“Old, Grand Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 57 Hotels in Charleston
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Old, Grand Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We had a Groupon voucher to stay here over the holidays. From the moment we walked in, everybody, from the doormen, to the bell hop, to the front desk clerk were extremely courteous, nice and helpful. Check-in took less than 5 minutes, so that was nice after driving for a few hours. The lobby is gorgeous, and I can see how it would've been the "grande dame" of hotels in earlier years. Our room was clean, and the walk-in closet was much bigger than we expected. Everything was nice, and the only complaint I would have is the bathroom is extremely small. It reminded me of European bathrooms. There was virtually no counter space to put things and the toilet was super small. It is no exaggeration when I say more that no more than 2 people can be in the bathroom at the same time. The hotel explained that biggest the building is old, it's only so much they can do in a renovation. Other than that, I have no complaints.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor that faces the water, or a view down King Street.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
We appreciate the time you have taken to review our hotel on Trip Advisor! I will pass on your nice comments about our staff.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
Seaford, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My Cousin & I vacationed in Charleston and stayed at the Francis Marion. Staff was very nice, friendly, and helpful. The beds were very comfortable. However, the rooms are small and the bathroom is EXTREMELY tiny - especially for two women! The walls were also "thin" in that you could hear everything and we were on the 9th floor and could hear people in the park across the street. But, we were glad we stayed where we did as it is in a great location to in relationship to historic downtown Charleston.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
We are in a great location! Thank you for reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor, and we are glad too that you chose to stay with us!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here for New Years, despite some problems with the "Cocoa and Carriages" package -- wasn't really worth it. Jesse, the manager, did go all out to make up for those problems and that's a huge plus.

The location right on the square is perfect, with King Street and all the best of downtown Charleston right outside the front doors. We wanted a quiet room for NYE and got one on the back, so the view probably wasn't what most visitors want, but it was perfect for us. Room itself was very nice: comfortable bed, spacious, nicely decorated. Valet and doormen were great.

A few drawbacks: The furniture and walls had visible wear-and-tear, our door had seriously chipped wood around the lock that we couldn't figure out (trying to break out?), and the very tiny bathroom had an odd shower configuration. The elevators are really slow and one had a light out, and the restrooms below the main floor aren't so pretty. I know those sound like minor, nitpicky items, but things like this factor into the overall experience and perceived value, and are the difference between 5/5 and 4/5.

In short, we'd probably stay there again, but we'd also look into a few other options we saw while walking the historic area.

Tip: Visit Virginia's on King just a couple blocks north for excellent breakfast/brunch, and don't miss the nearby Closed For Business if you love craft beers and gastropub fare.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Happy New Year! Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. We appreciate the feedback. We are in the process of painting the doors of the rooms, and we have a large elevator project that just started this week, which should make the elevators more efficient. I am sorry to hear that you had a problem with our package, but I am glad to hear that Jesse was able to make up for it. We are doing some retraining on that package. I hope you do choose to stay with us again next time you are in Charleston.
Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My boyfriend surprised me with a weekend stay in SC. I'm pretty simple when it comes to hotels. I don't need the most expensive or luxurious. I must say, when we arrived at this hotel, I was in awe. For starters, the hotel staff are very professional, courteous and helpful. The hotel is located in walking distance to nearly everything is near downtown Charleston.

The hotel, itself, is absolutely beautiful with an old fashioned charm. Actually, I was drawn in at the lobby. It is filled with beautiful chandeliers and piano (visitors are asked not to play the piano as it is reserved for the hired musician). The room we had was equally beautiful and spacious. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our hotel, and I appreciate you sharing on Trip Advisor. I will pass on your great comments to our staff. We look forward to your future stays with us.
Peachtree City, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed a two night stay at this hotel. The lobby is beautiful, especially at Christmas, with lots of comfortable seating. Our corner room was lovely and spacious with a desk, dresser and vanity. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was compact but I really liked the open shower-roomy with plenty of hot water. The concierge gave us great suggestions for things to do and places to eat. Located close to shopping and restaurants we walked from the hotel. We did not use the spa but it is nice that it is there. There is a free shuttle you can use that picks up across from the hotel. I would highly recommend the Francis Marion Hotel and I look forward to returning!!

Room Tip: We were on the 9th floor in a corner room and we had a great view of the city.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for recommending our hotel on Trip Advisor, and we look forward to your return stays with us!
Bradenton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Wonderful hotel. Staff professional, courteous,and knowlegeable.
Lobby and music delightful ... a real treat! Bellmen were genuinely interested and interesting.
The concierge ( can't remember her ame ...my fault , not hers) was amazing and so hospitble ,made you feel like one of the family ( hers, not ours).Restaurent staff were equally as professional and FRIENDLY! Totally enjoyable 3-4 days/

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your great experience on Trip Advisor. I will pass on your nice comments to our concierge.
Fort Worth, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I really wanted to love this hotel. It's historic and charming in a great location, an easy walk to the best spots in Charleston. My stay started with the key not working after a very long day of travel. No problem the maintenance staff replaced the batteries and saved the day. Since this is a historic hotel the rooms and bathrooms are quite small or shall we say cozy. Thankfully the bed was large and very comfortable which is really the most important part of a hotel room. Once I was in the room I found the sprinkler system near the ceiling looked like it had leaked for a long time and had not been fixed (see photo) but wasn't leaking at the time. On the last day of my stay, the sprinkler started leaking onto a chair which ended up getting some of my clothes wet right before packing which was not ideal. To top off the stay, the hot water wasn't working the morning I left so I ended up taking a cold shower, packing my wet clothes and leaving disappointed.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate the feedback on Trip Advisor. I am so sorry to hear that your stay began and ended not so well. I will certainly have our Maintenance Team look into the problem with the sprinkler. The hot water problem was fixed later that day, but I apologize that you had to experience it. If you would like to contact me, I would love to do something to make up for your disappointing stay (valerie.ross@thefrancismarion.com), and I hope you will give us a second chance.

Been to Francis Marion Hotel? Share your experiences!