge House Inn, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share such a wonderful review of your fifth stay with us. I am thrilled that the John Rutledge House Inn is your go-to bed and breakfast while visiting Charleston. Thank you for your kind remarks about our staff and notes about our third floor accommodations. We will celebrate the home's 250th birthday in 2013 and I hope you're able to return and enjoy some of the events planned.

Thank you again. Sincerely, Richard Widman, Proprietor
Ojai, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We added a trip to Charleston at the last minute and picked the Rutledge Inn based on reviews from TA. It was a great choice. The room was large and beautifully decorated. The two ladies at the front desk (Katie and Patrice) were very friendly and helpful with recommendations.We had a wonderful stay and we would definitely stay at the Inn at any future trip to Charleston.

Room Tip: We had a downstairs room in the main house and even though it faced Broad Street, we heard no street...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your John Rutledge House experience. I am thrilled that your experience was in line with the wonderful reviews left by fellow Trip Advisor users. I am glad that you enjoyed your accommodations and our concierge team was so helpful in your navigation of Charleston. We look forward to hosting your next trip to the Holy City.

Sincerely, Richard Widman, Proprietor

Been to John Rutledge House Inn? Share your experiences!