“Charming and romantic Inn, great value!!” 5 of 5 stars

Barksdale House Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   27 George St., Charleston, SC 29401   |
Ranked #22 of 43 Charleston B&B and Inns
Boston
“Charming and romantic Inn, great value!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My fiance and I just spent a night at this B&B and we were quite impressed. We arrived in Charleston early in the afternoon, and were allowed to park our car on the property until we returned for check-in a few hours later. The location was perfect because we were just a few blocks away from where the horse-drawn carriage tours leave, so that was the first thing we did to get an overview of the city. Afterwards we were able to walk around town, including the market, and then walk back to the Inn. We were greeted with enthusiasm and hospitality, cookies and yummy iced tea, which was perfect as it was hot and MUGGY that day. Our room was fantastic, #8 on the third floor. My only complaint would be that the lighting in the bathroom was very dim, making it difficult for any lady to do hair and put on make-up, but other than that the room was great. I even used the iron and ironing board in the closet, which heated up in seconds! By the time we returned late after dinner the Inn was quiet, which was nice and made for a restful sleep in a very comfortable bed. Breakfast the next morning was delicious, with hot coffee, blueberry pancakes and crispy bacon, oh and of course, grits. The check-out was a breeze. Overall, this Inn is an EXCELLENT value for the cost. Every other B&B I looked at was over $300 per night, where as this room was $160. If we go back to Charleston we would definitely stay here again, and I'm not easy to please ;)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Bangor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We were in Charleston for one night only, and this B&B was perfect. Rooms were large, clean, exactly what you need. Staff were lovely, couldn't do more for us. I'd have no hesitation at all in recommending the Barksdale House Inn. If im ever back in Charleston, this will be where I stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Milano
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

A visit to Charleston could not be done sleeping in a Motel , you need the atmosphere of an old fashioned house matching with the same atmosphere you live in the streets , museums, shops, ..... This House is affordable in price , strategical as position...large as rooms.. clean. The only less than romantic experience is a parking lot on your side..but we're in town not in Plantation House...
I'm forgetting a good breakfast..

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
cornelia, ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Stayed at the Barksdale House Inn in July. This is a 200 + year old house that serves as a bed and breakfast. The rooms were much larger than I anticipated. The two rooms on the first floor are very large with king size beds and their own bathrooms with large tubs. I was surprised that even though we were not the only people staying in the main house, it was very quit at night. Breakfast is complimentary, which was great for us because we started out early each day. This house is located on a quiet street-across the street is the KIng George Inn. The house itself is furnished with antiques, most of which are not original to the home. There is free parking in the rear for guests, which is nice because you really don't even need a vehicle in Charleston. We parked our car and never got in again until time to go home. The Barksdale is located in the historic section, adjacent to meeting street. Just a block up from the Inn are lots of shopping spots and restaurants. Great place to stay if you want to be in the center of everything. Also, check out the photos in the parlor of the house before and after reconstruction-very interesting read!

Room Tip: All rooms are nice, if you want to stay in the main house I recommend one on the main floor because...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Good location for shops and restaurants.A 15 mins walk to the Battery(historic district).Breakfast good.Some staff friendlier than others.Biggest downfall was lack of attention to detail,could be so much more attractive,with little touches such as comfortable chairs in room,courtyard needs makeover.Cleaning of room was dubious,especially bathroom,e.g black mould in sink overflow,sticky side tables,dirt on skirting boards,floors not cleaned,cushions filthy.This is a lovely house so why not present it to its best potential?

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Pentwater, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Barksdale House met my criteria: historic district location, with free on-site parking, room rate under $200. The room, #4, is nicely decorated, though small, and as others have noted, there isn't much in the way of seating, inside or out. However, the wooden settee and chairs tucked away on a balcony between the second and third floors was a pleasant spot to read in the afternoon. As a reasonably priced place to shower and sleep, within walking distance of the harbor, it was perfect.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
moore ok
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

The good: great location - close to everything. Parking on site - awesome. Breakfast - very tasty. Room was very nice - loved that you had to use a little step to get up onto the king size bed. The not so good: when we arrived the person at the desk did not greet us. When I asked if she worked there she said she did - but not in a friendly way at all. I made a reservation online for three - and stated that it would be myself and my 2 grown sons. When the lady showed us the room I inquired as to where the third person would sleep - there was only a king sized bed. She told me the room was exactly what I reserved online - again, not in a friendly way at all. Well - i requested a room for 3 people and my request for a reservation for 3 people was accepted. My bill for 2 nights was about $480. I would think for that much money, the staff would be nice to you and there would be a place for everyone to sleep. The lady grudgingly told me she guessed she could bring in a blow up bed - which she did. We only had two towels. The next day when we asked for another one, we were told there were no more left. And the blow up bed was far more comfortable than the king sized bed. To be fair, the other staff members who worked during our stay were much nicer. I just felt that for the price, there should have been more attention to detail and all members of the staff should have been pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Barksdale House Inn? Share your experiences!