First, the good news: The Doubletree is well-located, which is the reason I selected it and it allows an easy navigation around the area. It's strength is its staff -- everyone was pleasant and very welcoming. The public areas were well-kept.
When I first saw my room, billed as "Deluxe, King" I was dismayed. In the room photos on the website, understand that where they show you the view of the bed, the photographer was literally standing against the wall to take the shot. The room size is about what I recall from the 1960's city hotels -- small and relatively cramped. There was a "sitting room" immediately inside the room door which is about the size of a large walk-in closet. The TV in that room didn't function. The bathroom is your typical shower/bathtub combo and about the size of any bathroom in a lower class motel. In my opinion, Doubletree needs to seriously renovate by taking 3 rooms and making them into 2 rooms -- each room should be at least half again larger.
We were out of the room from 7:00 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. In 8 1/2 hours, the maid service didn't manage to clean the room. The front desk finally sent someone when we requested a box of tissues.
This is a limited value, even at a so-called internet non-refundable, non-changeable price. Wi-Fi is offered nearly everywhere for free nowadays; not so at Doubletree. The same goes for breakfast -- I was very surprised that a breakfast "buffet" that was inferior to what some cheaper chains provide for free cost $29.90 for two, a fact that the dining room staff didn't mention before we sat down. Parking for 2 nights was an add-on, too. Frankly, you should hear a cash register in the background because Doubletree is tacking on charges for just about everything.
If I hadn't booked at the internet nonrefundable rates, I would have checked out and moved to one of the many other, far nicer hotels in the immediate area. The "special" rate isn't all that special when you add in all of the specialty charges that I just mentioned. It is far better to simply book a more expensive (to start) hotel with no add-in charges. Doubletree and Hilton should be ashamed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located overlooking the Charleston City Market in the heart of Charleston's Historic District, DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites offers the perfect combination of incredible location, guest room size, Southern hospitality, and amenities. DoubleTree Charleston Historic District is surrounded by award-winning restaurants, including Hank's Seafood and Brasserie Gigi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Hilton Hotels, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel and Suites Charleston - Historic District reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree Hotel Charleston
- Doubletree Historic District