“fantastic place” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #30 of 758 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Family Fare
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Dining on a budget
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“fantastic place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

everyone was great, friendly and "on the ball" Coffee was always being refilled. conversation with the staff was very helpful, giving us great ideas of what to see and directions as to where to go. food and coffee were very good. This is where we ate EVERY breakfast.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Greer, South Carolina
“Family Favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I have reviewed this restaurant in the past, but have visited at least a half-dozen times since so I feel I short re-review is acceptable.

I just have to say that since my previous review, I have introduced family and friends to breakfast here and have made some true believers.

This is now a must visit spot on our Charleston road map. On my short visit to Charleston last week with my family from up North, a visit to Toast was once again a much anticipated event. After introducing my sister to this restaurant a few years ago, she was insistent on returning before returning to Spartanburg from Charleston last Thursday.

I suggested we try a new breakfast place this time (though I love Toast, I have been there enough times that I felt trying something new wouldn't hurt) but the family was not having that. So Toast it was!

The service and food were excellent as usual and we were fortunate this time to not have to wait for a table (even though we had a rather large group). The server seemed a bit new, but he did a fine job and we made things a bit easy on him since most of our party ordered the Eggs Meeting Street. As far as I'm concerned, there is no need for a menu. I was taken with this restaurant because of that menu item (though I have tried the stuffed french toast and will say that this is pretty amazing too). I always order the same thing and it is always delicious. It's unique: a crab cake, a fried green tomato, a poached egg on top and a remoulade sauce over it all.

Most or all of their dishes are served with a choice of home fries or grits and a biscuit. In other places in the South, I've heard a biscuit like this referred to as a "cat-head" biscuit due to being the size of a cat's head. Though not referred to as such, theirs are definitely "cat-head" biscuits. For the hungry traveler like myself, I definitely recommend ordering a side of their sausage gravy to turn this into some biscuits and gravy for a small up-charge.

Located right in the heart of downtown Charleston, this place is a gem. It's a must visit. The food will speak for itself. As typical breakfast goes, it's not cheap but I would say that it's worth every penny. This is not your typical eggs and pancakes breakfast nook. Factor the quality in with the location and you will see it as a great value.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Casual lunch at its best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Simple food, nice environment, more than reasonably priced. Great location and our waitress, Bright, made our day. Will come back for sure.

Kansas City, Kansas
“"Toast" June 2014”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

GREAT little restaurant, easy to find and good food. After a day of walking and sightseeing we were looking for a place to get something to eat and drink and took a chance on Toast. Wow are we glad we did. The best meatloaf my wife and I have ever tasted and the Tea basted chicken was also good. We recommend the sangria to drink and by all means ask for Sierra. Sierra is a breath of fresh air and very, very attentive with a great sense of humor. We will be back!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“One of the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I'm going to start out by saying that this was one of the best restaurants I've ever been too! It was yet another tripadvisor find, and as usual I was not disappointed. We got there and our waitress greeted us with so much enthusiasm I almost flew out the window, she told us the drink choices and provided us with some of her personal favorites, including the fried green tomato BLT. I got the FGTBLT, and it was the best thing I've ever had. The service was fantastic, the location (Near king street shopping district) was very nice, and the food was high class but cheap! Did I mentions cheap? For such amazing food I was so surprised it was so affordable! I don't live in Charleston, but if I did I know where i'd eat!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere