“Wonderful service - We had a great meeting there! It is a historic hotel though so be prepared.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Francis Marion Hotel

Save Saved
You added Francis Marion Hotel to your Saves list
Francis Marion Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   387 King Street, Charleston, SC 29403   |
Ranked #27 of 54 hotels in Charleston
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I am a meeting planner and have held one other meeting there before (about 2 years ago). I just held a meeting there for 10 people in April. I can't say enough about the hotel's customer service. EVERYONE of the staff people were friendly and helpful. My sales/catering contact was great all the way down to the front desk staff and banquet staff. My meeting room was set correctly and the food was great. My room was nice and spacious. I may have been upgraded though so not all the rooms may be like that. I did have a couple of my clients made comments about the bathrooms in the sleeping rooms being too small. And yes, they are VERY small. Ladies...you will have trouble getting all your items in the sink area so be prepared. They did have a make up mirror on a vanity in the room though. I also had some clients complain about noise from their neighbors and that they had trouble sleeping. I didn't experience that but I was at the end of the hallway. The location is fabulous! It is walking distance to many great restaurants - we had dinner at Hall's Chop House. It's also walking distance from many shops. There is a starbucks attached to the lobby. They were working on the elevators so you had to wait forever to get one. I'm not sure if it's always like that or not.

Room Tip: The views can be great or horrible...check to see what you are getting in advance.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
We appreciate the review on Trip Advisor. I will pass on your wonderful comments about our staff to everyone. I am glad to hear you and your group enjoyed our location and our food. I hope you will host future meetings with us.

1,298 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed several nights for a conference held at the hotel.
The location is central, facing a main square and with many restaurants, shops, attractions within walking distance.
The room they gave me overlooked the square and was comfortably furnished.
This is an old building, which means some pros and cons. The room was nice & quiet and I slept well, probably because of solid old construction. On the other hand, the plumbing and air conditioning were a little cranky. One fellow conference attendee got flooded out of his room; fortunately nothing like that happend to me - just some fluctuations of temperature & water pressure in the shower.
The business facilities were very suitable for our small conference (about 200 participants) - There was a large banquet hall which fit all of us, and plenty of smaller session rooms for meetings. Air conditioning, audiovisual, catering, coffee setup, etc. all went well throughout. The most popular venue for "business" was definitely the hotel bar, which was very pleasantly furnished and comfortable.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor! I am sorry to hear about your fellow attendee's room. Our Maintenance team has addressed that issue. I am happy to hear though that you enjoyed our location and meeting facilities. I hope your group will stay wtih us again or you can join us for a personal stay.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

$200 plus and you get a room that looks at a wall!! Doors have cracks 1/2 in at top and bottom! Historic yes, quality no. Bathrooms that have about 2 Sq feet of room to move around in. You can hear your neighbor breath. I travel for a living and this HISTORIC hotel is not for me! I would rather pay $200 at a national brand and have functional rooms that don't look at a brick wall! Oh yeah, for $200 at a national brand you would not be looking at a wall! There is a plus, there is a Starbucks in the lobby.

The description of the hotels says meticulous restored? I can only guess they forgot to do my room. Holes in the ceiling, walls, and molding that looks like they just patented over water damage. A patched crack (poorly patched) that runs from the ceiling 1/2 way down the wall. If you want a truly historic hotel that looks horrible at an unreasonable rate stay here. You will love it.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
We appreciate the time you took to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I apologize if the upkeep of your room did not meet your standards. I know this does not change your experience, but we have heard your concerns and are definitely responding to them.
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Smallish rooms, extremely small bathrooms and the elevators are a nuisance. Clean facility and friendly staff does not compensate for the short-comings. It is located in a perfect area for exploring the city. The biggest plus is that there is a Starbucks within the facility.

Room Tip: Try for the top floors and away from the park. The single pane glass does little to block the noise...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. We're sorry your expectations were not met. Historic properties have building restraints imposed by governing authorities and we are limited in our structural changes. We make it a priority to listen to guests' concerns though. We are in the process of modernizing the elevators, whcih will make them more efficient. I hope you will give us a second chance.
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

The hotel lobby and ball rooms were beautiful, but the rooms left a lot to be desired. The rooms were tiny and bathroom even smaller. The elevators were very slow and the old-fashioned pully ropes sounded so strained that i wondered if we were going to make it safely each time we entered.We were there for a wedding where the reception was at the hotel. The reception room was beautiful and the buffet was delicious. The staff was very friendly, accommodating and informative. All in all, an OK experience thanks to the staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I apologize for the noise from the elevators. That noise has been fixed. We are still in the process of modernizing the elevators to make them more efficient though. I assure you that the elevators are regularly certified for safety. I am delighted to hear that the wedding you attended went well, and you enjoyed our service and food. I hope you will stay with us again.
Juneau, Alaska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

All told, the Francis Marion Hotel is a place that I would stay at again, (no staff, sleeping, or cleanliness problems) but I'd wait for a discount. It has a good location, beautiful decorations, a tasty restaurant, and some interesting history. You'll find that it's much more expensive on fridays and weekends than on weekdays. Our room was a little narrow and the TV had terrible screen and sound quality, so I don't feel that the room and amenities were worth the price. Room service was so-so, and I enjoyed the location (and price) of some other downtown hotels more.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor. I apologize for the problems you had with the tv, and I will have our maintenance staff address that. You included some great tips to get lower rates - weekdays and summer and winter are the most economical times to visit Charleston. Spring weekends are a little higher rate in the city, because of the beautiful weather, festivals and tour of homes, and the gardens being in bloom. I hope you will stay with us again.
China Grove, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed in 3 Charleston hotels within one week...we were cashing in points for the other two hotels but we got Francis Marion blindly through priceline. It was nice enough, the room they gave us was large since it was a conversion from two small rooms combined (I asked for that and was given it). We had 2 tiny bathrooms in our enlarged room, so we used one for the kids and one for us. Both bathrooms looked clean but had that sour "straight bleach" smell that was overwhelming the first night.
This hotel is across the street from a park that was pretty but seemed to be a little seedy at night. The location is not as ideal to the sites as was the Mills House.
There is no pool here, the kids missed that after having pools at the other hotels. Front desk and maid service were fine. We did pay to park as per norm for most downtown hotels.
I'd rather stay more central to the town, this was on the upper north edge of the district.

Room Tip: Ask for an enlarged room (made from 2 small rooms) so you can have 2 bathrooms...bathrooms are tiny.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
We appreciate the review on Trip Advisor. I am happy to hear that we were able to upgrade you to Deluxe accommodations with two bathrooms, and that worked well for your family.

Been to Francis Marion Hotel? Share your experiences!