“Beautiful” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 96 Attractions in Charleston
Type: Historic Sites, Gardens, Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: Home of the oldest garden in America.
9 attraction reviews
“Beautiful”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I entered review under magnolia. Plantation with charleston tours. Alice was great tour guide. A lot of walking. Kids would enjoy nature tram.

Visited July 2014

Felton, Pennsylvania
“Beautiful glimpse into American plantations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We booked our tour at tourist information in Charleston. Our guide was really well informed. She was excited to share her knowledge about the gardens, curiosities, and fmailies who have called this beautiful real estate home.
The docent at the plantation house was very knowledgable. She was inviting and never rushed you throught the house.
Overall, I would highly reccomend a visit to Magnolia Plantation. The guided tour was great but, I would have liked to have been able to spend more time on the grounds.

Visited October 2013
Lexington, Kentucky
11 attraction reviews
“Decent but little pricey for what you get”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

It's an interesting historical place and quite beautiful. But, I find the price a little steep for what you get...and the only reason I can't give it 5 stars.

Visited August 2013
Coquitlam, Canada
76 attraction reviews
“Go there for the grounds! :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

The plantation house itself was an average one and didn't actually look quite like an impressive, imposing antebellum plantation house like Shirley Plantation house that I've been to in Virginia, for example. But, the grounds were ABSOLUTELY phenomenal! After coming through an entry lane lined with oak trees on both sides, there was a big green-grassed area in front of the main house with ponys and peacocks wandering in it and beautiful yellow flowers and there was a nice rest area with a restaurant there as well. The REAL beauty of the place, though, was at the back and left side of the house (facing the house) with flower gardens, quaint and charming bridges, statues, and there was also a big wooden boat there that had carried rice bags up or down the Ashley River back in the days since Magnolia in those days was a rice plantation. And, what's totally worth doing while you're there is their "nature train" that will take you to the Audubon swamp area just a little further from the house where you'll see alligators (some resting on the ramps!), blue herons, etc. Also saw along the way on the train were slave cabins (little neat one-storey ones) and ancient oak trees (ancient as in 500 or a thousand years old!). There's also a boat tour which I can't comment on since I didn't do it, but it sure must be nice being on the Ashley River on that boat since the view of the river from the banks where the plantation is was quite beautiful and peaceful :).

I went there on a tour bus (Charleston Finest Historic Tours was the one I used, I'm sure there are others too) from Charleston Visitors Center on Meeting St. in downtown Charleston. Was a great tour, $50 was totally worth it with the to/from transportation (cabs in Charleston I found them pretty expensive!), admission and also the nature train included, and above all an outstanding driver/tour guide, thank you Charleston Finest and also the train driver who narrated the swamp :).

Visited October 2013
michigan
34 attraction reviews
“Magnolia Plantation Garden Tour and Swamp Tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We visited Magnolia plantation to see the gardens and the swamp. They were located about half an hour from our hotel and really easy to find.

We had mixed reviews on our visit. The petting zoo was not good. My husband about knocked himself out by hitting his head on the snake cage roof. He was bleeding profusely for a while there and the staff was pretty oblivious. Because we had already paid he wanted to stay and walk the gardens I had wanted to see. He is a tough sweetheart!

The gardens were beautiful but not well marked. The map we were given did not have markings on the trail. So we pretty much wandered to see what was around the next bend. You were not lost, you just had no idea where you were going to end up. The flowers were pretty and I would love to visit in early spring.

We also purchased the swamp tour, this is something I would skip next time. I thought we would see more wildlife but basically were dodging bikers on the trail. So I would save my money and skip the swamp. We saw 1 bigger gator, birds and a couple of turtles.

So all in all I am not sure I would visit again. The flowers were pretty but it would have to be early spring before I would come back again. Some path markers would go a long way to helping the garden experience.

Visited May 2014