“Magnificent plantation experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 96 Attractions in Charleston
Type: Historic Sites, Gardens, Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: Home of the oldest garden in America.
Chattanooga, Tennessee
17 attraction reviews
“Magnificent plantation experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Overall, this is my best plantation experience. The tour guide for the home was very knowledgeable and patiently explained everything. The home was rebuilt and hence history is not preserved as in other plantations. The whole property is well maintained. The gardens are huge. One could spend a few hours just in the gardens. There are some excellent photo spots. The gift shop has a variety of interesting gifts. The highlight was the visit to slave cabins. Jenny explained everything so well, and we were all impressed. She also suggested books for me to read, which I promptly purchased when I got home. They say Charles Kuralt loved this place. I can see why. Highly recommended.

Detroit
52 attraction reviews
“Expensive Visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My wife and I visited here in mid December. It is a wonderful place to wander around, but we were disappointed by the prices - $15 gets you into the place, then everything else (house tour, slave cabin tour, tram ride) is extra - usually $8 each. You would think one of the tours would be included with the general admission. We paid extra for the house tour - our young guide was very informative and easy to talk with as we were the only ones on the tour. He even went outside with us afterwards to point out a few interesting things. We also watched a video, visited the petting zoo, walked the gardens and paths down the river to the observation tower, and met Sylvester the friendly cat - a stray who wandered in years ago and now thinks he owns the place.
We did enjoy the morning and it is a neat place with some history, but again the price seems high. The lady at the admissions was very friendly and helpful. She told us about a birdwatching tour we could come back and take so we returned two days later at 8 a.m. for the tour - but nobody showed up, so we wandered around the property for awhile and then left.

Jackson, Wisconsin
13 attraction reviews
“A Dissapointment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

With the holidays in full swing we were in Charleston between Christmas and New Years so I was hoping and expecting to see the plantation house and the bridges as I had seen in pictures decked out, but that was not to be the case. There were a few poinsettias in the home, but not a single green or bough on the home or the bridges. Yes, were are aware that this is not the most impressive time for the flowers, but really it was unimpressive at best. Yes, the grounds are gorgeous in their enormity and you can walk for miles, but you won't get to see the beauty in December. The slave cabins are interesting, but the tour isn't really worth it--you see one one room cabin with a fireplace you've seen them all. I would recommend this in the srping/summer/fall, but in the winter it's a waste.

9 attraction reviews
“A bit dated, but charming house.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

The Magnolia gardens is one of the oldest plantations in the Charleston area. As all plantations in the lowcountry, it's an interesting part of the American history, and you should definitely visit at least one of these sights if you're planning a trip to Charleston. I do however feel that there are other plantations that give a better historical insight than the Magnolia gardens. The tours feel a bit dated and the gardens were quite a disappointment. They weren't that well kept, but having that said, I don't know if that might have had something to do with the season. (I did expect more blossoming gardens in late April though.) Considering the alligator tour and the small zoo I think the Magnolia suits families with young children more than anyone with a genuine interest in history.

Visited April 2012
Dundas, Canada
15 attraction reviews
“Great outdoor activities for active boys”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This was a great day at a plantation. It is well curated, beautiful and a great place for 7 year old boys. We were here for hours. We saw the slave cabins, the nature tram, the gardens and the house. The house is a disappointment if you are looking for an antebellum plantation house, but the original house was burned in the civil war. The house that replaced it is interested and has an interesting story. Since we knew what to expect, we weren't disappointed and the property was everything we hoped for. It was beautiful and it was great to spend time outside on the plantation. We saw alligators, turtles and a variety of birds. The presentation on the slave cabins was thought provoking and respectful. It was a good opportunity for discussion with our children. I would recommend this for anyone wishing to spend time outdoors looking at a plantation. The food in the restaurant was unremarkable but we were glad to be able to get lunch onsite. They have great picnic tables and I believe you could probably bring a lunch with you.