“Very Conventient to the Historic District / Very Reasonably Priced” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Charleston - Days Inn Historic District

Save Saved
You added Charleston - Days Inn Historic District to your Saves list
Charleston - Days Inn Historic District
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   155 Meeting Street, Charleston, SC 29401   |
Ranked #48 of 54 hotels in Charleston
“Very Conventient to the Historic District / Very Reasonably Priced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

I was overall happy with my stay but Days Inn need some serious remodeling: Television, Micowave, Bedspreads, Etc very outdated Fridge stop working call for maintenance to come check it out I could have did a better job myself and I don't know a thing about fixing a Fridge had to trash the food we had meat went bad did get reimbursed some money back but I wanted my food, Parking was very bad couldnt move my car cause we wouldnt have anywhere to park when we cane back staff was very nice

• Stayed March 2013

934 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Stamford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

You usually pay for what you get, and I felt this was overpriced for the condition of the hotel and the rooms. There was little parking available anywhere in their lot during our stay. At check in, our room looked like the carpet hadn't been vacuumed, the sink drain didn't work and the shower knobs were coming out of the wall so the pipes were exposed. I mentioned this to the desk staff and later that day, these complaints were addressed, but the pipes were still exposed. At least they worked and there was hot water. The bathroom tile and sinks are in need of an update and the rusty safe deposit box in the room was a relic with a key instead of digital. That said, the staff was pleasant and helpful. I felt this was a pricey hotel for the state it's in, but it was convenient to the downtown and there is something to be said for that. You will need to decide if it's convenience or quality you want.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Slingerlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The hotel is very conveniently located in the historic district and was a good value for the nightly fee.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Wilmington, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We were just in Charleston for two nights, and stayed at the Days Inn Charleston Historic District. We chose the hotel based on the location and pet friendliness. There were other hotels in the area that were also pet friendly, but we liked how close the hotel was to the market and the battery.

Upon check-in, we realized we made a big mistake. They checked us into a room, and it was downright disgusting. It was a smoking room (required since we had a dog), but it was as if they had never cleaned it. It smelled awful (and I have been a smoker). But, fine, it's the price we pay for wanting to bring our dog. What I can't forgive is the physical condition of the room. Large gaps between walls and carpet with concrete showing in places. Sometimes you couldn't see the concrete due to all the dirt that was in that crevice. In some spots, there were regular staples trying to hold the carpet in place. The bathroom was falling apart. The ceiling was black in some places, with large cracks in the walls near the joints. The tiles were dirty and very old. The walls in the bedroom, wow, looked like someone poked holes in them then went over it with some cheap paint. The sink area was in bad shape as well. The cabinet looked to be 20+ years old, and had overspray of multiple colors from the different times they had painted the room.

Upon this initial impression fo the room, I went over to the office to talk to the employees, and they were very helpful. Greg & Freddy were very nice about it, and they offered to move us to a different room. The second room was still dated and in need of some repair, but it was liveable for a couple days. I commend these two guys for their help, and they are the only reason I am not rating this property as "terrible".

Yes, I realize this is in historic Charleston, and the buildings are old. BUT, there is a big difference between rustic and RUSTY. I've travelled to New Orleans several times, which is a similarly old city. The older buildings there are updated and well-maintained.

I realize this is a Days Inn and not the Embassy Suites, but for the price they are charging, it's in VERY bad shape. We paid almost $500 for the weekend. For those prices they can update the rooms with no problem. If this is a franchise, Days Inn corporate needs to visit the site and pull the franchise. If it's corporate owned, they need to take better care of their properties. An old building is no excuse for crappy rooms, unless you are only charging $50-$100/night. If I had only paid that, it wouldn't be an issue.

My recommendation is to stay away. You can stay at a number of other pet-friendly locations in town, and be much happier.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 2nd floor. Much cleaner, and slightly updated (in the past 10 years at least...