“Absolutely fantastic experience - will return!” 5 of 5 stars

Barksdale House Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   27 George St., Charleston, SC 29401   |
Ranked #22 of 43 Charleston B&B and Inns
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Absolutely fantastic experience - will return!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Barksdale House Inn for two nights before embarking on a cruise out of Charleston. The B&B was arranged by my boyfriend (and was a complete surprise to me!) but I couldn't have been more delighted. What a lovely place, with a very kind staff. We will absolutely stay with them again the next time we visit Charleston!

Location - Proximity to downtown was great. Just a few blocks to get anywhere in the "touristy" part of Charleston, and only a 15 or so minute walk to the cruise departure port. Plenty of good restaurants around (try the sushi place a few blocks away for dinner and the patet place for a quick lunch!). The inn has been built up around so there isn't any view, but I get the impression that's generally the case if you're staying in the downtown area. Parking was very easy, and free.

Room - We stayed in the carriage house behind the inn proper, in the first level corner room. Very cute. Big comfy four poster bed, nice shower/bathroom, and a nice little sitting area. Nothing super duper fancy, but if that's what you're looking for, you probably aren't looking for a B&B in the first place!

Service - This is where the Inn really won us over. They worked with my boyfriend and had a bottle of wine, wine glasses, and fresh flowers waiting for us when we walked in the door. Breakfast can be delivered to your room or eaten in the main house... we chose to eat in the house both days. Sunday had lots of fresh fruit, pastries, cereal, breads/bagels/waffles, and coffee/tea/OJ, and then also had eggs, bacon, and a potato dish. Monday morning had everything minus the hot dishes. As much as you wanted, and it was available till 10, so plenty of time for us to sleep in and still make breakfast! They also had an ice machine in the kitchen we were welcome to use. There were a few other small things, but really, the demeanor of the staff was just lovely the whole time we stayed. Always helpful and extremely accommodating.

Overall - 5 stars! Can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
BarksdaleGM, General Manager at Barksdale House Inn, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Your review is absolutely fantastic. I thank you for taking the time to be so detailed. It is clear that you throughly enjoyed your stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Oak Island, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Reserved on line the week before Christmas. It's an aging structure with a separate building at the far end of their parking lot (where we stayed) bordering a questionable neighborhood. The room was good size but desparately needing up date. The mattress was lumpy..no fridge, one small 15" analog TV placed high on a wardrobe with missing knobs at the far end of the room, placed upon a stack of old telephone books. Breakfast seating was in the main building with seating at tiny tables in the hallway leading from the main door to the rear of the house. The food, tho meager, was passable. Continual noise from the parking lot from people attending a nearby basketball game using the establishments parking to avoid the pay-parking next door (more noise!) All in all, not up to the southern standardss of B&B's we're used to!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
It is clear that our property did not meet all of your expectations. I am a little unclear as to why you felt we are located in a questionable area. We are on George Street, which is in the heart of the Historic District. Possibly, it is due to the fact that we are in a commercial/residential area, so the back side of the neighboring buildings are visible from our parking lot which is typical for most cities.

Our Inn is a restored historic house built c. 1778 and most of our furniture are antiques that do show their age. Many of our guests feel like it adds to our charm. We intentionally have smaller televisions, since our guests spend their time out exploring Charleston. However, we are in the process of changing all of our televisions to flat panels. Our tables are designed to give a little privacy instead of being forced to sit at a community table, which we have found to be more comfortable in the environment of a small Inn.

Our property is located on the College of Charleston campus across from the athletics arena. With our proximity to the arena, there is noise when the games release, however, it is for 15-20 minutes while the patrons disperse. We are huge supporters of CofC, especially, their athletics department and maintain a wonderful relationship. In fact many of our guests are parents of players and/or former students who stay with us when there are home games.

