“Really nice view of the water; not close to downtown” 3 of 5 stars

Free Parking
Ranked #40 of 55 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Lakewood, Ohio
“Really nice view of the water; not close to downtown”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My husband took me here for my birthday weekend, and the views of the bay are stunning! Our balcony overlooking the bay allowed us to relax and enjoy the view. However, this was our first time to Charleston, and the downtown area was not close by...we needed to take a taxi (about $10 each way).

The rooms are very comfortable and seem updated. The bar was only open for a small period of time, it seemed, so we went next door to the Hilton for a nightcap. Next time I think we'll stay closer to the action downtown.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
TheHotelGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charleston Waterfront, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Thank you for choosing to stay at the Courtyard Charleston on your birthday. I’m glad that you and your husband enjoyed the overall stay, and especially that you loved the bay view from your balcony. I was happy to read that our comfortable and updated room was to your liking and provided you with the peaceful rest you deserve. Our housekeeping and engineering staff understands that keeping the hotel fresh and updated is the number one expectation of our guests, and for that reason, go above and beyond standards for our guests. I hope you will consider giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future and we do hope to welcome you back again soon. Safe travels

Mark Thomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Really nice hotel - very nice for a Courtyard - good location, nice view,...the staff was very nice. I arrived late and they offered me some food & drinks even though the restaurant was closed. my room had a small balcony, very enjoyable

Room Tip: View of the river/marina
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to Charleston. I’m glad that you, like many others, loved our ‘southern charmed’ location on the river with beautiful sunset views. It’s always great to read that my staff comes through with their wonderful service and provides clean, fresh and relaxing facilities for your enjoyment, and really I appreciate you recognizing their efforts. Thank you again for your wonderful feedback. We look forward to welcome you back very soon. Travel Safe.

Greensboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We stayed at this property recently, in a one bedroom suite. This is a good courtyard at a very good location, close to downtown (though not walkable), with a nice view of of the marina. The breakfast bar is average, but for $3/child, not a bad deal. As mentioned earlier, the one bedroom suite, with a pull out couch, was roomy enough for 2 adults and two children (13 and 12).

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
TheHotelGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charleston Waterfront, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear AAF62, thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am so pleased you enjoyed your recent stay at the Courtyard Charleston. As you stated, our location is minutes away from downtown, and the hotel itself being right on the river, makes us the "hotel of choice" for many visitors to the area. It was great to read that our spacious suite provided all the comforts for your family. Thank you again your complimentary comments and we do hope to welcome you back soon. Travel Safe.

Greenville, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here for a weekend in November. The outside of this hotel is very nice as are the common outdoor areas. There are some maintenance and housekeeping issues with the hotel - things I would not expect to find at any Marriott property. The bathroom needed some major work - the top of the toilet tank did not fit the tank, there was mildew growing along the grout at the bottom of the tub, the ceiling was peeling away, and the shower nozzle sprayed water in all directions when turned on There was also multiple stains in the carpet.

Also, note that this property is NOT walking distance to most of the sights in Charleston The hotel claims they are in the historic district, but the property is not near the Market, Marion Square, King St, etc. There are multiple other hotels much closer. Very little is walking distance from this hotel.

Room Tip: Had a room on the first floor and the door slamming was loud all morning!
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
TheHotelGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charleston Waterfront, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear jtbrow,

Thank you for your candid feedback regarding your recent stay at my hotel. I was pleased to read that the hotel’s look appealed to you. It is never our intention to disappoint a guest in any way and we sorry there were maintenance and housekeeping issues with your room. This is extremely concerning as we certainly fell short of our standards this time. Please be assured that I have addressed this matter with the Head of our Housekeeping Department and housekeeping associates, and they are in the process of taking corrective action. I will also make sure that we are adhering to our set procedures for inspecting every room before a guest checks in.
As you mentioned, our hotel is not very near to most sights in Charleston, but it’s centrally located and not far from the highway, thus giving easy access to wherever your travels might take you. We do hope to welcome you back very soon and experience Courtyard Charleston the way it should have been on this visit. Travel safe!

Jacksonville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This Marriott Courtyard is a wonderful hotel at the Marina. The only drawback is it is just a little too far from just about everything except the Marina. In some ways, however, that is not a big problem. I stayed here for a combination business/fun trip.

