“Classic hotel with a great location” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Book Early for Winter
Ranked #26 of 54 Hotels in Charleston
New York City, New York
“Classic hotel with a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights during the week of January 28th 2013 and were quite happy with the property. Nearly all of the staff that we encountered were friendly, professional and genuinely concerned with the enjoyment of our stay. We spent some time in the early evening before heading out on the town in the Lobby bar, the young lady serving was very personable and made excellent recommendations for both our drinks and a local restaurant. Our room was well taken care of, very clean and plenty of space. The location of the hotel is perfect given its proximity to great restaurants, bars & local attractions. The view from the 5th floor was outstanding, we awoke each morning with a view of Marion Square and the Cooper River Bridge! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay!

Room Tip: Request a room higher up and facing Marion Square, the view is great!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that you shared it on Trip Advisor! I will share your nice comments with the staff and we hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
Wilmington, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

i stayed the week of jan 14 - 18 2013 for a conderence. i enjoyed my stay, but bathroom VERY small. bed was very comfy, my bed was turned down w chocs on my pillow every night. nice touch, but i seemed to be the only one in my group to get that. air conditioning struggled a but, but then we needed the heat about the 3rd night in and it did ok. one very aggravating thing was the room key kept deactivating. it only happened to me once, but my friend had it happen almost every time she left the room. very aggravating! the staff was great and the restaurant was great also. best fried green tomatoes and shrimp and grits i've ever eaten. i would recommend eating there. over all satisfied w stay, i would probably stay again. (the lobby is very pretty, bell hops very courtious)

We do have great fried green tomatoes and shrimp and grits! Thank you for sharing on Trip Advisor. We hope to see you again soon.
Rockville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights the last weekend of January 2013.....the bathrooms ARE very small but the room itself was fine, good bed (my main interest)....nice furnishings......

I think the upper floors would have had a view...we were on the 3rd floor.....others complained of night noise if their room faced onto King St. (it is a college town after all)......good food (we were with a group of about 100 and had breakfast and one lunch and one dinner there).....the staff is very friendly and helpful......
the last morning we were on our own for breakfast so we ate at the restaurant in the hotel....it was very good....nice buffet.....reasonable prices.

Can't say anything more about the location....very close to downtown, the visitors center and the College....I would definitely stay there again....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Thank you for sharing your lovely comments on Trip Advisor! I will pass on your compliments to our chef as well as the rest of our staff. We look forward to your future stays with us!
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My husband and I had our wedding reception at the Francis Marion a few weeks ago and the service, venue, and hospitality were exceptional. A majority of our guests stayed at the hotel and all had nothing but great things to say about this hotel and its staff. The location of the hotel is fantastic too because you can walk down King Street and shop, eat, and have a great time. I highly recommend this hotel if you are visiting in the Charleston area for a few days and for those of you who are looking for wedding reception venue (their catering service is wonderful).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Congratulations on your marriage!!! We do love weddings at the Francis Marion Hotel, and I am delighted to hear that your's was "exceptional" and that your guests had great things to say. We really appreciate you sharing this on Trip Advisor, and I hope you will stay with us again for your anniversary or sooner.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Francis Marion for a week while attending a conference. The hotel was selected by the group sponsoring the conference, so I had not made the decision to stay there myself. Based on my week-long experience at the FM, here is my list of pros and cons:

Pros: Attractive front lobby; polite front desk attendant and doorman; very comfortable bed; good HD television; great location.

Cons: air conditioning in room did not work no matter how low I set the thermostat and room was very warm; walls and bathroom door were scuffed up and needed painting; bottom of bathtub had area of ceramic that had been broken and not repaired; space between foot of bed and dresser was very narrow and drawer could not be opened all the way; there was a dead insect on the floor in the room that I noticed on my first morning there and who was still there when I returned after the first day of meetings. I intentionally didn't remove him to see when Housekeeping would get it. They didn't.

Given a choice, I would not stay at the FM again. I can get the good things the FM has to offer at other hotels without getting the bad. It's a shame. The FM has great potential.

• Stayed January 2013
We appreciate the time you have taken to discuss your concerns on Trip Advisor regarding your stay. We are sorry your expectations were not met. We have discussed these topics with the Director of Maintenance and Housekeeping Managers and are addressing them. I know this does not change your experience, but I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concerns and are definitely responding to your suggestions. We make it a priority to listen to guests' concerns. Thank you, again, for the feedback, and I hope you will give us a second chance.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I really enjoyed my time here! It is located just north of all the tourist areas including the arts and fashion districts as well as Market St. Plenty of places to eat and drink around the hotel. The lobby was very nice and eye catching. The staff was polite and very helpful. The room was clean and spacious for 2 people. The only problem I had with the room was no microwave or fridge. If you want a room with a view of the main street make sure you request it. My room faced another brick wall but this was no problem for me. There is parking in the garage next to the hotel or you can park on the street after 6pm til I believe 8am for free. Overall I would definitly stay here again...

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience on Trip Advisor! We can place a fridge in the room for an additional $10 per night, or they are available in our suites. We look forward to serving you again in the future.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

The hotel is in the process of re doing the lobby so lots of workers in the center of the hotel. But the real issue was the inability to control the heating unit in the room. The staff was very pleasant and did their best, but the room was small and the bathroom even smaller - one person size. This was what they referred to as a standard room

Room Tip: Perhaps check out the heating unit during check in
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Sharing your thoughts on Trip Advisor about your stay at the Francis Marion is most appreciated. I have notified our Director of Mainentance about your issue with the heating unit. The lobby sure does look great after getting a fresh coat of paint. I'm sorry though that renovation was taking place while you were here. Being a historic hotel, we are continually restoring the property. Thank you, again, for your comments, and I hope you will choose to stay with us again.

Been to Francis Marion Hotel? Share your experiences!