“museum style” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 57 Hotels in Charleston
Ontario
“museum style”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

One cannot help but admire the frozen-in-time look of this old hotel. Its location is great, if one wants to walk around downtown. It is great if one wants to imagine living in old-school aristocratic splendour.

On the other hand, modern comforts are not here. Instead, tricky & slow elevators, small & tightly-packed rooms (two double-beds in ours) and hallways, ancient fixtures one's afraid to touch, tricky parking, and an expensive restaurant... authentic it may be, but one in search of spacious comfort might look elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
While I agree that our location can't be beat, I'm sorry you weren't more impressed with our building. In addition to customer service, preserving the look and feel of the past is our top priority. We're actually working on updates to our elevators as we speak, and we're continually working to improve our historic hotel. Thanks for following up!

Gayle Karolczyk, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The hotel is very centrally located within easy walking distance to Charleston's beautiful old town areas. Rooms are not very large but large enough for a short stay and have everything that's needed. Beds were comfortable. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The lobby area is very large and inviting. Pricing is quite good for Charleston. Would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thanks for your feedback! It's wonderful to hear you appreciate our convenient location and friendly service. I'm certain other reviewers will appreciate your recommendation as much as I do!

Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I was very pleased with my stay at the Francis Marion Hotel. It not only is a beautiful old building in the heart of downtown Charleston, but the staff was very helpful. They recommended some great bars and restaurants to visit, which definitely enhanced our trip. I had forgotten to request a needed roll away mattress upon check in. Upon calling the mattress in later that evening, it was promptly delivered to our room! Beds were also comfortable, and the room was very cozy. I will make sure to stay at the Francis Marion next time I visit Charleston

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for the excellent rating, Ken! It's great to hear you were so pleased with how accommodating our staff is. We like for everyone who stays with us to have an exceptional time, and I'm delighted that was the case for you!

Until next time,
Menlo Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I'm pretty picky about hotels, but I'm comfortable giving this hotel five stars. I stayed here five nights at the end of July in Room 400, which is a bedroom with a separate living area. I have to admit, every time I walked through the common areas of this hotel, I thought of the Titanic, I know that's weird, but the hotel has that same feeling of old-world luxury.

My room had a street view and was very quiet. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was small, yet very nice. I didn't use the living area, but it was nicely appointed.

The service is top-notch. Doormen are polite and helpful. Front desk is ready to provide courteous service. Honestly, the only small flaw was the elevator, which was really slow, but it's an historic hotel, so that's part of the charm.

The hotel location is ideal to shopping and restaurants. Even the hotel restaurant is good.
Overall, an excellent stay.

Room Tip: Street view for the scenery.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
To read that someone who holds hotels to such high standards has no qualms about giving us five stars is both flattering and humbling — a remark our staff won't soon forget. The fact that you compared our rooms and decor to that of the Titanic is just the icing on the cake! I'm delighted to hear you were so impressed with every aspect of your stay, and I hope you'll keep us in mind next time you're planning a trip to Charleston.

Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I stayed in this lovely, old and grand hotel for the first time in mid-July w/my daughter during her student orientation at the College. The staff was gracious and very accommodating at check-in. The bedding is fabulous, making for an excellent nights rest. The restrooms are quite tiny, but you have to realize this is a very old hotel and whatever it is lacking in amenities due to its age, the staff makes up for in southern hospitality. The Swamp Fox restaurant is a great place for a wonderful dinner and easy breakfast; the shrimp and grits are delicious. I will be returning again with my family in the Fall.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Hands down the best place to stay in Charleston? What a gracious compliment! Thank you so much for taking the time to recommend us. We love being able to host College of Charleston students and parents, and we're already looking forward to your next visit!

Until then,
Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Lovely hotel in a fantastic location.To the left long street of bars and restaurants to the right long street of shops as I say perfect location.
Hotel itself and the rooms were traditional and clean with great air conditioning could have done with a bath as the only complaint I would have would be the shower was stuck in a corner of the actual shower cubicle and you couldn't get washed easily.
Apart from that Charleston is a brilliant place and this hotel is perfect location to explore the outer beach areas.After having an amazing previous week in newyork this was a pleasant contrast to the hustle and bustle (and extremely expensive for food and drink) to the laid back cheap and traditional real South Carolina experience.Would definitely return to Charleston and also stay in the Francis Marion without doubt.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Great to hear from you all the way from the UK, Sharon! I'm delighted that our hotel provided a bit of relief from your otherwise busy trip. I appreciate your recommendation, and I hope to have you back next time you're in the US!

Cheers,
Beavercreek, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I was here for a conference for 2 nights. Overall hotel staff are super friendly, the building has historic charm and beautiful meeting rooms. The guest room was a nice size, had a desk, vanity, couch, coffee table in addition to the king bed. My only compliant would be the humidity was controlled about everywhere else but the guest room. It was super muggy...otherwise everything was perfect!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for taking the time to write about your stay! While I'm sorry to hear the humidity made your room uncomfortable, I appreciate you speaking up about it. I'll be sure to have our maintenance staff check those settings as soon as possible!

Best,
Gayle Karolczyk, General Manager

Been to Francis Marion Hotel? Share your experiences!