“Beautiful Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 59 Hotels in Charleston
Melbourne, Australia
“Beautiful Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

The lobby of the hotel was lovely and very charming, however the room was a little dated and could do with a little updating. That being said, the room was well kept. The location was excellent, the airport bus is within walking distance, it is within walking distance to all of the sights and along the free bus route. There is no wifi in the rooms which was annoying. Staff were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I'm happy to hear you loved our charming lobby and our location was just right. When it comes to your room, we are continually improving our historic hotel, and your suggestions will help us preserve the past. I sure do appreciate your feedback, and will check on our wifi which is normally easy to use and complimentary. I hope you'll keep us in mind next time you're in Charleston. Our door's always open!

Gayle Karolczyk, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
Bristow, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We stayed at the Francis Marion last year and again this year and LOVED it!
Love the location, the view, the convenience of the Swamp Fox Restaurant and Starbucks in the lobby. Great service and love the pedicabs to take you anywhere in the city!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
I'm so pleased to hear that you've been really impressed with both of your stays at our hotel, Victoria! Thanks very much for taking the time to write, and I look forward to seeing you again for many more trips to Charleston.

Safe travels,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

The staff here was exceptional and amazing! Will definitely stay here again and recommend to family and friends! Can't say anything bad about this hotel. Rooms were great, room service was great, staff was great! Restaurant, spa and Starbucks on site.

• Stayed July 2014
Your review means so much! Thanks for the kind words on everything from the staff to the rooms. Can't wait to have you back for another visit soon!

Daleville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I enjoyed my brief stay at the Francis Marion Hotel. Old world style in a perfect location.Very convenient and within walking distance of historic Charleston.The hotel itself could use a bit of sprucing up.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

"Old world style in a perfect location" is exactly the kind of thing we like to hear, Michael! Thanks for letting me know what you thought of your stay -- it's helpful when looking for ways to improve our historic hotel. Hope you have safe travels, and will be back to visit!

Best wishes,
Rome, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

A friend and I went to Charleston for three days of site-seeing. The Francis Marion is located within walking distance of several sites. It has old-world charm with modern conveniences. Our room exceeded our expectations!!

Room Tip: Room 708 has two bathrooms!!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

It's wonderful to hear that you were impressed with your recent stay, David! It means a lot that you were impressed with your room, the decor, and the location. I can't wait to welcome you back in the future!

Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Checked in with a friendly and helpful staff. Went to my room and was NOT impressed (very dirty--as in needs a deep cleaning). The doors had dirt/grime on them, hair hanging from lamp shades, and "caked" dust on the curtain valances. I'm normally not one to complain but I couldn't take it--especially for how much I was paying! Went to the front desk and spoke with Courtney (who's absolutely amazing); she was very professional and provided me with another room that was better. She also sent chocolate covered strawberries and a card up to my room later. I absolutely appreciated her sincerity and professionalism to "make it right". She and another front desk lady (can't remember her name--long, pretty sounding name) would ask how everything was until the day I left--they were awesome! Though the service was EXCEPTIONAL, I'm not sure I'd stay at this hotel again due to the cleanliness problem. I understand it's an old hotel but there are some deep cleaning problems there. The 2nd room I received was better than the 1st obviously but I still some deep cleaning issues (dust/grime--just to a lesser degree). And maybe it's because I was paying so much a night (up to $279) that I expected and demanded a little more. Just wish the rooms would have "matched" the excellent service from the front desk! Good work ladies, keep it up!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
I'm surprised to hear that you arrived to a room that was anything less than stellar, Adrienne. We take great care to clean every room daily and thoroughly. It's wonderful to hear that our front desk staff was able to help you when you brought this to their attention. I appreciate you reaching out about your stay, and I'll definitely look into ways to make each guest's visit an even better one. Wishing you safe travels, and I'd love for you to consider returning in the future!

Oakton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

This is a 1920's era hotel that has been beautifully restored. The hotel is located in the heart of Charleston and within walking distance to all the great shops, restaurants and attractions.There's a free cable car that stops in front of the hotel and will take you to most places if you're not able to walk which we needed for my mother; it was very convienent. The hotel is beautifully decorated and the rooms are quite spacious. I'm not sure what room others may have had but ours had two bathrooms and this came in handy since we have two children. Yes the bathrooms are smaller than some hotels but they were nice and clean. The front desk staff (I didn't get their names) were very nice and helpful when I asked for some info about local attractions or needed change. Also, whenever you walk by you're sure to be greeted with a friendly smile. We dined in the restaurant for several meals and the food was excellant. The fried green tomatoes were fried with panko bread crumbs and red pepper jelly and goat cheese. These were some of the best I've ever had. The crab cakes were also very tasty and mostly crabmeat and not loaded with filler. The breakfast buffet should not be missed; it has everything. Be sure to have the grits because they are creamy and full of flavor, definitely not watery. Dereck was our waiter and was very polite and helpful. He suggfested a few things for my children and they were happy. Not easy to please children sometimes but he did. Daniel greeted each time we dined there and he is charming and very gracious. He checked on us several times during our meals just to make sure we were okay. I also would like to mention Tyler who greeted us upon our arrival. His friendly attitude and helpfulness are to be commended. We will definitely return to the Francis Marion!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the park; the view is beautiful.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
It's wonderful to read your very kind and well-written review! Thanks so much for the compliments on everything from the accommodating rooms to the helpful staff. I'm pleased to hear that you were able to dine with us, too. It means so much to read about your visit with us, and I look forward to having you back again soon!

All the best,