“Consider the Value Compared to other hotels in area” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
15% OFF + FREE Champagne
Ranked #36 of 54 hotels in Charleston
easley, sc
“Consider the Value Compared to other hotels in area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

we were scared by some of the bad reviews before our visit, so we were apprehensive. Our room was fine, and the location on Queen Street is a good as it get's. We had a downstairs King Room, nicely furnished with good clean linens. Now the small area rugs in room are another matter, they were nasty and need replacing. Some complaints about noise, yes you have two very high visibility restaurants on each side, one being Husk which is getting national recognition backs right up to the Elliott House. The potential noise is a price you pay for where you are, and you need to realize it and accept this or find another hotel. Considering the value compared to other Charleston Hotels, I would stay again without hesitation.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
GMofEHI, Manager at Elliott House Inn, responded to this review, December 20, 2011
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed yourself. We take pride in our property and welcome guest’s comments and feedback on their stay. Our location is perfect to everything downtown and our continental breakfast, wine and cheese reception and complimentary bicycles can’t be beat! Please come back and visit us again in the near future. We’d love to have you!

227 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Kew Gardens, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

We stayed here for three nights and were very pleased in every respect. The place was charming and well-maintained. The room (standard Queen) was lovely, and while it was not large, it was more than large enough. The bed was very comfy. Continental breakfast was served promptly and it while it was not fancy it was perfectly acceptable, with the coffee in a lovely silver pot and the orange juice seemed to be freshly squeezed. There was a 24-hour hot tub in the courtyard. There was wine and cheese Friday evening. Everything was really perfect and more than met my expectations for the price, which came out to just over $100/night. The only complaint I would have is that our room overlooked Husk restaurant next door, and we couldn't get a table there, completely booked!!! But we managed to drown our sorrows in outrageous oyster stew and shrimp and grits at 82 Queen which was next to the Inn on the OTHER side. Perfect location, adorable and charming and clean and comfy. What else do you need?

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
I’m so glad to read you enjoyed your stay with us! Our charming queen rooms are romantic and quaint. For some of those guests looking for a larger room, I would recommend booking the king rooms. They are slightly larger than the queen rooms. While Husk is getting large notoriety right now, I’m equally impressed with 82 Queen too. For lazy slumber days, they even provide room service right at your door step. It can’t be beat! Come back and visit us again soon, we’d love to have you back again!!

“Consider the Value Compared to other hotels in area”
I appreciate you taking a leap and booking your stay with us. I’m pleased to read that we met your expectations. Yes, with our location in the heart of downtown noise can be a bit of concern, but our fantastic rooms and location help make up for that short fall.

Please come back and see us again. I’d love to meet you in person.
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

We had a great visit at this inn for our 10th Wedding Anniversary. The hotel is situated right in the heart of historic Charleston, but is on a side street, so you don't get all the chaotic traffic that some of the main strips get. The rooms were small, but well furnished. My only complaint about the rooms is that there were no irons/ ironing boards in them. You had to get them from the front desk, but there were only a few for the entire hotel. We had to push back dinner reservations because other people had them at the time.

The inn hosts a nightly wine and cheese reception in their awesome courtyard. The wine was not too shabby at all and was really a nice touch before we went out for dinner later that night. The courtyard is very picturesque and reminds me of some of the courtyards you see in hotels in Spain and Marseille.

This hotel is perfect for couples looking to get away but I would not recommend it for kids. The rooms are too small to set up a pack and play/ crib and there really isn't enough room for the kids to even run around (like most little ones like to do!).

All in all, the hotel had a lot to offer and did a fairly nice job with their remodel. I'm glad to see this place is still in business.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that isn't right on Queen Street. Ours overlooked Queen Street on the second floo...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Thank you so much for choosing The Elliott House Inn to celebrate your wedding anniversary. I really appreciate you commenting on your stay. I’m pleased that you enjoyed yourself. Our courtyard is one of the most beautiful “hidden” locations in all of downtown Charleston. It truly is a gem.

