“Great place to stay in the historic area of Charleston” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
15% OFF Select Dates
Ranked #37 of 57 Hotels in Charleston
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Great place to stay in the historic area of Charleston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

We recently enjoyed 4 days and 3 nights at the Elliott House Inn in Charleston. We were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary and it was our first visit to Charleston. The location is perfect for walking around the city. We enjoyed being served breakfast in our room each morning. We received good advice from the staff on sight seeing. The room was small but comfortable. We would definitely stay there again if we were in Charleston again.

Room Tip: We could hear road traffic early in the morning from our room on the third floor with windows to the...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
GMofEHI, Manager at Elliott House Inn, responded to this review, March 5, 2012
Thank you so much for choosing to spend such a big milestone with us. I am glad the staff was able to help with sightseeing suggestions. Charleston is a beautiful city to explore. Please keep us in mind on your next trip to Charleston!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Roswell, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

I recently had the pleasure of staying overnight at the beautiful Elliott House Inn in Charleston, SC. From the moment that I stepped through the gate, the famous “Southern Hospitality” was evident. Thanks to Grace, my check in was easy and the information she provided about parking, dining and accommodations was very helpful. My room was beautifully furnished and the classic rice bed was incredibly comfortable. I felt so pampered, especially with breakfast delivered on a silver platter!

Since the Inn is centrally located, I had my pick of some of Charleston’s best restaurants and was able to easily explore the shops and galleries and enjoy a walking tour of the beautiful South of Broad historic district. I returned to the Inn just in time to enjoy a beautiful wine and cheese reception in the courtyard. It was twilight and the courtyard glowed with its pink walls and white lights…delightful!

This is definitely the experience that I was hoping for while in one of America’s most charming cities!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
GMofEHI, Manager at Elliott House Inn, responded to this review, March 5, 2012
I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am happy you were able to tour and enjoy all the sights and restaurants the historic district has to offer. We are very lucky to have Grace apart of our team, too! Come back to see us soon!
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

We stayed here for the first time, after finding the Inn on line. The Elliott House Inn is very close to everything we wanted to see and do in the historic district. Neil was particularly helpful with local history "off the beaten path". The courtyard is peaceful, rooms spacious and updated while holding onto 19th century feel, and breakfast daily on a silver platter is a nice touch. Met a number of other guests in the courtyard during the wine and cheese hour. FYI: Parking in Charleston is generally difficult and street noises (garbage trucks, delivery trucks, etc.) are to be expected.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
GMofEHI, Manager at Elliott House Inn, responded to this review, March 5, 2012
Thanks for staying with us! Neal is awesome, he has great knowledge of Charleston, and everything it has to offer. I am glad to here you enjoyed your room as well as or beautiful courtyard during wine and cheese. We hope to see you next time you’re in Charleston!
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

The Elliott House Inn is a wonderful hotel to stay at. They have a great staff that is accomidating and the rooms are wonderful. I have to say that any questions that I had about making reservations to my favorite resturant or calling a cab to pick me, One person in particular, Grace, had all the answers. She really made my stay a wonderful experience and she was SO knowledgeable of everything that downtown charleston had to offer. Southern Hospitality is deffinatley present in theis wonderful place. Thanks again to The Elliotte House Inn staff and a special thanks to Grace!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
GMofEHI, Manager at Elliott House Inn, responded to this review, March 6, 2012
I appreciate you taking time to comment on your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay! We are lucky to have Grace apart of our front desk team. She is an absolute gem to have. Please come back and stay with us again, we’d love to have you back!!
beaufort, sc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

We visited the Elliott House Inn for the first time recently. Ashley and her staff made us feel so comfortable and welcome. The definition of Southern hospitality! Thanks to Grace for accommodating our request for an early check-in. We absolutely loved this place! Tucked away on Queen Street, the rooms are clean, comfortable and well maintained. We loved the garden courtyard and spa tub. So beautiful at night! Unfortunately, we missed breakfast, but we hear it's served to your room on silver...we can't wait to return. Oh, and we all know Charleston is home to many fabulous restaurants, but we were thrilled that 82 Queen, Husk and Poogan's Porch were neighbors to the Elliott House!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
GMofEHI, Manager at Elliott House Inn, responded to this review, March 5, 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us on your trip to Charleston! We are truly lucky to have such fabulous Restaurants close by. We do serve a silver service breakfast to your room, or you can also enjoy it in our courtyard. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to having you back in the near future.
Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2012

We visited the Elliott House Inn in December for a couple of nights as part of an escape to Charleston. My husband and I enjoyed all aspects of our stay, from the tastefully furnished rooms, to the charming courtyard, to the fantastic central location. Staff was courteous and helpful. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We enjoyed a room with a King bed.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
GMofEHI, Manager at Elliott House Inn, responded to this review, January 13, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words. Please come back and see us again soon, we’d love to have you back!
Athens, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

We were regular guests at the Elliott House before the renovation and I had high hopes for our stay in December, but, it was just not the same. Unfortunately, I feel like the Elliott House lost some of its charm during the renovations. It could have been our room, it was very plain - white walls, no antique lace canopy as I had remembered. Some other issues, the maids did not clean our room or make our bed during the day, which I thought was strange, we were there for three nights. They did come into our room because they consistently took away and replaced towels. I say took away because we had to call every night to request an additional towel. I saw a cockroach (not a "palmetto" bug, it was smaller) in our room. As I mentioned before, we stayed at the Elliott House consistently before the renovation for six years and I never saw a bug, so that was concerning. Breakfast was not great in comparison to other historic inns in the area, very minimal. The location of the Elliott House is fantastic, could not be more picturesque - Queen Street may be one of my favorite streets in Charleston. And you have Husk two doors down, which is a great addition to the Charleston food scene. For our next trip to Charleston, we most likely will return to the other historic inns, unfortunately, the Elliott House no longer owns my heart. :(

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for staying with us for your trip to Charleston. Unfortunately, the lace canopies have gone away in some of our guest rooms, not all. Some of my owners thought the space in the guest rooms would appear smaller with the lace canopy.
We are currently on a monthly pest prevention maintenance schedule at the inn. We out-source a company to come and treat our buildings. This is the first I’ve heard of a problem with pesky critters, but I’ve gone ahead and scheduled an additional service/treatment for January to ensure we don’t encounter this problem again.
I’m a little puzzled about the housekeeping issues you encountered. It is customary for our stay over guests to still have their room serviced each day. That involves making the bed; fresh towels and emptying the trash can of any debris. Although I’m not quite sure what happened, please know that I’ve addressed your concerns with our housekeeping team.
I would appreciate if you gave us another try. We’re a fantastic inn, with 90% of the same staff we had prior to the closing. I would love an opportunity to make this up to you.

Been to Elliott House Inn? Share your experiences!