“The place to stay.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 57 Hotels in Charleston
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
“The place to stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Wonderful historic hotel with great rooms. The hotel staff goes above and beyond my 5 day stay was more than I could have expected. I would recommend this to anyone who is a history buff. I don't believe I have ever stayed where I felt I really mattered. Loved, loved, the staff in all areas.

• Stayed July 2013
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
The place to stay? Wow! What an amazing compliment. To hear that your stay far exceeded your expectations is just the icing on the cake. We appreciate your recommendation as much as we appreciate your business!

Until next time,
Gayle Karolczyk, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My stay was generally a good one. The staff were very helpful and cordial. Even though the hotel is obviously an old one, it still had class and charm. It is also in a wonderful location. You are within walking distance of many great restaurants and shopping, not to mention the ocean. However, my room did need some minor repairs, such as painting and deep cleaning. There was something on one of the curtains as well as on the door trim to the bathroom. Also, I wouldn't suggest the restaurant connected to the hotel for breakfast. I ordered the french toast and it appeared they had just toasted some texas toast and sprinkled cinnamon on it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for bringing those things to my attention! I always appreciate when guests let me know when they see areas for improvement. We are continually improving our historic hotel, and your suggestions will help us preserve the past!

Thanks again,
Cary, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights beautiful public areas. Historic hotel. Nice location. Rooms need to be updated. However, the beds are very comfortable. Rooms are large. Bathrooms are nice shower water pressure low. Used Hotwire for rates. If you use the hotel website it's pricey.

• Stayed July 2013
Thanks for your input! While it's great to hear you appreciate our historic charm and convenient location, I'm sorry you weren't completely satisfied with the water pressure in your shower. Do you remember what room you stayed in? I'd like to get our maintenance staff in there as soon as possible to figure out what's going on!

Regards,
Waxhaw, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We are a family of 5 and it was a nice "surprise" to have 2 bathrooms in our room. If you are looking for "character" this is the place to stay. The room reminded me of the Waldorf in NYC if familiar. Bedding was very comfortable. Staff very friendly. The lobby area is beautiful. We were high up so we had a nice view of the city. Convenient location for walking around the city. Note: valet parking or a parking garage close by. If you don't use valet, could be a "little" hassle if you have kids and you go to the beach often, since you will need to walk to garage carrying stuff to load/unload car.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
It's wonderful to hear your family fit so comfortably into one of our larger rooms! I'm so glad we were able to accommodate you on your Charleston vacation. Other reviewers certainly will appreciate your tips on parking as much as I do!

Warm regards,
Tampa, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

A larger group of girls stayed at this hotel for a bachelorette party. The location was great, as we could walk anywhere from the hotel, and for the night we all wore heals, we were able to have a bus give us a lift at a very reasonable cost. The rooms were clean and the service was great. Our bell service was outstanding. The young man whose name I can't remember, helped us to our room with all of our luggage, then outlined all of the hot spots downtown. We had an Amazing weekend! I thought the room size was kind of small for what we paid. However, I loved the old southern charm of the hotel!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for your recommendation, Meghan! It was our pleasure to host your bachelorette party, and I'm happy to hear everyone had such a great time. We hope you'll keep us in mind for future visits to Charleston!

All the best,
Hilton Head Island, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Francis Marion for an event I was attending. I have to say the public areas are nothing short of grand and breath-taking! Our room left some to be desired. It was fairly small with a very small bathroom and closet. That being said, I had a very early check-in (11:00am), and I believe the desk-person said it was the only room available. The decor was not in the Charleston style some others have described here. It was just about to be renovated if I understood the front desk person. As for the bath and closet, one needs to keep in mind this hotel was built in the 1920's, so it was not built with large baths and closets. I really loved the charm and character...I hope part of the renovations would be to make it more contemporary. Beds were incredibly comfortable! It was very quiet. One of the major pluses was the level of service. I've stayed in 5 star hotels that did not have nearly the level of service! Yes, the baths and closets are small, but that's to be expected when staying in a historic hotel. I will definitely be back!

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for following up with us after your stay! Reading that you were so impressed with our customer service made my day. Our staff works hard to make sure our guests feel right at home in our hotel, and I'm delighted to hear that was the case for you. We can't wait to have you back again soon!

Safe travels,
Gayle, General Manager
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many times, and even had a wedding for my Daughter there in February 2013. If you are looking for a hotel with character and a staff that is one of the most accommodating in the industry, this is where you want to go. The rooms are grand, they take you back in time with your first step into the door. The lobby looks like a roaring 20's, but the upkeep, and constant updating of the materials, elevators, and rooms is obvious. This is the best choice in Charleston, only a pedicab ride to the downtown and back. A wonderful park across the street, and the College of Charleston right next door. A GRAND PLACE TO STAY

Room Tip: They are all a bit different, but the larger the room the better. I like the view, and you can get...