Please come back and visit again soon – don’t wait for another anniversary – come sooner!
Jupiter, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

Unless you enjoy FIRE ALARMS at 7am, paper thin walls, uncomfortable and dirty bedding, extremely bright lights coming through the windows resembling daylight 24/7, and very small room size (to the point you can barely move) among other issues... I would HIGHLY suggest finding a different hotel. I worked in the hospitality business for 8yrs, and I am never the one to complain. However, sometimes there are no excuses. On the first of our 4 night stay, the fire alarm went off at 7am. There were flashing LED lights and a siren going off directly above our bed. Needless to say, we were fast asleep from a long day of travel the day before and we jolted awake by the alarm. This happened not once but TWICE. The second time the alarm went off was the morning we were checking out. When I complained to the manager, she simply told me there was nothing she could do for me. I didn't get a single good night's sleep due to the very uncomfortable bedding and paper thin walls. All conversations from everyone outside coming/going/lounging could be heard perfectly clear. The room was unbelievably tiny. You open the door to a bed... and then there's a tiny bathroom about 2 feet away and that's your room. The sheets were old and stained (old and new stains) with mystery substances. I had to request new sheets. The location is the only positive attribute for this hotel. This was our first time to Charleston and needed a little bit of guidance. The front desk staff was practically useless. They didn't know much and when they made a suggestion, it was not a good one (as we later found out). The most disturbing thing out of the many issues I had, was that the manager did not care at all to help. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
I am so sorry that the fire alarms went off during your stay with. We have a brand new sprinkler system installed that is hyper sensitive. Hot steam from a shower can set it off without proper ventilation in the room. I’m sorry it awoke you from sleep.

I’m sorry that the room was smaller than your liking. Our owners have meticulously chose items and furniture for the rooms to accommodate the small areas. We’ve actually gotten several great comments from guests that agreed that the renovation and new room furnishings actually look and function well for the rooms.

Regarding your sheets, I’m sorry to read about them not being cleaned correctly. Please understand we don’t take this claim lightly. I’ve made employment decisions based on this particular issue. Cleanliness and safety are top priorities for us. We purchased brand new sheets, bedding and furniture in all rooms.

I’m happy to read that the staff of the inn was able to provide you with recommendations on the city. While I’m sorry to read that you did not like the recommendations provided to you, I understand that people have different opinions. What someone may love, another person may not like.

I am the manager and I like to help every single guest enjoy their stay. Had I had the opportunity to speak with you direct, I’m quite certain that I could have rectified all the issues you encountered. I encourage the author of this review to contact me. My goal would be to have you return again and show you true southern hospitality.
South Portland, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

We stayed 3 nights, Fri, Sat, Sun. 39th wedding anniversary.
The Charleston tourist site had a special for 129.00 a night, billed 159.00 upon check-out for fri and Sat. . Receptionist said I would get e-mail with correction today. Never came...
Upon entering our room, there was a coffee cup with coffee......? maid left behind?
On the surface, clean and attractive basic king room.
Bed very comfortable, iwas the very best thing of our stay. Walls were thin, we could hear the guy in the next room snoring. The fire alarms went off at 7am and we learned they were set off by the steam from the shower. Let me tell you that these alarms are not like the ones at home. Thought my heart was going to jump right out of my chest. So Loud !! We did not cause the steam issue, someone else did but every room's alarm went off.
2nd night got up to use bathroom, switched on the light to see 6-8 black bugs about 1/2 dime size scattering off the vanity top. Nearly scared me out of my wits! Left the light on the next two nights to keep them away.
The next day, our house keeper took away dishes and put in fresh towels, but never touched the bed! No kidding......and the bathroom was not wiped down. Maybe the bugs scared her away.
This inn had complimentary bikes. Tires were almost flat on one we were given. Doubt they get any kind of regular maintenance. Having the bikes did add to the enjoyable part of our stay,we used the bikes to ride around the quiet streets and parks on Sunday morning. So much fun!
The pictures on the web of the Elliott House Inn to make it look better than it is.
The Location is worth a lot. Convenient to everything.
The continental breakfast is nice and the cheese and wine @ 5pm ok.
My memory will be of bugs, alarms, comfortable bed, terrible room housekeeper, bike rides, being swindled out of $$, paid regular rates, did not get the "special" pricing I signed up for.
would not go back to this inn because of the misrepresentation.