I appreciate you taking the time to give your opinion; it allows me the opportunity to address any issues. I apologize that you were not comfortable at our Inn.
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

Where I do I even begin. My husband I wanted a get away for New Years and decided on Charleston a week in a advance so finding a place to stay was a bit challenging. I ended up stumbling upon the Barksdale House Inn for the New Years Eve and let me tell you the moment we pulled in we were impressed. We were greeted by Pam who gave us a tour of the property and showed us to our room, which was room 12. It was comfortable and clean, we enjoyed a wonderful evening of rest there. Breakfast was just perfect, Pam went out of her way to ensure that we had exactly what we wanted. We will definitely be returning to this property and spread the word that this is truly a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
We strive to exceed every guests expectations and it sound like we achieved that goal with you. We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review regarding your stay. I hope you had a fantastic NYE!
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

Fiancee and I wanted to get away for a couple of days after Christmas so we decided to head down to Charleston for a couple of days.

Had originally booked a chain hotel until I came across this place - looked nice so I booked it and cancelled at the chain - best decision I ever made!

Reserved room 11 in the Carriage House and arrived a little early on 12/28 Room wasn't ready so we headed up to the Hominy Grill for a late lunch (we highly recommend it!) and a little sightseeing - this wasn't our first time in Charleston so we actually spent the next few hours shopping on King Street.

Returned around 5:30 and Morgan registered us - very easy check in. Morgan was very pleasant and answered all of our questions without hesitation - even got a few PB cookies, lol! The inn was still decorated for the holidays and added to the ambiance

The room was very nice - hardwood floors, four poster bed and plenty of antique furniture. The only downside we noticed were a few dust bunnies and what appeared to be some mold on the shower tile grout. Otherwise the room was beautiful and what we expected in our first stay in a historic inn/B&B. Dinner was at 82 Queen - a 15 minute walk like Morgan said and another highly recommended restaurant. Slept very well - rooms were quieter than we expected and extra pillows found in the armoire.

Had requested breakfast be brought to us and it arrived on a silver platter a couple of minutes before our reqauested time. Then off to Boone Plantation and the Battery. More shopping on King St and then to Pearlz Oyster Bar for dinner.

All in all, it was an extremely pleasant stay. The location could NOT be beat - literally footsteps to King Street! Yes, the views out of the window were of the CoC's fitness center and a parking lot but that was not the Inn's fault and we felt safe in our rooms and walking the streets even late at night. Free access to the kitchen and all its amenities was very nice.

Check out was even easier than the check in and we agreed that we will be back!!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Wow, what a great review. I am thrilled that you clearly enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you will come back to visit in the not too distant future!
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

Our room was large and clean. It looked across the adjoining carpark, little did we know as it started to fill up there was a basketball game scheduled for that night. As it was a late game, the noise after the game kept us awake until late. People were shouting and yahooing along the street and in the carpark. I think some guests at the bed and breakfast attended the game as well as we heard them come home too. The noise factor was the only negative factor of our stay. Breakfast was really nice, lovely fresh fruit was a welcome inclusion. Free parking and close to all this great town has to offer.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
BarksdaleGM, General Manager at Barksdale House Inn, responded to this review, December 30, 2011
I am very sorry that you were uncomfortable with the proximity to the College of Charleston's Basketball Arena when the ball game let out. We very rarely have a late game, so this usually is not an issue. I hope that the rest of your stay was enjoyable.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

Very nice place to stay when visiting Charleston. The location doesn't get any better. Right in the heart of town, yet on a nice side street so it's quiet. Great rooms and friendly staff. If you don't like bigger hotels, this place is perfect.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you have a fantastic time while visiting Charleston!
Reston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

The family (husband, wife, 2 teen girls) stayed here for one night in late July, taking a break from driving home. My daughters and I had also stayed here a few years before and wanted to come back because we enjoyed it so much the first time. The whole house is decorated in antique furniture, including the lighting, so it can be a little dark in the room and the bathroom. The bathroom was a little cramped, but it is an old house. We stayed in an upstairs room with 2 queen beds and were quite comfortable. It's not quite like "the hotel in The Shining" like my daughters said, but after the ghost tour we went on, I could see their point.

The owners/staff were very nice. You have use of the refrigerator in the kitchen if you need it. You are only a few blocks from all the shopping, restaurants, tours and the University. Try the falafel place on George Street (left when leaving the house). The breakfast was very good.

I will be staying here next time I visit Charleston.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
BarksdaleGM, General Manager at Barksdale House Inn, responded to this review, December 6, 2011
Sounds like we made a loyal guest! I thank you very much for taking the time to write such a nice review for us. Hope to see you again in the near future!

Been to Barksdale House Inn? Share your experiences!