The hotel is a fully modern Marriott Courtyard, with a small restaurant (did not eat there) and bar as well as a nice patio area over looking the Ashley River and the Marina. The first floor is a parking garage area and the second floor is the reception/restaurant/bar/patio area. Some rooms on this “second” floor with the remaining rooms on the floors above. Check-in and check-out was great. All of the service people were wonderful to deal with during our stay. The rooms were nice and modern. Bed was great and bathroom is pretty much what you would expect at any other Marriott Courtyard or the like. My room opened up to the river with a small, and I do mean small, balcony. The room pretty much looked like what is depicted in the hotel photos. I had ample room to work and hang out. Plentiful outlets for plugging in and a nice flat screen TV. Overall the hotel is a very enjoyable place to stay. The service is great and the rooms are nice and quiet.

While the location is nice on the river, you are not able to easily walk anywhere other than the marina due to the highway. A shuttle service will take you and drop you off in the downtown center at only one stop (what we were told). The cost for this service when I was there was $6. I thought it was free when I was there some years ago. Anyways, for 2 people it would have cost us $12, so we decided to cab it and go directly to our destination. Cabs were plentiful. Obviously one could drive their own car into the downtown tourist areas, but parking in Charleston is not always easy to find and is not cheap. I rationalized this predicament as you are not charged parking at the Courtyard Marriott, so parking when you go out or taking a cab is just part of the cost. Many of the other Inns and Hotels in the tourist areas do have parking fees which can be pricey. So, just take a cab or shuttle and figure you are probably getting more hotel for your rate because of its location and saving some money on hotel parking charges.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Good Day 2Jax,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a detailed and candid review for my hotel. I appreciate you staying at the Courtyard Charleston given that you had so many other choices in the area. I was pleased to read that your overall stay was a comfortable one and that our services, staff and amenities were to your liking. We strive to be the hotel of choice in the Charleston Downtown area and make every guest’s stay with us special. I am very privileged to have a team that shares this passion with me. I am sorry that the location of the hotel was not to your satisfaction; I would like to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused to you.
Thank you again for your honest comments. Feedback like yours is always welcome as we continually look for ways to serve our guests better. Please visit us again soon !

Courtyard by Marriott
Coral Springs, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

It's a great hotel, I booked on line $272. the average price is $390. a well kept hotel very comfortable, every amenity, huge common areas for guests Too cold to even look at the pool. I had a room with a view of the boats. It was a great location on the harbor, a few blocks from the sailing charter docks. My breakfast was delicious The historic area was nice, even though it was cold, the sun was out and the Ocean must help keep it warmer. Later, I enjoyed the market area. The staff are very pleasant. I like this chain, and especially this hotel.

Room Tip: If you book early, get a room facing the Ocean.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Good Day 387indy,

Thank you for staying at my hotel and sharing your wonderful comments regarding our facilities, and our staff's exceptional service that made your stay a pleasant one. I will share your gracious comments with my team to encourage them to continue doing what they do best every day. It was great to hear that, like so many others, you loved your room with the beautiful river view. Charleston has so much to offer— from shopping to gourmet restaurants, to the historic plantations. I am glad you were able to take advantage of our convenient location and its closeness to downtown. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and we look forward to welcome you back very soon when in the area.

Scottsdale, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary with a trip to Charleston and Savannah. Booked this hotel for two reasons: one I'm a Marriot Gild member and two the supposed distance to Charleston. We arrived and the front desk checked us in. We went to our room only to be told by the carpet cleaners that it wouldn't be ready for hours. Went back downstairs, after struggling to navigate over the snake of 3 inch hoses laid down the hallways and common areas. The front desk clerk gave a lackluster "sorry" and gave us another room. We made our way to the new room only to find out both cards did not work. Went back down to a now irritated front desk clerk only to scold us that we must have deactivated with our cell phone! Settled in to the room then decided to take a stroll thru Charleston. At that time did we find out it's not walkable, as was indicated, but we could pay for a hotel shuttle. Very very disappointed with the service for two Marriot members that stay a combined 150 nights a year with this chain.

• Stayed October 2014
Greetings from the Waterfront dadulac77 and Family,

Thank you for selecting our hotel for your recent visit to historic Charleston. We were pleased to welcome you as our guest and are especially grateful for your business given the many hotel choices available to you. Thank you for taking the time to comment on your visit. Please accept my sincere apologies that your anniversary stay coincided with our carpet cleaning We work tirelessly to ensure a clean and well maintained property, with everything in good working order and we again apologize. The feedback is appreciated and we will take immediate action to address all the concerns you have shared.

Mark Thomas

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Charleston Waterfront? Share your experiences!