“Barksdale Inn” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 43 Charleston B&B and Inns
Greenville, South Carolina
“Barksdale Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I just recently spent two days at the Barksdale Inn and I was very pleased with our room, which was #4 on the second floor in the main house. The staff was very helpful and friendly and the buffet breakfast was very nice. I love squeaky old floors, it lets me know there is age and history in this inn. Our room was very nice, clean and comfortable. The back porch is very nice to sit and eat breakfast. Coffee is readily available outside the rooms on each floor, which is a plus for me. Although I did not visit the carriage house on the other side of the parking lot, I suggest if you do not want to walk across the parking lot to get to the breakfast buffet in the main house, get one of the rooms in the main house. There is private parking for this inn behind the main house. All in all, it was a very nice inn, very convenient for walking to all the shops and restaurants.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The interior of this 18th century inn was well maintained, the staff was friendly and attentive and its location on George Street was outstanding. If you aren't used to older inns, the squeaky floors and noisy beds may be a turnoff. But for us, charm trumps modern advantages. Our room was small, but the weather was excellent so we spent time on the back porch and fountain area. Free parking was a bonus -- and we walked everywhere we wanted to go in the historical district. I would highly recommend this inn.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

We stayed at the Barksdale house inn for three nights and had an amazing experience. The inn is beautiful and very well maintained for a home built in the 1700's. The back porch and garden area complete with fountain is a great spot for enjoying there delicious breakfast or just to spend a quiet evening. The staff was amazing and took care of our every need they were very professional and let you have your privacy. I would definitely like to thank them again for a job well done. The location of the inn could not be better and is in walking distance to everything in the city. We parked the car when we got there and never used it again. All in all the barksdale house inn is the best bang for your buck in Charleston. We Will definitely be back!

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Alpharetta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Inn needs a good cleaning ( black mold on tile around the tub ) and fresh coat of paint. Shower head has to be replaced water only stream out of same, sink drains slowly. Internet doesn't work & television stuck on one channel. Breakfast was o.k., dining area small.

Room Tip: I would first stay at another hotel in town or book a little further out of town.
Arcadia, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed at the Barksdale House the week following Easter Sunday. I had always wanted to attend the Spring Festival of Houses and Gardens, and this year I finally got around to doing it. It was difficult to find accommodations, and the Barksdale was the only place left that I could afford.

I have to admit the check in experience was a bit underwhelming and made me wonder if I had made the right choice. There was nobody at the front desk and it took a while to find someone to attend to me. Once I did, though, the person was very friendly and escorted me personally to my room. At that point, I felt better about my decision to stay here.

I didn't stay in the main house but rather in the four room carriage house behind it. I was in room 12 of the carriage house, one of the upstairs rooms. By the way, there is no elevator on the property, something to keep in mind if you have mobility issues. Fortunately, it wasn't an issue for me.

The room itself was fairly small but an adequate size for me as a single traveler. I found the color of the walls to be very inviting. To these slightly color blind eyes, it appeared to be a dark yellow or mustard color. I also found the still life paintings on the wall to be quite attractive.

I suppose the carpet had perhaps seen better days, looking somewhat tattered, but I really enjoyed the four-poster queen-sized bed and the antique dresser and night stands. Some nice modern touches were the mini-fridge and flat screen TV, the latter offering a wide array of channels. There was a small sitting area with two chairs and a table with an ice bucket and drinking glasses.

The bathroom didn't have much counter space but there was a medicine chest where you could store things. The water pressure of the shower was excellent, a bit of a surprise to me given the age of the property. Obviously, the plumbing has been modernized over the years.

Closet space was adequate, though I would have liked more hangers, but I seem to have this problem just about everywhere I've stayed.

I cannot comment on the breakfast offered because I got an early start each morning, and, to be honest, I'm not much of a breakfast person anyway. It should be noted that there is a very pleasant patio area in back of the house with tables and chairs for those who do wish to partake of the breakfast.

Also, If you have a car, there is a small parking area in between the main house and the carriage house.

I need to put in a good word for the location. The Barksdale is located on George Street, in between the two main streets of King and Meeting. It is just far enough away from the main activity of the Historic District to be quiet and peaceful but also close enough that you can easily walk to any major site within the district that you would wish to see. You're also close to a number of terrific places to eat. I want to especially recommend Jestine's Kitchen, just a few minutes walk down Meeting Street. It's the only place where I ate twice. I had the sausage gumbo one day and the fried chicken the other. Both dinners were awesome. Make sure you go early, though, because the place is justifiably popular and gets crowded after about 5:30 pm.

Overall, I liked staying here. You do have to keep in mind that this is an older property and it lacks some of the modern amenities you may be used to at other places. However, I think the architectural charm of the house itself and some of the room features as well will win you over. I would definitely consider staying at the Barksdale again if I ever return to Charleston.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

From the lovely front entrance to the beautiful back porch, patio and fountain, Barksdale House is a beautiful period piece. Although we had the smallest (and only available) room, it was nicely furnished and cozy, not cramped. The weekend hot breakfast was wonderful and filled with local flavors from cheesy grits to corn bread. It was so relaxing to start the day with a breakfast on the back porch looking at the fountain in the yard.
With on-site parking, WiFi, and 'all the comforts of home', you can't go wrong. Most of the sites and attractions are within a pleasant, leisurely half hour walk. The market area and many fabulous restaurants are even closer.
This will definitely be our go-to place when visiting Charleston.

Room Tip: Book early, especially for weekends to insure a choice of room size and decor.
Daytona Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is my third visit to Charleston, stayed with a girflriend for one night. Our room was on the top floor and let me say, that is a lot of stairs. If you aren't very mobile it can be difficult (I have a one year old who insisted on walking the stairs). The staff are very accommodating and the afternoon tea they provided after our check-in was delicious.

The hot breakfast unfortunately was a little lacking. We arrived for breakfast just under an hour before it was due to finish but they were already out of a few things. The food was better than average but we were a little disappointed that we couldn't try some of the hot foods as they were all gone. However, this place is excellent value for money so overall was very pleased.

The parking is fantastic. They let us leave our car for two hours after check-out so we could explore Charleston some more before we left.

There are no highchairs here which made it a little difficult for us. I would definitely stay again but would recommend they invest in a highchair as most travelers wouldn't bring one.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with friends

Been to Barksdale House Inn? Share your experiences!