“The worst Room ever” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 43 Charleston B&B and Inns
Dix Hills, New York
“The worst Room ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

My wife and I stay at B & B's all the time when we travel. This inn was by far the dirtiest place EVER!!! The room, # 12, in the carriage house had dust at least 1/2" thick on the dresser. The walls were scuffed, the rugs stained and the bathroom floor had half the (pink) tiles cracked. The toilet seat was broken, The closet was so disgusting I can't even describe it. The main house was not much better. The "breakfast" room was shared with the inn keeper and her computer. The nice orential rug had some god awful black stain on it. The tables were covered with plastic table clothes, give me a break how tacky....ok so on the only good side the place had free parking and was close enough to walk wherever you need to go..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
BarksdaleGM, General Manager at Barksdale House Inn, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
I think this website is a valuable tool for potential guests to read about previous guests' experiences, however, the challenge is when a review is misleading. These guests booked 2 nights with us, checked-in, stayed their booked 2 nights, and did not check-out. I contacted them to find out if we made a mistake with their reservation. They came to me saying that their reservation was for 3 nights and I told them that if we made a mistake on their reservation then I would do everything I could to make it right. Then they became so distraught over the condition of their room, saying it was the worst room ever, that there was dust everywhere, stains on the carpet, etc., but they insisted that their reservation was for 3 nights. Never did they come to me in the previous 2 days informing me of their dissatisfaction; how can one correct a problem if it is not brought to my attention?

They checked their confirmation and found out they did book it for 1 night too short. I told them I would be happy to help them find another room in another location if they were so unhappy with my room or I could let them see another room if they wanted to stay with us 1 more night. I showed them another room (one of the best ones on my property) and they decided to stay to take it. They said the "new" room was 10 times better than their original room. Due to their dissatisfaction with their original room, I upgraded them to this room at no additional cost which was reducing the price of this new room by $100. They told me how wonderful my staff was, how friendly we were, and commented that our location could not be beat. They checked-out the next morning saying how pleased they were with the new room.

I find this review misleading because it does not detail the entire event. It does not let others know that they chose to stay with us for a total of 3 nights which 1 of those nights was in additional to their originally booked 2 nights. For me, if I am so unhappy with something, I leave. I do not choose to add nights to my stay. Additionally, I inspected their original room after they switched rooms. There are no stains on the carpet. There was no dust on the dresser (yes, there was dust behind the dresser, that the guest would have had to move the dresser to see – I agree there is no excuse but I do not know of many places that if you pull the furniture away from the walls there will not be any dust visible). Not sure what they are referring to regarding the closet being disgusting other than scuff marks from luggage on the walls – which has been corrected since their review.

I welcome all suggestions, comments, and concerns from my guests. I do not want to have anyone feel as if we are unresponsive to their needs or concerns, but it helps if they are communicated to me before they check-out.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Yorktown, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I loved this B&B because it's within walking distance to most everything in the historic district and just a few minutes drive to the Citadel where my son is attending. The rooms were very comfortable and all of the furnishings and decor was beautiful and pleasing to look at. If you have things to do early in the morning, the breakfast was served at 7:30am the first morning we were there, and it was a little late coming out. We were able to wait for it, and still get to where we needed to be, but I would just recommend letting them know if you are pressed for time, it was well worth it. We could smell the aroma coming up the stairs as we were getting ready to go out for the day. The staff was very friendly and at one point, one of the girls asked me if I needed any recommendations for restaurants or things to do. She suggested a couple restaurants and was very helpful. I definitely look forward to staying there again. To explain the ratings below for the kids activities and fitness center, there are no fitness facilites or children's activities at this property, it just isn't offered and people shouldn't expect that at a B&B.

Room Tip: I only booked a room for 2 originally, but they were able to accommodate me when I called to say I n...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

beautiful little inn in the heart of charleston. we only stayed one night, but it was fantastic. third floor is quiet and quaint. free parking. friendly staff. walk to everything! highly recommend and will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: third floor was quiet
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Raynham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I had read reviews of this property (mostly good but 3 bad), so I e-mailed and got a reply saying there were many more good reviews than bad and that should speak for itself!! And it did!! The location of the inn was great-easy walking distance to many places and very quiet at the same time. The room was well decorated and very clean, as was the bathroom. Also, very nice toiletries were supplied. The breakfast was more than adequate and very nicely displayed. I am very glad we chose this property and would stay here again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: We stayed upstairs in the carriage house/slave quarters and it was quiet and peaceful.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The location of the Inn, free parking, and Wi-Fi are definite perks. It is located next to the College of Charleston, Marion Square and King Street - all within walking distance of the Inn. Plus, there were some great restaurants and shopping, too.
The housekeeping crew was great. Continental breakfast served daily was even more than I expected. I especially enjoyed the fresh fruit and yogurt.

Room Tip: Make sure you check out the pictures of each room (14). Room 9 has two queen size beds while other...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

We recently stayed in the Carriage House at the Barksdale House Inn and loved it! The bed was very comfortable, the location of the Inn is great - in the center of town, so we were able to walk to everything that we wanted to do. There were wonderful restaurants within walking distance. When you came back at night you had a key to the front door, so it was like returning home after being out for the day. The only thing I didn't like was the Eucalyptus soap, because I can't stand the smell of eucalyptus, but a minor point. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Goose Creek, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We had a great room, and staff so friendly and breakfast Great. Close to shopping and dining!

We will definately go back and stay here again in the future. Free parking was a nice plus and they had ample parking spaces for the inn.

Rgarrett77

Room Tip: Rooms good and clean.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Barksdale House Inn? Share your experiences!