“Very Noisy!! Overpriced! Unfriendly staff!! never again..” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #38 of 54 hotels in Charleston
Atlanta, Georgia
“Very Noisy!! Overpriced! Unfriendly staff!! never again..”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Me and my family decided to stay there for a couple of days. It was construction going on so it was really noisy. We had horrible service at restaurant, eggs were cold, servers were rude. My husband had a problem with people at the front desk. Molly looked like she didn't want us there.
Otherwise its a nice place with beautiful view. But it is not enough to say it was great experience. I will never stay there again. Wold not recommended that!!!

Room Tip: Choose for another hotel!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
CYCharlestonMgr, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charleston Waterfront, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
I'm sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay. You are correct that there is construction going on at the property next door to us. Luckily, the pile-driving is complete and the current construction noise is minimal. I apologize that you were also unhappy with our breakfast. It was surprising to hear as we usually get great reviews about the food we provide on the buffet. We have made some employee changes over the past two weeks and our new servers are much more experienced than the previous ones. We have gotten rave reviews so far!

I was truly shocked to read that you felt I didn't want you here. Shocked because I never feel that way about any of our guests. If I came across that way it was unintentional and I am truly sorry.

Every day I go out of my way to ensure that every guest feels welcome and knows they are appreciated. Our business is all about our guests! My goal is that every guest returns home feeling completely satisfied with his or her stay and has a desire to stay with us again. I urge future guests to voice concerns druing their stay so that we can have the opportunity to address them immediately! I guarantee we will do everything possible to make your stay the best it can be.

448 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

The arrival/lobby area was hard to ascertain as you drove up. It wasn't immediately apparent that you needed to go upstairs to check in, and no one was there to indicate that.

The beds were so comfortable with all the pillows. The TV options were good. The room was clean and comfortable. Some of the lighting didn't work, and there wasn't a good way to turn on the lights as you entered the room. Loved having the refrigerator that you could put things in - I hate having those stocked refrigerators that charge you every time you bump it, so we were grateful for the plain 'fridge!

Our bathroom was bare bones - not a lot of spa-like luxury for the money spent. And the toilet paper dispenser kept coming out of the wall completely. Just one of those things...but the Paul Mitchell amenities were nice.

The balcony didn't have the best view, but it was nice, and we enjoyed being out there, or having the door open. It was odd there was no screen door though.

The elevators were a bit slow, but not horrible.

Parking was easy - right under the hotel, or right outside it. Never difficult to get a spot.

The shuttle to downtown Charleston was FANTASTIC! Inexpensive service that let you travel every half hour to downtown for shopping/food/touring. Very nice service. Less expensive than paying for parking downtown.

The breakfast buffet was good, if not a bit pricey. Lots of good selections though.

The pool looked great - wish I had the time to enjoy it!

Great location - so nice to be near a path to go running or walking. Loved the view of the marina.

Room Tip: I would request a marina/river view. We had a marsh view, and it also overlooked an expressway and s...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
CYCharlestonMgr, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charleston Waterfront, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regardng your recent visit to the Marriott Courtyard Waterfront. I am glad that the hotel met your expectations. Our beautiful location, combined with all the amenties and attractions of Charleston, make this hotel a perfect choice for a great visit.

Your comments are appreciated, and we hope you will choose the Courtyard Waterfront on your next Charleston visit.

atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Very noisy; I have a corner room right on the highway. Sirens, check; trucks, check. The windows are not sound proofed enough. Also, the neighbor above me might as well be walking on my head. Slamming doors constantly....the walls, doors and floors just seem paper thin. I can't wait to check out. Very hard to work and/or relax. The parking situation is a little awkward. The staff is nice and there is a nice deck overlooking the harbor but peace and quiet is more important to me.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the Lockwood side of the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Your comments regarding your recent visit to the Courtyard Charleston Waterfront are much appreciated. Any time any of our guests have a less than perfect stay, it is disappointing. While the hotel is located on busy Lockwood Drive, it is also located directly on the beautiful Ashley River, a unique Charleston location. On your next visit I would encourage you to book a waterfront room, where you can enjoy the beautiful view, and be bothered with only the "noise" of a calming breeze off the water.

Again, thank you for your comments. I hope you will choose to visit us again soon.

Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We just had a family wedding in Charleston. The wedding party stayed at the courtyard and received excellent service. We also had the rehearsal dinner for about 80 people on the patio at the courtyard. Bailey, Christine, Sterling and Molly all went out of their way to help. Bailey guided us thru the pre-event planning to get exactly what we needed. Christine helped with a few last minute issues and Sterling helped us get the room we needed for a longer stay. At one point I was concerned about a miss communication with the outside caterers. Molly said don't worry about it, she would take care of it and she did. We used Jim 'N Nick's for the food, IceBox for the bar tending, Event DRS for the plates and Charleston Flower Market for the flowers. They all worked great together. The view of the harbor was a great back drop for alot of pictures.

The location was very close to the actual wedding site at the historic Rice MIll on Lockwood.

The rooms were great and the food excellent.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
CYCharlestonMgr, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charleston Waterfront, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Thank you for the wonderful feedback regarding your experience at the Courtyard-Waterfront. It was a pleasure to be part of such a special day. It was a beautiful event, and we are all delighted that it met your expectations.

We hope we will have the chance to serve you again soon.

Thank you so much.

Greenwood, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

This hotel had a beautiful view of the harbor and a very nice outdoors area to sit at and relax during a mid-October weekend stay. My husband would have preferred the downtown location, but I really enjoyed the views and atmosphere at this location. The hotel staff were very friendly, but the breakfast staff were just okay. I have a lot of food allergies, gluten intolerance, and lactose intolerance, which the staff were not helpful with at all. While my husband did eat breakfast there, I was not able to. He said that the food was mediocre at best and not worth the price they charge for it. Construction will be going on next door until fall 2013, and we were not able to sleep in because of the noise. Early birds shouldn't have any problems, though. We were able to hear people walking around above us during the night, which also added to poor sleep quality for us. The hotel was really beautiful, but overall average.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments regarding the Courtyard-Waterfront. My apologies for a less than perfect stay.

The hotel consistently receives excellent comments regarding the quality, and the wide variety of food on our buffet, so I am a little surprised by your comments. I am sorry that you feel our servers were not responsive enough to your questions regarding your specific dietary needs. I am not sure if you spoke to one of our managers, but I think they could have given you better information. I will address your question to our food vendor to confirm what items might be able take care of this type of request should it come up again in the future.

Thanks again for your comments, and I hope we will have the chance to serve you again in the near future.

Asst. Gen Mgr
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I was very surprised by this hotel. It was super nice, not downtown though but a good spot to stay at. Its about 10 minutes away from downtown. They are doing construction around the hotel right now but it didn't bother me. The staff was great and the hotel was beautiful! Not what I expected at all!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
CYCharlestonMgr, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charleston Waterfront, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Thank you for your great feedback. The Courtyard-Waterfront's unique setting does set it apart from the rest of Charleston's many great hotels....and it is only a few minutes from downtown Charleston. I am glad you had a great stay, and I hope we will have the chance to have you back soon.

Asst Gen Manager
Washington, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed three nights in October. Although some don't like the location, it worked well for us. Easy access to Calhoun which gets you into town and back on Spring worked for us throughout our stay. Nice sized pool and looks out over the marina which can be quite pleasant in the evening. Get a marina view and an upper floor room you can have a decent balcony. In October it was pleasant to sit outside. Room was a nice size and comfortable. Fridge and microwave are nice convenience.

The downsides - as many mention there is pile-driving going on next door, but if you are sight-seeing during the day its over by the time you return in the evening. Breakfast is poor quality compared to what I've had at other Courtyard. A/C in our room did not work very well, which would have been a much bigger problem in July.

If you are a devoted Marriott rewards earner / user this is an OK place but I would look at the other properties in Charleston first.

Room Tip: Get an upper floor with Marina view and balcony. First floor balconies are too small.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
CYCharlestonMgr, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Charleston Waterfront, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit. The Courtyard-Waterfront does offer a unique waterfront location, with a great view of the Ashley River from the hotel's pool or terrace.

I am sorry that you experienced less than a perfect stay. The construction next to the hotel can be disruptive but as you said, it will not dramatically influence your stay if you are out and about Charleston during the day. Regarding your comments on quality of breakfast, I am somewhat surprised. Out breakfast is one of the most highly rated areas on our guest surveys. It is always possible to have an off day, and if your experience was negatively influenced by that my apologies.

Once again, thank you for the feedback, and I hope you will return soon

Asst. General Manager

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Charleston Waterfront? Share your experiences!