Room Tip: Room # 17 has bugs who visit at night in the bathroom
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. Regarding the payment discrepancy of this guest, we actually refunded her the difference in cost and notified her via telephone about the charges being posted back to her account. I’m sorry for the billing error on our side; we took measures to correct it immediately.

I’m very sorry about the disturbance by the fire alarms. We have a brand new sprinkler system installed that is hyper sensitive. Hot steam from a shower can set it off without proper ventilation in the room. I’m sorry it awoke you from sleep.

Our housekeeping team is trained to make the beds of guests that require housekeeping services for stayovers. The exception to this rule is when a guest has valuables or personal items left on the bed, which in this particular case you did. I personally walked the room that day and made the judgment call not to tamper with guests personal items left on the bed. I’m sorry if the decision we chose was not what you had wanted. A simple call to the front desk upon your return to the room and we could have serviced the room again to your liking.

Regarding the bugs in your room, this is the first I’ve ever heard of any issues since we opened the inn in October. We are on a monthly pest prevention contract where every single unit is serviced each month. For this particular case, I went ahead and had them come service this room upon your departure. To date, I haven’t received any feedback from guests or employees of this being issue.

Our bicycles are one of the best features of the inn! It’s fantastic way to see the city. Our bicycles are less than three months old. Again, had this particular guest let us know that the tires needed air, we could have taken care of this before you set off on the city.

We welcome all of our guest’s feedback and comments regarding their stay with us. Had this particular guest let us know of their concerns prior to their departure, I’m quite certain that had we been given the opportunity to make things right for them, they would have truly enjoyed their stay with us.
Fayetteville, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

Decided to stay at the inn for Thanksgiving. Had received emails from Elliott House Inn which showed pictures of a very impressive renovation. Not sure where those pictures were taken...not in the 2 rooms we were in.....first one was musty, door lock was broken, minimal work had been done although it had a nice bathroom. The 2nd room smelled of paint fumes and the deadbolt could not be locked from the outside when leaving the room. Room temp was cold...never could regulate system to comfortable temp. Staff minimally friendly, did not want to accomodate problems. Had looked forward to staying here. Visit Charleston a lot...most definitely the worst place we have stayed.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
I’m sorry to read of your disappointing stay at Elliott House Inn. As you can read from some of the other comments our guests seem to really like our newly renovated rooms. I’m sorry to read that you do not agree. Our owners have put a lot of time and money into the inn to restore it back to perfection. We’d love to have you back again to show you just what a great place and staff that we have in place.
North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

Great location, clean room, but the strong light coming through the blinds and no blinds over the window above the door left me with a poor night's sleep! I woke up in a panic when I saw all the light coming through the windows and thought I may have overslept and missed my meeting, but it was only 5 am and the light was coming from the corridor light through the window and the street light through the wooden blinds. If they could add curtains that would help tremendously! This is located right near great restaurants and shopping, but it is in between two restaurants that tossed out their glass recycling around 1 am waking me up quite startled by the breaking glass. Keeping on the AC to drown out the noise is a must. I also noticed too that the bathroom does not have any countertop space but a small ledge place too high and items would roll off. Although it is pretty and very clean I will go back to the Meeting Street Inn (very similar) which is where I usually stay. I just thought I'd try something new this time but I left exhausted and won't be back to this hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
We appreciate you giving Elliott House Inn a try by staying with us. I’m very sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations. We are taking measures to cover the exposed windows above the guest room doors. We are researching several options to get his fixed as quickly as possible. I’ve been working closely with the General Manager of Husk to find the best way to cohesively be good neighbors. They are changing up some of the duties their employees are responsible for, by having them completed during daytime hours. We hope that with this change will have a direct impact on the evening noises. We understand that you have several hotels to choose from while visiting Charleston and appreciate your patronage.

Been to Elliott House Inn? Share your experiences!