“Nice view of the Ravenel Bridge!” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Sweet Summer Stroll
Ranked #28 of 58 Hotels in Charleston
West Milford, New Jersey
“Nice view of the Ravenel Bridge!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

This historic hotel (and tallest in Charleston) was a change for us from our favorite hotel in Charleston The King Charles Inn on Meeting St. This hotel has a beautiful lobby and quaint resturant but the room is VERY small (especially the bathroom, with minimal toiletries), thin walled (you can hear your neighbor talking in normal voices) but clean (a great housekeeping staff). We were there during Charleston Fashion Week and the festivities across the street in the park were very LOUD until past 11 pm. I ws very disappointed in our stay and will definitely return to King Charles upon our next visit this summer!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
We appreciate the time you took to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations. Historic properties (like our's built in 1924) have building restraints imposed by governing authorities and we are limited in our structural changes. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our lobby and restaurant. Enjoy your next visit to Charleston.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

The title says it all. The exterior and lobby are like lipstick on a pig. The room was extremely tiny, tired and noisy. It was barely big enough to fit a queen size bed and even then, not even enough room to move between the bed and vanity. I have a big bruise on my leg to prove it. The ancient, dusty, paint-peeled single pane window did nothing to quell the loud, drunk college kids on the street at 2 am or the loud construction vehicles at 6:15 am. Needles to say, we got no sleep. The worst part, however, was the bathroom. No bigger than a closet but the big issue was the loud burping, gargling toilet all night. It spewed toilet water onto the floor and even worse, onto our rears when we had to use it. Disgusting!!! I had to complain and had the room comped but still... If you want "quaint" and don't care about quiet, comfort and human waste, this place is perfect. I'll never stay there again though.

• Stayed March 2013
We have reviewed your comments on Trip Advisor and would like to thank you for taking the time to bring this concern to our attention. We know this occurence was upsetting to you and fully understand how diappointed you were. I will certainly notify the Maintenance Department regarding the plumbing in your room so that future guests will not experience the same problems you encountered. I know this does not change your experience, but I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concerns and are definitely responding.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

My wife and I just got back from Charleston, SC and stayed at the Francis Marion. When we first checked in, our room had 2 double beds--we had thought we booked a king sized bed. After a call down to the front desk, the friendly and very accommodating staff upgraded us to a corner view room with a view and king sized bed without any additional costs. The staff was wonderful and we loved staying at the Francis Marion. Highly recommend.

Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your recommendation of our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your room. We hope to see you again soon.
Woodleaf, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

I recently spent several days in Charleston with some girlfriends. From the minute I pulled up to the Francis Marion hotel until I left, I was delighted and charmed. The valets were helpful and so very pleasant. The front desk personnel were welcoming and efficient. I loved the charming feel of the lobby. My room was nicely decorated and the bed was very comfortable. As previously mentioned the bathroom is very small but clean. While there we used the expertise of the concierge Contance. She was very gracious as she helped make dinner and activity reservations. We were not disappointed with any of the places she recommended. This was such a pleasant experience that I will stay there again when visiting Charleston.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
We appreciate your kind review on Trip Advisor. I will pass on your nice comments to the valet, front desk, and Constance. We look forward to seeing you the next time you visit Charleston.
VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Stayed at this hotel earlier this week. Room on the 9th floor facing the water - wonderful sunrise every morning.
Hotel was clean and comfortable. Like several other reviewers commented- bathroom is tiny.. but clean and the toiletry items were very nice. Had breakfast every morning at the restaurant in the hotel - very nice. Found it a little difficult to regulate the temperature in one of the rooms - but it wasn't unbearable. The service given to us by the conceirge was wonderful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the sunrise and found our hotel clean and comfortable. I hope you will stay with us again next time you are in Charleston.
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

This is a lovely old hotel. Rooms are small, but adequate. HOWEVER, from the time we checked in, our toilet gurgled loudly every so often, splashing water all over the toilet seat and floor. The gurgling was loud enough to awaken us at night. We reported the problem at the front desk, and the folks there seemed baffled. However, when the engineer came to check it out, he said this has been a regular problem that they are having trouble fixing. Why in the world would they rent this room??? We made our reservation 6 months in advance, so I don't think this was the last room available in the hotel. They did knock some off our bill upon check-out, for which we were grateful, but even given this, we were pretty dissatisfied with our experience and with the lack of responsiveness of the staff with regard to this apparently known problem.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate the time you took to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am so sorry for the experience you had with the gurling toilet. Our Engineering Department is trying to fix it. I hope you will give us a second chance next time you are in Charleston.
Oxford, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I took my daughter down to Charleston over spring break. This was the perfect location for shopping. The hotel is located right at the beginning of the King Street shopping district. The bedroom was very large and nicely decorated. Ask for the park side view 5th floor or higher. We had a wonderful view of the Ravenel bridge and harbor from this height. The beds were very plush and elegant! However the bathroom newly upgraged was minuscule and I mean tiny. Fine for 2 small women, but not for very large people. Hotel location in also 3 blocks from the Charleston Visitor Center where you can pick up a CharlestonHeritage Passport, which is good for 2 days and gets you into 5 of the historic houses as well as Middleton Plantation and Drayton Hall and 2 museums $45.95. Also a must is happy hour at Pearlz./..great prices and fun atmosphere. The bike carriages for $5.50/person were a feet saver. Magnolias for lunch was also very tasty.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your great review on Trip Advisor! I agree we are in the perfect location for shopping. Also, thank you for sharing some Charleston tips. We hope to see you again soon.

Been to Francis Marion Hotel? Share your experiences!